Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Why doesn't Paul Phillips play anymore? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=107841)

db9db9db9 05-09-2006 02:53 AM

Re: Why doesn\'t Paul Phillips play anymore?

Phillips isn't even close to being a "big time Scrabble player", even now. His rating is barely over 1400. The best players are at least 1800, closer to 1900.

Now Jim Geary, he's a big time Scrabble player.

ActionFreak 05-09-2006 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the retards who said he is busto. He had a net worth of hundreds of millions. I suspect he got his fill and he is satisfied. He definately isnt in to poker for grinding the vegas 10/20 tables............

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for clearing that up for us

MrMorden 05-09-2006 09:46 AM

You dont get it do you? If he played fillmaff, he s definetely BUSTO!

WhiskyRiver 05-09-2006 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Phillips isn't even close to being a "big time Scrabble player", even now. His rating is barely over 1400. The best players are at least 1800, closer to 1900.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe by "big time" he meant he plays a little bit more scrabble than the average joe (although I could be wrong). Paul himself is the first to admit he's not a "big time scrabble player" per your definition.

anduril 05-09-2006 11:34 AM

what else do weird, anti-social introverts do with their time besides scrabble anyway?

prohornblower 05-09-2006 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He plays tournaments against plenty of people ranked that high, and holds his own. He usually has a losing record, but against that competition, he does quite well.

I enjoy reading his scrabble blogs. I started dabbling into the Scrabble world after reading his blogs. The game is funner than I thought, and there is more strategy to it than I'd realized before reading his blog.

prohornblower 05-09-2006 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what else do weird, anti-social introverts do with their time besides scrabble anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't he state in his blog once that he's extroverted? He stated his Jung-personality type and I believe it was E something. This was about a year ago.

db9db9db9 05-09-2006 12:29 PM

"He plays tournaments against plenty of people ranked that high, and holds his own."

Not to quibble, but this just isn't true. He doesn't even play in the same division as the best players.

CrayZee 05-09-2006 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It appears from his blog he has dumped poker for Scrabble, not joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. wtf. weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be a nerd, but that's pretty cool, if it's true. Once I get bored with poker, I'll probably move on as well...probably not to Scrabble, though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So I can relate at least a lil bit. But then again, there's so much variety in poker.

Bridge, backgammon, chess, and gin rummy might also be good times for him when he gets bored of Scrabble.

Daliman 05-09-2006 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy reading his scrabble blogs. I started dabbling into the Scrabble world after reading his blogs. The game is funner than I thought, and there is more strategy to it than I'd realized before reading his blog.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd like to challenge.