Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ording in Spanish at Chipotle, si o no? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=472793)

dlk9s 08-09-2007 12:09 AM

Re: Ording in Spanish at Chipotle, si o no?

I order in Hebrew at Goldberg's Bagels and Deli, so I say go right ahead.

Jon1000 08-09-2007 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the guy in front of my was super fluent and did it real nonchalant (sp?) then I wouldn't think much of it... But if you have the standard 4 yr high school spanish class thing going on you will look like an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is the correct answer. If you can speak w a real fluency and accent, I don't think it's condescending at all, but most people's spanish is worse than their english. I mean, they are taking orders all day in english.

otnemem 08-09-2007 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I doubt Chipotle is any more likely to have Hispanic workers than any other fast food place

[/ QUOTE ]
It is. I mean, I know hispanics comprise the majority of the fast food workplace (at least in Metropolitan areas), but I've never seen a non-hispanic working at Chipotle.

Big Poppa Smurf 08-09-2007 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also I doubt Chipotle is any more likely to have Hispanic workers than any other fast food place, and

[/ QUOTE ]at any rate it's not like you would need to speak spanish to them for them to understand you, they're not dumb.

What? Have you ever been in a Chipotle?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand, are you asking because I think hispanics and fast food workers aren't dumb or because you think Chipotle is more likely to hire hispanics?

At any rate generally speaking if you have problems ordering at a fast food restaurant or dealing with retail workers 95% of the time that's your fault, not theirs.

Big Poppa Smurf 08-09-2007 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also I doubt Chipotle is any more likely to have Hispanic workers than any other fast food place

[/ QUOTE ]
It is. I mean, I know hispanics comprise the majority of the fast food workplace (at least in Metropolitan areas), but I've never seen a non-hispanic working at Chipotle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, the one I've been to is usually white teenagers.

LetItBe 08-09-2007 12:56 AM

No, I was asking because in all the Chipotles I have ever been in, I think there were less than 5 non-Hispanic workers! I agree with what you said, but I definitely see a greater number working there than at any other fast food place.

Big Poppa Smurf 08-09-2007 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I was asking because in all the Chipotles I have ever been in, I think there were less than 5 non-Hispanic workers! I agree with what you said, but I definitely see a greater number working there than at any other fast food place.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok cool beans, I guess it's just a regional or demographic thing then

mason55 08-09-2007 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

ok cool beans

[/ QUOTE ]

racist

offTopic 08-09-2007 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you order in Gaelic at McDonald's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids 08-09-2007 02:19 AM

Not Chipotle, but there's a guy I work with who when we've been out at Mexican places badly rolls his r's and crap (think John Miller going to down on Adgres Galalagra) and it just comes off like he thinks it's quaint that the little brown people talk funny. There is a huge chance that if you do this, especially in a [censored] fast food joint, you will come off like an epic dbag.

I've taken Spanish, and I don't like pronouncing things wrong, but I don't bust out my best "I am Ramon from Senora Lewis's 8th Grade Spanish Class" accent either.

Just so long as you order Arroz Con "Poyo" and not "Polo" I think we'll all be ok.