Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   OOT snowboarders - help me get started (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=235388)

scotchnrocks 10-13-2006 02:12 PM

Re: OOT snowboarders - help me get started

[ QUOTE ]
I learned very quickly to cross my arms over my chest like I was doing a sit-up whenever I fell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. I broke my wrist snowboarding last year and it sucked.

mason55 10-13-2006 02:37 PM

Hahaha god learning to snowboard [censored] sucks. Might be one of the hardest things I ever did, although I'm glad I did it when I was really young and the pain wasn't as big a deal. Except now instead of hitting my head on the snow and ice I hit my arms and ribs on rails and boxes [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

cumicon 10-13-2006 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hijack, but any opinions of people who use skis like these:
http://www.iwankerl.com/OberGatlinbu...ShortSkis2.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Be prepared to be made fun of.

chipchampion 10-13-2006 03:25 PM

If you really skated from 5-14, you shouldnt have much trouble at all. I'd reccommend e-bay or a ski-swap (or a friend w/ proform) for all your purchases, although if you are buying your boots on ebay go to a shop and try them on before you buy them.
Weight has more to do with choosing the correct board size than height does, but assuming you are about average sized, i'd say look for a board in the 158-162 range.

As far as what brands to buy, there are many choices. (as long as they arent a ski company) Everyone knows that Burton is the [censored] (great products/warranty program) If there is a defect w/ any of your equipment they have a policy that you send it to them and they fix it or ship you a new one within 48 hours.
There are many other brands though that are just as good/better, yet more underground (so you'll look more "core") such as Rome, LibTech, Neversummer, Nitro..

Make sure you buy your clothes in either XXL or XXS, so you can be gangsta or hesh, whichever style you prefer, and be sure to have at least 4 or more bandanas w/ you at all times, one around the face and the others hanging from your pockets.
Polypropelene/capeleine long underwear is the best, and that w/ decent jacket/pants (possibly a fleese if ur a poon) will be plenty for Tahoe.
A helmet is a good idea, and there are several out now w/ built in headphones/bluetooth capabilities. I'd recommend either Red(burton) or Gyro. A helmet(along w/ your boots) is another thing that you MUST try on before you buy it.

A lesson helps, i took a few w/ my dad when i was really young, although how many skating lessons did you take?

Within a day/few days w/ or without lessons, you will be linking turns down those gnarly blue squares, and from there you will just keep progressing. Also, ride w/ people that are better than you, and it will help a ton.

Lastly, have fun ripping for the next month while i sit here in this bitter cold MT weather waiting for the resorts to open.

poker-penguin 10-13-2006 03:43 PM

The gear question has been answered - pay attention to your own temperature level though. Personally I ride in a long sleeved very thin moisture control running shirt, and then either just a jacket (with the zip out fleece layer in if it's below about -20 or particularly windy) and then just a pair of ice-climbing trousers (nothing like freeballing in -40 :s). On the other hand, a friend of mine rides in two pairs of polyprop, a tshirt and shorts, a fleece, then jacket and trousers.

It is safer to be too warm than too cold, but there is a big difference in temperature between sitting on the chair (especially if it is exposed) and riding, especially if you're falling over. So get a decent jacket with air vents.

Get a lesson. Maybe two.

However, do NOT get it immediately.

The first stage or two of most snowboard instruction is piss simple stuff designed for babysitting kids and cvering the resort's ass (standing on the board with one foot in and sliding it along the ground, then sliding down the hill on one edge).

Spend a day doing this yourself - you'll do more because you don't have to wait for the other muppets in your group. You also don't need an instructor to tell you that the steeper you dig your edge in the slower you slide down the mountain (oh wait, one just did) and stuff like that.

Once it comes time to actually ride (making linked turns) though, that's about when you want to get a lesson from a real instructor (not one of your buddies, unless they are a patient person and a good teacher with technically accurate skills). Turning is so fundamental you don't want bad habits sneaking in if you can avoid it.

Then practise practise practise, until you feel yourself stagnating and or you're ready to learn to carve. Then again it's worth a lesson.

If Canadian Rockies resort standards are the same as American, you should be able to ride blue square runs by the end of your second day (and by this I mean I was able to and I am not a natural athlete and had never done any board sport before).

If you skate though, really try to get your weight forward, if you're on the fun terrain you'll get punished if you're on the back foot (powder days excepted, but even then, I've found initiating turns from the front helps).

ata 10-13-2006 04:04 PM

As for practical things, make sure all outerwear you buy is waterproof. Not water resistant, water proof. I can't stress this enough for your pants and gloves (goretex gloves are ideal). Next, do not go cheap on the board. The only way I'd recommend going cheap is if you plan to buy a new one next year once you get better and know what kind of board you want. If you plan on using the same one for a while then buy a decent one. I would recommend not buying a used board. If you want a good all around board that will last you a few years, buy a Burton Custom. They're expensive but worth it. Do NOT buy it if you have a shoe size larger than 10. If you're larger than 10, make sure you get a wider board (width>250mm). But if you're only size 11, don't get a WIDE board as they're too wide. Yes it's a pain in the ass, I have size 11 feet and it's the biggest problem I have with finding boards. Most mountains have demo boards you can take out for a day. If you rent for your first day or two, then try out some demo boards on your next few days, you should have some sort of an idea what you like before you buy. Buy your boots before you start your first day.

As for your looks:

Don't dress like a gay skier.

-goggles should be mirrored (Dragon or Electric are good)
-do NOT buy matching coat and pants (the same solid colour is fine, but not a matching pattern)
-pants should be loose and baggy and worn low with a belt
-ideally get a skateboarding-type helmet made for snowboarding

Though don't try too hard to look good because there's nothing worse than someone who dresses the part but is a complete noob.

Thanir 10-13-2006 04:19 PM

http://www.unrskiswap.com/

Go there next month, tons of stuff cheap

1/10-12 (2nd weekend in Nov) 26th Annual UNR Ski Swap (aka University Nevada Reno Ski Swap)

tyler_cracker 10-13-2006 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-pants should be loose and baggy and worn low with a belt

[/ QUOTE ]

this advice is awesome if you want your ass to be cold and wet all day.

arsoisaen 10-13-2006 04:36 PM

looking at yoru loc (reno), assuming your gonna be doing northstar/heavenly/squaw

for a new person i wouldn't say a helmet is vital, you wont be going fast enough or hitting jumps to really warrant a helmet, also people tend to lean towards heelside when they first learn so a lot more falling on your butt as opposed to falling on your face.

that being said, the two vital things to get are wrist guards and a good good pair of pants. i have a set of north face pants, only cost me 100 at an outlet, and although they aren't a snowboarding brand it is still very good material. wrist guards will run you around 20 bucks, as for board/bindings/boots i just bought the cheapest ones i could on ebay. well close to cheapest but still decent quality i guess. at the lower end its all the same, your going to be thrashing that stuff around all over the place, no point in starting off with a nice one

Aukai 10-13-2006 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for a new person i wouldn't say a helmet is vital, you wont be going fast enough or hitting jumps to really warrant a helmet, also people tend to lean towards heelside when they first learn so a lot more falling on your butt as opposed to falling on your face.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a former patroller, this is bad advice. It is never too early to get a helmet. Fall backwards on a patch of ice and hit the back of your head- goodbye, consciousness! I've hauled people off the mountain completely unresponsive that fell from standing around on the side of the run and hit their heads on the hardpacked snow. Also, as a beginner, you have less ability to brake and stop suddenly, and if you go flying towards a signpost or tree, you'll be happy you had a helmet on.

After what I've seen, I can tell you honestly that the $80 of prevention (and don't forget the $20 wrist guards) are well, well worth the insurance against a lifeflight, neurosurgery, and ICU bill. Even for beginners.