Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Greatest Comic Book Movie of All Time - Final Four (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=209609)

EricW 09-11-2006 05:30 PM

Re: Greatest Comic Book Movie of All Time - Final Four

[ QUOTE ]

Edited since I just saw your response. What can I say, I like the pre-2004 system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'm being a nit but now you're just not budging because you know you're wrong. The pre 2004 system makes no sense at all.

EricW 09-11-2006 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen Batman > 10x. It is quite over the top and stylized. That is part of why it is great. Batman Begins was boring and broody like an emo song. Spiderman was also great. Let's have a ticklefight if you don't agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess by that logic, Tim Burton movies are the best movies ever because they are all over the top and super "stylized."

Georgia Avenue 09-11-2006 05:51 PM

That's not "logic". It's just some statements. Here are some more:
Some Tim Burton movies are great.
Some are not so great.
Some Tim Burton movies are over the top.
Some over-the-top movies are great.
Some are bad.
Batman was an over-the-top movie, a bit silly, directed by Tim Burton. It was great.
So it goes.

This is logic:
Batman Begins was emo.
Emo is bad.
Batman begins was bad.

swede123 09-11-2006 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Edited since I just saw your response. What can I say, I like the pre-2004 system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'm being a nit but now you're just not budging because you know you're wrong. The pre 2004 system makes no sense at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are definitely being a nit. How would I decide which is a higher seed between Sin City and Batman Begins if both had the same user rating at IMDB? I agree that both these movies were higher ranked than either of the other two but how would I decide which one should face the lesser of the remaining two (X2 got a 7.9 and Batman a 7.5)? I do see your point about ranking each group based on the #1 seed in each group and perhaps I'll consider doing that for the next movie poll I propose. The bottom line remains, the ultimate best movie has to overcome all opponents before it can be considered the best. Whether that happens in the final match-up or a previous round just adds flavor. Also, many people (myself included) think the Burton Batman movie is better than Batman Begins, so there is always going to be differing opinions about this stuff.

Swede

Keepitsimple 09-11-2006 06:05 PM

I think batman begins and sin city are clearly above the other two and its a shame they face of in the semis.

EricW 09-11-2006 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are definitely being a nit. How would I decide which is a higher seed between Sin City and Batman Begins if both had the same user rating at IMDB? I agree that both these movies were higher ranked than either of the other two but how would I decide which one should face the lesser of the remaining two (X2 got a 7.9 and Batman a 7.5)? I do see your point about ranking each group based on the #1 seed in each group and perhaps I'll consider doing that for the next movie poll I propose. The bottom line remains, the ultimate best movie has to overcome all opponents before it can be considered the best. Whether that happens in the final match-up or a previous round just adds flavor. Also, many people (myself included) think the Burton Batman movie is better than Batman Begins, so there is always going to be differing opinions about this stuff.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, you DID rank each group based on the number 1 seed.

Sin City has a higher ranking than Batman Begins, Batman Begins has a higher ranking than V for Vendetta, and V for Vendetta has a higher ranking than X-2 (http://imdb.com/chart/top)

Is it a coincidence that each of these top seeded movies were placed in a different group? Is it also a coincidence that the top seeded movie is in group 1, the 2nd over all seeded movie is in group 2, the 3rd seeded movie is in group 3 and the 4th overall seeded movie was in group 4? Of course not. If the overall seedings didn't matter to you, you would have put for example, Sin City and Batman Begins in group 1 but you didn't do that.

Essentially what you created is a system where the top 2 overall seeded movies will NEVER be able to meet in the finals - they will ALWAYS meet in the semi finals assuming that they make it all the way there.

The way you have things set up, assuming that the top 4 over all seeds make it through their groups and meet in the final 4, then the 1st and 2nd seeds are forced to meet in the semi finals and the 3rd and 4th seeds also meet as a result. So you're telling me that the 3rd and 4th seeds should make it into the finals automatically? Logically, this makes no sense at all.

And how do you decide which top 2 seeds should face the remaining two (ie X2 and Batman I?) The solution is quite simple and does not deviate from the logically sound post 2004 march madness system. Since X2 came from the 4th group , it should be facing the winner from the 1st group. And since Batman 1 was the winner from the 3d group, it should face the winner from the 2nd group.

Having the top 2 seeds clash in the semi finals makes no sense at all.

gamblore99 09-11-2006 06:12 PM

I never read the comic books of Sin City, though I liked the movie. Still, it didn't measure up to any of the other 3.

I am also suprised by the lack of love for X2, I thought that was a pretty sweet movie.

swede123 09-11-2006 06:12 PM

Eric:

You are truly the king of nits. You quote what I type but miss the entire point I'm trying to make.

Swede

WayAbvPar 09-11-2006 06:50 PM

I just happened to catch Sin City AND Batman (Keaton) over the weekend. I was amazed at what I had forgotten about each movie. Sin City is just FANTASTIC. Batman, OTOH, is really not that good. I think it could have been much better if it had a better director. Burton is clownshoes.

jaffa 09-11-2006 07:17 PM

I just watched sin city for the first time.

Batman Begins was better.