Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Observant donk tips my hand (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=343892)

rurollin 03-01-2007 06:13 PM

Re: Observant donk tips my hand

[ QUOTE ]
I think she was in violation of the rules and could be thrown out of the card room. I would call the floor over and explain what happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

AngusThermopyle 03-01-2007 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

After all, its the thought that counts and they honestly think that they are giving me good advice which will cost them money and will benefit me. I just pretend that they handed me a $5 bill and react accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
The woman opened her mouth in the middle of a hand. The "thought" was "See what a great player I am that I found this tell" and it cost OP money. She was not doing out of the kindness of her heart.
You make a play on the Turn and I announce to the table what I think you are doing (and I am right). You think I should be thanked for showing you that you are easy to read?

chube 03-01-2007 06:20 PM

If she said something like, "His pulse is racing, he has a very good hand", then I think you have something to be angry with.

However, since it seems like she didn't think it affected the play it seems more likely that she just pointed out that your pulse rate was up. This still leaves it up to your opponent to decide whether that is because you are strong or weak. Remember that most people don't know what these tells mean. Still, she was a bit out of line, but nothing to get too worked up over.

AngusThermopyle 03-01-2007 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it seems more likely that she just pointed out that your pulse rate was up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same difference. You do not volunteer information to a player while he is in a hand. Period.

Wongboy 03-01-2007 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

After all, its the thought that counts and they honestly think that they are giving me good advice which will cost them money and will benefit me. I just pretend that they handed me a $5 bill and react accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
The woman opened her mouth in the middle of a hand. The "thought" was "See what a great player I am that I found this tell" and it cost OP money. She was not doing out of the kindness of her heart.
You make a play on the Turn and I announce to the table what I think you are doing (and I am right). You think I should be thanked for showing you that you are easy to read?

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding from the OP was that she pointed out a specific tell, which really was a leak in the OP's game. I agree that this cost the OP some portion of $45 (depending on how much it swayed the guys decision to fold). For the sake of argument, lets say that it cost $45 exactly (villian was dead set 100% on calling and her observation was so convincing that he decided to fold).

My point is that the OP now knows that he has this tell and can address it, or he can use it as a false tell, or whatever. This knowledge will benefit him on every poker hand that he plays for the rest of his life, which should be worth a heck of a lot more than $45. Net effect is that her comment was positive EV for the OP, positive EV for the villian in the hand, and negative EV for herself. It was also negative EV for all of OP's future opponents.

Anytime an opponent gives up EV for my benefit, I am thankful.

AngusThermopyle 03-01-2007 06:43 PM

I understand your point. My quibble was with the quoted section, implying that she thought she was giving him 'advice' or that she had an atruistic motive. If she had said it after the hand, or off to the side, she should be thanked. But I think her motive was self promotion and the 'benefit' to OP was not on her radar.

bav 03-01-2007 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More likely the neck. It's kinda like the shaky hands tell. If you see a vein on somebody's forehead or neck throbbing, you know they have a monster or at least they think they do.

[/ QUOTE ]
In a home game once I had two little pair and was facing a big bet from a very LAG guy who loves to bluff me (and he knows I know it and I know he knows I know it, etc...). I look over at him and he's trying to sit very still but I see his neck thumping... *THUMP*THUMP*THUMP*THUMP*THUMP* I smile and say "nope" and muck face up. He had a monster and throws a hissy fit.

Yes, thumping neck is a good one.

And I do think a good way for OP to get over his anger is to appreciate that someone told him of this tell. That's a great gift. Yeah, she shoulda told you after the hand, but in the long run, learning things like this will likely be worth more to you than what you maybe didn't pick up in this case. But obviously the other player was VERY VERY wrong to say anything during the hand.

Wongboy 03-01-2007 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand your point. My quibble was with the quoted section, implying that she thought she was giving him 'advice' or that she had an atruistic motive. If she had said it after the hand, or off to the side, she should be thanked. But I think her motive was self promotion and the 'benefit' to OP was not on her radar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Her primary goal appears to have been attention and she inadvertently ended up benefitting the OP and hurting herself. I am just pointing out that the OP got a net positive benefit, so he shouldn't really be too upset with her.

Sure, she could have handled this so that the OP's benefit was even greater and basically transferred the positive EV she gave to villian so that OP got that EV as well. This would have been illogical behavior for her since her desire was to show off, and she would have been deprived of the attention she so desperately needed.

If I had noticed the tell, I would have kept my mouth shut and exploited the OP all night long. Then again, I don't feel the need to show off at a poker table. I get enough attention from other areas of my life - like posting on 2+2 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

mutiger91 03-01-2007 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Her primary goal appears to have been attention

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I more than satisfied her on that front [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dynasty 03-01-2007 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think she was in violation of the rules and could be thrown out of the card room. I would call the floor over and explain what happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way this woman is being thrown out of the room or given any other official sanction. People talk about hands all the time. It's part of the casual conversation which happens at the table, especially in small stakes games.

The OP shouldn't have reacted at all other than possibly to casually say something like "I had top pair. I knew it was good." His inability to control his anger after the hand and his inability to control his bulging blood vessels are probably linked.