Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Peter Jackson dropped by New line for Hobbit - wtf?? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=265525)

neuroman 11-22-2006 02:55 AM

Re: Peter Jackson dropped by New line for Hobbit - wtf??

[ QUOTE ]
watch it through a "this is gay" perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]
mmkay

Dr. Strangelove 11-22-2006 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think he did a particularly craptastic job with the trilogy so this should be an improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is the second time I've agreed with borodog about anything.

evil twin 11-22-2006 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, the LOTR movie trilogy was merely okay.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahhh, OOT goggles. The land where supermodels are a 6/10 and the LOTR trilogy was "OK".

The once and future king 11-22-2006 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriosuly LOTR are the most overrated movies over the past years...

THEY ARE so long and stupid and not interesting... why do people like them??

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, and I nearly everyone I know thinks the same. Not that I think they are bad films as such just prety meh and underwhelming.

Given the source material a much better job could have been done.

Any strenght in the films is from the source material and not Jacksons totaly formualic treatment of it.

7ontheline 11-22-2006 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Given the source material a much better job could have been done.

Any strenght in the films is from the source material and not Jacksons totaly formualic treatment of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am amazed by people who say this. When was the last time you read this trilogy? It is often the height of fantasy cliche (in large part because it established many of the cliches). If Jackson strays too far from the original people will bitch and moan. If he sticks straight to it (say, like the 1st Harry Potter movie) then he gets accused of being completely derivative and boring. I thought he did a very good job of balancing the two extremes, giving a movie true to the story but cutting some of the needless crap, e.g. Tom Bombadil.

I love the books as much as anybody, but I think that they are actually not that easy to translate to movie form. The series is really long and overly detailed in many parts, and character development is not always very good at all. I think given these issues Jackson did an excellent job. You are all free to disagree but I'd like to hear what specific issues were the problem. I agree that there are parts that are formulaic (in my mind, particularly much of the story arc of Eowyn in the movies) but overall I think he did a good job of humanizing the characters and telling a story.

Quinn Warren 11-22-2006 05:59 AM

At first I loved them, mostly because I was a recovering fantasy nerd. Then it just became obvious how "epic" they tried to make every shot. It got really old by Return of the King.

I prefer fantasy movies where they let the environment exist, and don't constantly try to call attention to how SPECTACULAR it is.

samjjones 11-22-2006 10:23 AM

I'm pretty sure the studio and Jackson are just jockeying for position. The studio is saying "eff you...you'll do the film because we own the rights and are the only game in town", and Jackson is saying "eff you...I have the fans on my side."

After both sides realize how much money is at risk, they will reach a deal.

I enjoyed the LOTR films, although I did not enjoy them as much as the original SW trilogy. But I think he did a relatively good job given the density of the story.

gurgeh 11-22-2006 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, the LOTR movie trilogy was merely okay.

The Hobbit is on a level above the rest of Tolkien's works. I hope they don't ruin it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jackson has an excellent grasp of how to play to the largest audience. Unfortunately, that involved inserting idiotic dialog, turning at least one character into comic relief, and over-emphasizing special effects. I don't think he did a terrible job, but I think that the masses shouting "instant classic" made his films the most overrated movies of their respective years.

The Hobbit is a little more geared toward a younger audience, and I really hope that doesn't turn it into some goofy crapfest. I have no idea if Jackson would do it better or worse than whoever replaces him, but I think if he had made it we could guarantee many extra fat guy jokes involving Bombur. That is, if he didn't needlessly kill him at the end like they did in the cartoon.