Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   limit take more skill (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=342276)

HoneyBadger 02-28-2007 09:11 AM

Re: limit take more skill

[ QUOTE ]
seriously, whats the point of the question? 100% the answer is subjective. What takes more skill, MotoGP or F1 on the same track?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thata depends on the track [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

CardSharkGames 02-28-2007 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm off to bed right now so i dont feel like typing out the exact reasons but i will say this:

1) limit takes more skill
2) luck is a bigger factor in limit

these two points don't contradict each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree that "luck is a bigger factor in limit" simply because in NL, the consequences of bad luck (or good luck) can be so much greater.

For example, when someone makes a bad call against me in limit and hits a 2-outer, I only lose a few chips. When that happens in NL, I lose my whole stack.

Harv72b 02-28-2007 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to disagree that "luck is a bigger factor in limit" simply because in NL, the consequences of bad luck (or good luck) can be so much greater.

For example, when someone makes a bad call against me in limit and hits a 2-outer, I only lose a few chips. When that happens in NL, I lose my whole stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Short term, yes. Long term, a skilled NL player enjoys a much greater advantage over an unskilled ("lucky") one, because he will gain more from every mistake his opponent makes.

James. 02-28-2007 11:39 AM

well, i've played both LHE and NLHE for a living. unfortunately my NLHE experience is skewed by being almost exclusively live, so it is tough to compare since most of my LHE experience is online. they truly are different animals, as has been pointed out in this thread.

the biggest difference between the two for me is variance. i could play an entire session of NL and catch very few cards and make up for it in a single hand, or be able to utilize my tight image in profitable bluffing situations. in LHE if you go card dead or run bad it often takes a substantially longer period of time to recover the bets lost.

even though you might miss value by making a particular play in NLHE(nothing is more frustrating than checking a turn or river or betting 2/3 the pot and realizing you could have been double or tripled up if you would have shoved or put someone else all-in), in LHE since the bets are not as quickly recovered it is often crucial to not spend more on a hand than it's value relative to the pot suggests is profitable or miss out on value with a hand that, relative to your opponent's range, is putting money in with the best of it.

so the answer is, they both take skill. at one point in time, NLHE was behind LHE in terms of skill-set development so maybe there was a day that LHE took more "skill" to beat an average game. with the recent poker boom and revitalization of NLHE, i think the game has progressed in a short period to the point it has caught up with limit in terms of required skill-sets so i would speculate that, as has been pointed out, to be successful in both varieties they require equal levels, but different types of skill.

Frond 02-28-2007 01:46 PM

Well said James.

Not really comparing apples to oranges but more like comparing Red apples to Yellow apples I guess. Similarities but differences as well.

I still play low limts of both games live. At first it was a bit hard going back & forth between the two games but now I find it easier and each game tends to help the other one because they both make you think of various ways to play hands. I think that perhaps one of the problems that some NLHE players have with playing limit is that some of them tend to dismiss LHE as just a luck chasing game when they are used to having hands like big pairs hold up in NLHE vs. getting drawn out on in LHE in a multi way pot. You can usually spot them pretty quickly as they say things like, "It is no godd to raise pf with my 2 Kings because I get drawn out on anyways!" That is when LHE gets dismissed as a non-skill pker game. Kind of solidifies the idea of starting out first playing limit and then NLHE. I think it is easier to transition from Limit to NL than the other way around. Skill is needed for both games