Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Most profitable foreign language? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=447026)

hauchen 07-11-2007 07:19 PM

Re: Most profitable foreign language?

Didn't read thread, but the answer is Mexican

SpiritBreaker 07-11-2007 11:06 PM

For communicating with random people around the world, spanish obv. The coolest pronounciation and sound japanese, you also get to watch anime wo. subtitles ^^. German, lol donkaments?

As mentioned China will be the next big thing, but also Russia's industry/economy is fast growing. Russian + chinese gogo

AceLuby 07-12-2007 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right now - Spanish

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure this? A lot of high end mexican\spanish clients or hiring mexican workers for $30 a day?

cata1yst 07-13-2007 09:40 PM

Mandarin for sure!

I am learning it right now and it is damn hard, but I enjoy it.

Chibana 07-14-2007 02:33 AM

mandarin for sure, but if your in Hong Kong Cantonese is the way to go since its the local language there.

Japanese is pretty much dead unless you plan to work in Japan or be a tour guide for Japanese tourists in areas of the world.

infinity235 07-14-2007 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
mandarin for sure, but if your in Hong Kong Cantonese is the way to go since its the local language there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately, people in Hong Kong CAN speak Mandarin, but people in the rest of China, well, they can't, or at least they pretend so.

Mandarin = quality Chinese.

FlyWf 07-14-2007 11:09 PM

Chinese(Mandarin)>Spanish>Arabic>Russian& gt;everything else.

Bad Beat Maker 07-15-2007 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't read thread, but the answer is Mexican

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this some sort of joke? Hope it is because you are either:

A) A [censored] idiot.
B) An unethical person (to not call you racist).
C) A [censored] idiot.

You pick.

---
My opinion: Spanish
No way influenced by the fact that I'm Puerto Rican and apparantly speak "Mexican."

<^>-.-<^> [censored]

mengzi 07-15-2007 06:40 AM

well i majored in chinese so i sure hope it will be profitable at some point...

of course you have to bring more than just language skills to the table. i haven't really looked at the job market as i am going to grad school, but i don't think anyone is going to be throwing money at you solely on account of your having taken 3 or 4 years of chinese in college(if anyone knows where they are, please let me know).

mengzi 07-15-2007 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
c'mon someone should make the distinction between Mandarin and Cantonese.

which of the two will be more useful in the future?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are written differently, but spoken similarly. If you learn one, you can "get by" speaking with someone using another, at least that's how I understand it. If you know "Chinese" you are generally OK speaking with people in Cantonese, Mandarin and Taiwanese - they are all close enough. You may not be able to pick up every word but enough to make do.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know others have already pointed this out, but this notion is completely ass backwards.

they use traditional characters in hk and taiwan, but other than the appearance of the characters being different, the written language is essentially the same(or at least that is my understanding; i haven't ever actually read anything from hk though)

cantonese is basically incomprehensible to a mandarin speaker. this is true for every regional dialect. italian and spanish are closer to one another than mandarin and cantonese(or shanghainese, or shanxi dialect, etc etc)

i could not imagine trying to learn cantonese. it has to be one of the most difficult languages to learn.