Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   High pitched squeal coming from a newly built computer (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=509428)

LeapFrog 09-27-2007 05:28 PM

Re: High pitched squeal coming from a newly built computer

[ QUOTE ]
...but some old DOS games used to actually play tunes through it, and Microsoft even had an unsupported driver for Windows 3.1 that would play real sound through it, which you could use if you didn't have a sound card. The audio quality was very poor...

[/ QUOTE ]
No way man, 'Greensleeves' never sounded finer then when played through the pc speaker. Go King's Quest.

Splashpot,

Well if it is not your fans/drives/powersupply/pc speaker it pretty much has to be something on your motherboard.

Can you narrow down where the sound is coming from? Dunno if anything like this would work but perhaps if you took a cardboard tube like from a roll of paper towels and put it up to your ear and searched the various quadrants of the mb with it? *shrug*

Like I said upthread I have a problem with a singing capacitor (or some component as I could never pinpoint the source) -- because this was build two after getting a dead board I just said to hell with it and kept the mb. Sounds like your noise is very loud though and you can't ignore it (also it could very well be a sign of a sick component, obv) -- I would just RMA the board. I know that sucks after getting the build finished, but what can you do. Just make sure to double check everything again to make sure it really is a problem with the MB as rebuilding again only to find out it is the PS would suck.

Beavis68 09-27-2007 06:15 PM

there is typically a little speaker on the MOBOs too for little beeps and stuff when windows alarms at start up.

_dave_ 09-27-2007 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

there is typically a little speaker on the MOBOs too for little beeps and stuff when windows alarms at start up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been looking at reviews of the MB listed, I can't see a speaker in the pics. Given this:

[ QUOTE ]

Ok. Disconnecting the PC speaker wire didn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am now running out of ideas... I second LeapFrog's suggestion of using a toilet roll tube or similar to find where the hell the noise is emitting from.

I am surprised any component (other than the PC Speaker) (in a seemingly working computer) could make a noise described as a "significantly loud"

splashpot 09-27-2007 11:21 PM

I just removed my video card completely and tried booting up. NO NOISE!!!!! Does that definitely mean it's the vid card or could it still be the mobo pci-e slot?

I'm just pumped that I figured this out.

splashpot 09-27-2007 11:43 PM

YES!!!! I didn't realize the vid card had to be plugged into the power supply. It's been a long time since I've built one of these things and vid cards didn't need extra power back then. Man, I'm pumped. Thanks to everyone who helped me think this through.

LeapFrog 09-27-2007 11:43 PM

edit:

never mind -- glad you figured it out

splashpot 09-27-2007 11:49 PM

lol, you wasted your 1000th post on me.

LeapFrog 09-28-2007 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, you wasted your 1000th post on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

at least your avatar soothes my pain a bit, heh

CORed 09-28-2007 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YES!!!! I didn't realize the vid card had to be plugged into the power supply. It's been a long time since I've built one of these things and vid cards didn't need extra power back then. Man, I'm pumped. Thanks to everyone who helped me think this through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I own two computers, one about six years old, the other three, and neither of their video cards has either a fan or an external power connection on them.