Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Favorite movie critics and styles of reviews (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=149479)

benfranklin 06-29-2006 10:59 AM

Re: Favorite movie critics and styles of reviews

I like Ebert for his explanation of what he likes and dislikes, and for the fact that he is a true student of movies, and adds context and history to his review.

Another similar but less known reviewer (I believe his reviews are only online) that I like is James Berardinelli. Link.

Zeno 06-29-2006 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Zeno, once again, you err. I have that very same book; moreover, I have used his reviews in my writing classes to demonstrate how criteria is first established and then the film is evaluated according to those criteria.

In addition, I did, at one time, subscribe to Sleazoid Express, back when it was a four page black and white newsletter. In grad school I had posted to my office door a headline from Sleazoid Express which read: "Inside! See How They Live! Poor White Trash!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad it's only once! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

But all that aside, I feel like doing handsprings at your banner headline news. Moreover, this just proves that you are much like me. I hope this make you do handsprings as well.

Your Friend Forever,

-Zeno

Phat Mack 06-29-2006 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of these writers are really reviewers rather than critics, especially since very few are afforded the space to write real criticism; therefore, of necessity, the reviews tend to follow the formula you have described.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the distinction between reviewer and critic is. If some re-tells the plot of the movie is he a reviewer, whereas if he offers an opinion he's a critic? That can't be, because "It sucked!" is an opinion and doesn't take any space at all. So is criticism simply a review that is more fully developed?

pryor15 06-29-2006 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most of these writers are really reviewers rather than critics, especially since very few are afforded the space to write real criticism; therefore, of necessity, the reviews tend to follow the formula you have described.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the distinction between reviewer and critic is. If some re-tells the plot of the movie is he a reviewer, whereas if he offers an opinion he's a critic? That can't be, because "It sucked!" is an opinion and doesn't take any space at all. So is criticism simply a review that is more fully developed?

[/ QUOTE ]

a criticism tends to analyze the work, while a review tends to pass judgement. not a great answer, but it's an effective summary.

GambleGamble 06-29-2006 03:49 PM

...whatever movie they hate I go see, because it usally means its stupid and meaningless and that defines me

Phat Mack 06-29-2006 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a criticism tends to analyze the work, while a review tends to pass judgement. not a great answer, but it's an effective summary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely put. I'll defer to your analysis...er, judgement....uh...summary.

MrMon 06-30-2006 01:00 AM

Ebert is too generous with some of his reviews, but he has his reasons. That said, I can't but help like a guy who has directed me to more good obscure films than times he has sent me off in the wrong direction. For that, he has my eternal thanks.

Skip Brutale 06-30-2006 01:38 AM

I pretty much always agree with Ebert. We seem to have identital taste in movies.

KaneKungFu123 06-30-2006 09:06 AM

Ebert is great, except when it comes to commedy.