Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Great Cocktails (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=515115)

KotOD 10-04-2007 04:32 PM

Re: Great Cocktails

[ QUOTE ]
KotOD,

I'm surprised you put the Sidecar under sweet dreck. It's a perfectly legitimate cocktail, and it's not very sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sidecar was under the "gimmick" category, not "sweet dreck"

Gimmick is a category reserved for cocktails without a standard liquor in it -- the category originally started because of people ordering thinks like Alize and Orange Juice. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] It's something that we came up with when we were talking to our FOH manager way back when. I supposed I could have a less offensive name for it, but it's deeply-rooted in my vernacular.

R*R 10-04-2007 04:44 PM

Are you also going to add in a touch of Triple Sec? Let me know how it turns out. I guess we could call it the Rakeback Wookie.

bigmonkey 10-04-2007 04:47 PM

OK I may have accidentally made an observational blunder when it came to the mango and pomegranite cocktail. I'm thinking now that it's probably something to do with the glass that it looks like there are different colours in it. I don't have any other glasses though.

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/490/pict0262hu9.jpg

Myth debunked I think.

MrWookie 10-04-2007 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
KotOD,

I'm surprised you put the Sidecar under sweet dreck. It's a perfectly legitimate cocktail, and it's not very sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sidecar was under the "gimmick" category, not "sweet dreck"

Gimmick is a category reserved for cocktails without a standard liquor in it -- the category originally started because of people ordering thinks like Alize and Orange Juice. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] It's something that we came up with when we were talking to our FOH manager way back when. I supposed I could have a less offensive name for it, but it's deeply-rooted in my vernacular.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brandy is not a standard liquor?

govman6767 10-04-2007 06:03 PM

I gotta go with my poker table favorite.

GRASSHOPPER

Milk or Half and Half
lots of creme de menth
lots of vodka

wooo wooo GREAT POKER DRINK

phage 10-04-2007 06:16 PM

A Negroni.

I love Campari so I am biased

KotOD 10-04-2007 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Brandy is not a standard liquor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to a bartender that is humping drinks. Going down to the end of the well really screws up the flow [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Rootabager 10-04-2007 07:24 PM

I really like vodka tonics. I dont know if that is fancy enough to post.

Mojitos are really getting popular too. They are pretty good.

Cosmo's taste good but I cant make myself order one.

MrWookie 10-04-2007 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A Negroni.

I love Campari so I am biased

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one classic I have not tried. I've been unsure whether I'd like Campari, so I've never bothered to buy a bottle. One of these days I will, though.

esad 10-04-2007 08:05 PM

A great classic cocktail that is easy to make and tastes great with fresh ingredients

Greyhound

5 oz Grapefruit Juice
1 1/2 oz Gin

Optional - Sugar or Sweetener if you like a sweeter less sour drink.

Serve over crushed ice

The key here is fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and good gin (Bombay Sapphire ftw). This is great drink for girls that don't like that alcohol taste because the gin really goes well with grapefruit and this is super easy to make at a house party or whatever. Just squeeze the juice before in a pitcher and then add it and the gin to a glass when it's time. Can also be served with some chopped fresh mint on top for an even classier look.