Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   I can't take college football seriously (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=274568)

TheRover 12-04-2006 03:49 AM

Re: I can\'t take college football seriously

No, baseball is probably the worst.

I don't see how anyone could ever know who the best CFB team is very often.

bernie 12-04-2006 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The worst? So more games means less decisiveness? ok

b

MyTurn2Raise 12-04-2006 03:55 AM

I think it's that the baseball playoffs don't define the best team nearly so often

the regular season does a much better job

wilcards = ratings and $$$ however, and that has won out

TheRover 12-04-2006 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

If the team with the most regular season wins was the champion you would have a point.

bernie 12-04-2006 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying the difference between a couple teams resting some starters the last game of the season and major college football teams scheduling not only some crap ass teams that they are 4+ TD favorites over, but actually scheduling teams a division below them is not something in CFB's favor.

Let me know the next time you even see an NFL teams as a 3 touchdown dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Houston might've been that big of dogs in some games the last couple years.

Actually, CFB teams scheduling crap teams or 1AA doesn't really help them.

Unless you're ND. Then everyone you beat is considered top 10.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG MY POINT IS HOW EXACTLY THE HELL IS THAT DIFFERENT FROM RESTING YOUR STARTERS ONE WEEK, RARELY TWO, EXCEPT THAT IT HAPPENS LESS OFTEN IN THE NFL. IT'S PRETTY RIDICULOUS TO ACT LIKE COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS SUPERIOR IN THAT ASPECT. NICE JOB GETTING A DIG IN A NOTRE DAME AS WELL IT WAS VERY CLEVER IT HAD MAYBE BEEN AT LEAST 3 OR 4 POSTS BY YOU SINCE THE LAST TIME SO IT WAS CLEARLY OVERDUE

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice caps. How about breathing into a paper sack?

The thing is, if a college team loses to those crap teams it hurts them much more than if an NFL team loses, if it hurts the NFL team at all. Do you understand that? It doesn't really help a college team to play those games. Regular season games mean more in CFB.

Example from last year: Indy v Seattle. Indy didn't really care about that game since they had home field locked and it showed. The loss wouldn't hurt them. Would you ever see 2 top teams in college FB do that near the end of the season?

It also happens less often, primarily, because the NFL has only 1/4 the teams. Though it does seem to happen at least once a year with teams near playoff time.

If the NFL had 117 teams, you'd see cupcakes on some of the schedules.

And yes, I will dig on ND as often as I can for the overrated team that they are.

b

bernie 12-04-2006 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's that the baseball playoffs don't define the best team nearly so often

the regular season does a much better job

wilcards = ratings and $$$ however, and that has won out

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't it pare down who's more deserving to go to the post season better than any other sports? I think given that it has 162 games that it does.

Playoffs can be a who's hot at the moment in any sport. Isn't the idea to get the best teams to the point of playoffs?

b

bernie 12-04-2006 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

If the team with the most regular season wins was the champion you would have a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why have playoffs at all? MLB over how long that season is, will weed out the best teams over 162 games for the playoffs. You're really saying that's less decisive than any other sport? You really think better teams are being left out of MLB playoffs than in other sports?

b

Needle77 12-04-2006 04:12 AM

If you want anything in College football get a +1. Where 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3 then the winners play each other. I see this being a real possibilty as it keeps the bowl games available. Only thing that might piss people off is that a team may play 15 games which is turning into the NFL schedule. But, at least we wont have as much of this bitching.

TheRover 12-04-2006 04:15 AM

You keep missing my point.

Point is that both the CFB games against jobbers and NFL teams resting some starters is essentially irrelevant for both. When is the last time a national title contender lost to a Div. 2 team? The last time a legit contender lost to a team is was favored against by 4+ TDs? These games don't matter when they are never lost.

There is probably less variance in one NFL playoff game than a seven game series in baseball.

TheRover 12-04-2006 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why have playoffs at all? MLB over how long that season is, will weed out the best teams over 162 games for the playoffs. You're really saying that's less decisive than any other sport? You really think better teams are being left out of MLB playoffs than in other sports?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm saying there is an asston of variance in a single MLB game and an asston in a single series. It's not about being left out of the playoffs. Why are there so many more upsets in an MLB postseason than NFL? You can't actually believe St. Louis was the best baseball last year or really even close to it.