Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Facebook WTF? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=484580)

MC Chris 08-23-2007 02:10 PM

Re: Facebook WTF?

OP slinks back into the shadows.. sick backlash

otnemem 08-23-2007 02:12 PM

NajdorfDefense
Reged: 02/10/03

MC Chris
Reged: 08/17/07

Yes, slowly back into the shadows.

MC Chris 08-23-2007 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NajdorfDefense
Reged: 02/10/03

MC Chris
Reged: 08/17/07

Yes, slowly back into the shadows.

[/ QUOTE ]

please make the tiniest shred of sense next time you post, thank you

somethingstupid 08-23-2007 02:22 PM

Why put quotes around those paragraphs in the OP?

MC Chris 08-23-2007 02:27 PM

presumably they signify that he is "quoting" those paragraphs from another source

El Diablo 08-23-2007 02:45 PM

ND,

They have been doing this for a long time, it's just that the ads have been very generic in nature, thus low CPM. All Facebook users get all sorts of sponsored promos and stuff (sign up for a credit card, sign up for this sponsored group, etc.). The main thing they are talking about doing is utilizing the info they have better so as to target ads better, increasing response rates and thereby being able to charge higher ad rates.

KJS 08-23-2007 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is completely standard. Myspace is nothing but an advanced marketing device. It logs huge amounts of information based on the movies and music you like, and your interests.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just change your sex from male to female to see the difference.

KJS

NajdorfDefense 08-23-2007 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ND,

They have been doing this for a long time, it's just that the ads have been very generic in nature, thus low CPM. All Facebook users get all sorts of sponsored promos and stuff (sign up for a credit card, sign up for this sponsored group, etc.). The main thing they are talking about doing is utilizing the info they have better so as to target ads better, increasing response rates and thereby being able to charge higher ad rates.

[/ QUOTE ]

ElD, gotcha, I didn't know they already did that. I still think it will drive away users [using intensely personal info, as opposed to a/s/l], but perhaps I am wrong.

Link to WSJ somehow was removed. I blame...Dids.

El Diablo 08-23-2007 05:29 PM

ND,

It'll probably largely be based on collaborative filtering and network relationships and stuff, so I suspect you are very wrong and the vast majority of users will be 100% unaware that something is happening.

Example: Instead of getting a "Chase College Credit Card" offer, one person gets a "College Football Branded Chase College Credit Card" offer and another gets an "American Idol Branded Chase College Credit Card." I think it will be very rare for people to react negatively to this sort of stuff given the level of advertising they are already subjected to.

pepper123 08-23-2007 05:34 PM

"I don't have a Facebook/MySpace account"

is the new

"I don't have a television"