Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Your Opinions About Jim Cramer (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=234777)

Wolffink 10-26-2006 04:24 PM

Re: Your Opinions About Jim Cramer

I like him.

His book is excellent, IMO.

One big difference--in his book he talks about opportunities in say 100Million small cap stocks. And usually he doesn't talk about them much on his show because they're too small. He talks a lot about big cap stocks and they're less profitable and also heavily studied by the biggies on Wall Street.

But it's like a lot of things. Some of the things he says makes sense. Like I did buy Google after he talked about high Google's growth rate was v. its P/E. But even though he is constantly pushing SEARS--I just can't see it. It's P/E is high. And Sears, quite frankly, still sucks. Maybe I'm wrong. Jim Cramer thinks Sears is the next Berkshire Hathaway and his friend Eddie Lambert the next Warren Buffet. Ya. Maybe. But I don't see the fundamentals in SEARS. If it dropped 50% in price--I'd buy it though.

He also is compared on his picks where someone calls and he says "buy" or "sell". Some sites compare his picks to what a wonder monkey might do and Cramer sometimes wins and sometimes doesn't.

I don't put most of his recommendations in the same category as stocks he might deem a triple buy or a stock he pushes quite hard (like Sears, Google, Goldman-Sachs).

midas 10-26-2006 05:07 PM

No serious investor watches this show unless they are looking for sell signals. He's good entertainment but light on facts - he rarely talks about valuation multiples or insightful industry facts.

Remember the addage - "Those who can, do - those who can't, teach"

wiseheart 10-27-2006 03:19 AM

I only watched Cramer's Mad Money once, but I can
say that his show helped one of my positions a lot.
I had bought ESLR at ~$6 Two weeks later, Cramer
recommends it on his show, and the stock shoots up
to like $9 or $10 and Im thinking awesome, Im already
at my target, so I sold. The stock shot up all the
way to $17, so unfortunately I missed out. Its hard
to know how much was Cramer and how much was the
value of the stock and oil prices, but either way after
he recommended it, it shot up. Of course, 6 months
later it started to drop, and now sits at ~$8.60

NajdorfDefense 10-27-2006 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No serious investor watches this show unless they are looking for sell signals. He's good entertainment but light on facts - he rarely talks about valuation multiples or insightful industry facts.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you've beaten his audited 30%+ track record? Wow, that's pretty awesome.

"Those who can't teach, criticize."

FoxwoodsRounder 10-27-2006 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you missed the whole, 30+%/year over 12 years while managing his hedge fund....i'd say that qualifies as someone who "can"....

cramers show can be very helpful for noobs so long as they dont hang on his every pick and actually do some research before they buy his picks....the show is more of a tool to give you ideas, not necessarily to choose your portfolio....

MilkMan 10-28-2006 08:17 PM

he shouts too much

midas 10-28-2006 09:20 PM

I don't buy his self-proclaimed track record.

BTW, if you could do 12-15% per year you could easily be managing $$$ billions.

He's like the no-money down real estate guys -- selling the book/seminar because you really can't make money following their advice.

Thremp 10-28-2006 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, if you could do 12-15% per year you could easily be managing $$$ billions.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sin't exactly true. Some things you do to make greater risk-adjusted returns might not translate to a larger scale. Diseconomies of scale.

midas 10-28-2006 09:32 PM

Correct - I'll adjust - If you can make 12-15% on an ever increasing portfolio, people will throw money at you and you be managing billions.

BTW, there are many examples of this in hedge fund world and they aren't Mr. Cramer.

LucidDream 10-30-2006 02:03 AM

Here is the thing you have to remember about him. He has a 1 hour TV show 5 days a week. He has to fill that time somehow so he spends it picking stocks and going over other peoples picks that they call in with.

Of course if you take every 1 of his picks and add up all the gains and losses it isn't going to be as good as if you had just gone with a core 5-10 stocks. If you add up all 1000 stocks you basically are the market so your results will match what the market is doing.

You need to find the stocks that he really loves and then investigate them. If you don't really love it too for whatever reason then don't buy it. If you do really love it then go ahead and buy. But don't just take any old stock just because he said to buy it and buy it. He has to fill that air time with something and it is picking stocks...so find the best ones and go with those.

Also get as much info as you can and read and learn from others too. Inform yourself as much as possible.