Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Trip to San Francisco... Things to do? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=214620)

Boris 09-18-2006 06:22 PM

Re: Trip to San Francisco... Things to do?

I don't know that there's that many "must see" things to do in SF. I would pick up a copy of the SFWeekly and browse through it looking for interesting things to do. I'm sure you'll find something.

allaboutmyfetti 09-18-2006 06:23 PM

get pozz'd ... twice

Aloysius 09-18-2006 06:34 PM

Dave - you know I've gotten really spoiled by the Dim Sum places here in LA. Definitely not saying Ton Kiang is terrible (and from the couple places I tried in SF, it was prolly the best IIRC).

More that if I had a couple days in SF, I don't think it's really awesome (and no old Chinese ladies pushing carts around [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). and don't really consider Dim Sum one of the great SF food offerings, like, say Mission burritos or something, so personally wouldn't make a point of recommending for a short stay.

If I get Dim Sum in the Bay Area, I go to Koi Palace in Daly City.

-Al

David Steele 09-18-2006 06:38 PM

Cappuchino at the Cafe Trieste in North Beach

Dave

The DaveR 09-18-2006 06:41 PM

Al, Next time in LA I'm going on a Dim Sum binge.

Boris 09-18-2006 06:43 PM

IME Dim Sum in SF is overpriced. But maybe they gave me the wrong menu. SF is a great place to great food for relatively cheap bot not for dim sum, imo.

TheAntiPuritan 09-18-2006 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP - Exploratorium is surprisingly fun, I used to live right by it.
-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

this was one of the few things I felt like I missed out on while in the area for 3 wks this summer. Its rated as one of the top-10 science museums in the country (don't recall exact ranking).

also as Brusier mentioned, sushi. I am running out the door, but there is the best sushi I have ever eaten a short drive south of the city in Santa Cruz. I'll post it when I get back from movies.

oh and preorder alcatraz tickets -- they will sell out a week in advance.

proell 09-18-2006 06:49 PM

Perfect timing for visiting.
It's been freezing cold here pretty much until yesterday.

Alright, here's a few more...

- The Slanted Door (at the newly-refurbished ferry building. Great food, nice to be by the bay with the lights of the bridge in the background)

- Aqua has good food. Maybe a little pricey.

- The Beach Chalet is a bit more laid back. Great place to grab some dinner and watch the sunset over the ocean. Have a few beers in the garden then go for a nighttime stroll on the beach.

- lots of sushi options. I'll throw Blowfish in there cuz it's on the top of my head.

so much good food.

Aloysius 09-18-2006 06:53 PM

Dave - you will not be dissapointed. There are some ridiculously delicious (and cheap) places in San Gabriel Valley. PM me next time you're in LA, I have a good list with best dishes I can send to you that has been thorougly vetted by Taiwanese and Chinese people.

I want Dim Sum right now.

-Al

ren hoek 09-18-2006 06:57 PM

go to the castro for some sweet nightlife. they have the hottest chicks there.