Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ~~~Unofficial Baseball Offseason Thread~~~ (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=258653)

JordanIB 11-13-2006 05:33 PM

Re: ~~~Unofficial Baseball Offseason Thread~~~

Kaz Matsui signs a 1 year deal with the Rockies.

yellowdoyle 11-13-2006 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I am suprised Aramis signed so soon with the Cubs. He figured to have significant interest from the Angels, Dodgers, maybe even Padres, as well as the Cubs.

And the Orioles continue to be horrible. I wish that the Angels could somehow pry Miguel Tejada from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Angels have one of the top shortstop prospects in all of baseball in Brandon Wood...Why would they want an aging Miguel Tejada?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Angels were going to ask Tejada to play 3rd base. Rumor was if he would have agreed to this the deal would have been made before the trade deadline.

I love B. Wood, but with Aramis being signed by the Cubs and the Dallas McPherson headed to bustoville, Tejada would be a huge upgrade for the Angels at third.

- Note - Saw on MSN today that the White Sox are looking to move a starter? Is just this because they have McCarthy? They don't really need offensive help do they? Not sure what they would be looking to gain unless it is prospects...

kolotoure 11-13-2006 06:24 PM

I think D-Mac would be a good hitter if he could stay healthy for any amount of time

rwperu34 11-13-2006 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tigers: overpaid for sheff by a lot (more in terms of contract extension than prospects)

[/ QUOTE ]

Who would they be able to get for $41m over 3 years that's going to outproduce Sheffield over that time?

MikeyPatriot 11-13-2006 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- Note - Saw on MSN today that the White Sox are looking to move a starter? Is just this because they have McCarthy? They don't really need offensive help do they? Not sure what they would be looking to gain unless it is prospects...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they definitely need to move someone. You can't leave McCarthy in the bullpen (where he doesn't seem very comfortable). Something needs to be done in the OF. You can't have Brian Anderson and Scott Podsednik hitting .250 all year. I've heard rumors that they are looking at acquiring Crawford, Roberts, or Figgins. I'd be very into acquiring Crawford, not so much the other two (as it doesn't solve the problem).

Sox are pretty set next year. They need to shore up the pen, solidify the outfield, and maybe find someone as insurance for Crede's back.

kolotoure 11-13-2006 06:41 PM

As an Angels fan I hope they trade for Figgins

Iron_Yuppie 11-13-2006 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Biggio: 1 year, 5.15 mil..... 2006 OPS: .727 His VoRP has to be pretty low. But 20 is a big round number, and he's "Bigs"! I guess if you can make a guy the highest paid player in the game without actually playing in a game (Jeff Bagwell), you can do this, too. But what do I know? The Cardinals won the WS with (the heavily-acclaimed by JIm Leyland) David Eckstein and Yadier Molina, two of the most mediocre players around, playing regularly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was pretty surprised Biggio got a raise; he's obviously not worth that for his contributions on the field. I was worried that he would drag the Astros down next year while trying to get to 3000.

But, if used properly, he can still be an asset:

Home(B/O/S/OPS) .298 .346 .522 .868
Away(B/O/S/OPS) .178 .253 .288 .541

Left(B/O/S/OPS) .297 .373 .532 .905
Right(B/O/S/OPS) .233 .288 .394 .681

And, if defensive metrics are to be believed, he is one of the top defensive 2B in the NL.

If they just start him at home, and on the road against lefties, he'll get the 70 hits he needs while still helping the Astros win.

yellowdoyle 11-13-2006 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As an Angels fan I hope they trade for Figgins

[/ QUOTE ]

Listening to the Big Show (Olberman and Patrick) a couple weeks ago I think Olberman mentioned how the Angels would not want to deal Figgy (and Santana presumably) for Arod. He said that Figgy provided more value to the Halos then Arod would. I seriously couldn't believe it.

kolotoure 11-13-2006 10:36 PM

I wouldn't like to deal Ervin at this point but I wouldn't hesitate to get rid of Figgins

THAY3R 11-13-2006 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tigers: overpaid for sheff by a lot (more in terms of contract extension than prospects)

[/ QUOTE ]

Who would they be able to get for $41m over 3 years that's going to outproduce Sheffield over that time?

[/ QUOTE ]

JD Drew for starters.