Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Special Sklansky Forum (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Two More "Axiom" Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=328931)

George Rice 02-11-2007 06:00 PM

Re: Two More \"Axiom\" Questions

1. No. Change the dog to my boss and then it's a closer decision.

2. I really don't care. If I had to choose (you're holding a gun to my head) then the later one, the one in less (but still intense) pain through no fault of his own. But in practice, everyone has some fault and the smoker isn't 100% to blame.

Do we get to pick the people in pain?

3. Who's consistent all the time?

obss 02-11-2007 06:11 PM

Okay, what if the dog is a smoker? What then?

ALLEN CONRAD 02-11-2007 06:43 PM

I think people are saying no to question one to fast due to one mistake. They are choosing between having a headache for an hour or killing a dog. When the question is actually having a migraine headache or killing a random dog with a 10 % chance at life past three days. What's the difference you ask?

A headache is a condition of pain in the head; sometimes neck or upper back pain may also be interpreted as a headache. It ranks amongst the most common local pain complaints.

Migraine is a painful neurological condition, of which the most common symptom is an intense and disabling episodic headache. Migraine headaches are usually characterized by severe pain on one or both sides of the head. Migraines are often accompanied by photophobia (hypersensitivity to light), phonophobia (hypersensitivity to sound) and nausea.

George Rice 02-11-2007 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think people are saying no to question one to fast due to one mistake. They are choosing between having a headache for an hour or killing a dog. When the question is actually having a migraine headache or killing a random dog with a 10 % chance at life past three days. What's the difference you ask?

A headache is a condition of pain in the head; sometimes neck or upper back pain may also be interpreted as a headache. It ranks amongst the most common local pain complaints.

Migraine is a painful neurological condition, of which the most common symptom is an intense and disabling episodic headache. Migraine headaches are usually characterized by severe pain on one or both sides of the head. Migraines are often accompanied by photophobia (hypersensitivity to light), phonophobia (hypersensitivity to sound) and nausea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay then, put down my boss.

ChrisV 02-12-2007 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean that both here and in other past threads, you clearly seem to hold the axiom that various acts never belong to a class of ones that are always wrong no matter the context. Thus it's all "relative", and some otherwise objectively evil acts become acceptable because of discrete subjective circumstances, and there are no exceptions that are always wrong and can never be permissible no matter the circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

What BluffTHIS is saying is that you belong to the school of moral philosophy known as consequentialism. The opposing school of deontology is often adhered to by theists. Almost everyone is a deontologist to some extent. Human liberties are deontological values; for example, freedom of speech. If you knew in advance that the publication of cartoons depicting Muhammad in Jyllands-Posten would lead to riots in which 139 people worldwide were killed, would you suppress publication? If not, why not?

wilneedheart 02-12-2007 04:12 AM

are you people bored?

heresjohnny 02-12-2007 05:01 AM

1. Yes
2. X

Have you been watching Jigsaw?

BeerMoney 02-12-2007 05:32 AM

1.) Absolutely!!

2.) The patient who did not smoke.

chezlaw 02-12-2007 07:54 AM

1. I hope no.

2. No preference.

chez

johnnyrocket 02-12-2007 10:43 AM

1)No, a migraine is not too bad to deal with and not worth it to the dog.
2)Y simply it was knowledge known to him so i dont feel for him