Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   My Swing Video (Driver) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=488728)

midfielderdave 09-01-2007 09:18 PM

Re: My Swing Video (Driver)

[ QUOTE ]
RANGE! GO TO THE RANGE! You usually don't want to "try out new swings" while playing a round.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're exactly right, but I just haven't had the chance yet. I will definitely be heading out there. the course is not a good place to re-learn a swing technique.

midfielderdave 09-01-2007 11:05 PM

I've added two more clips of my "improved" backswing, but it still looks like I'm moving my head way too much. Please tell me if I'm making forward progress.
Thanks,
Dave

4 wood shot

pow....kinda

kyzerjose 09-02-2007 07:13 AM

4 wood
The angle the clip was shot at is almost useless.
From the looks of the hole, your target line was probably L center, with trouble on the R.
Check your hips & shoulders when you set up. It looks like they're both open to your line. It looked like your feet were on line.
There's a tendency amongst a lot of golfers to either open or close their shoulders and hips, depending on where there's trouble off the tee.
In either case, you're likely to hit the shot you don't want. Being open will produce either a slice or block right.
Being closed will cause a snap hook or dead pull left.
I'd still like to see you take the club away lower. You're head is still dipping too.

Future videos would be more helpful if they're shot directly behind and straight from the side.

thisnamedoesntfi 09-02-2007 08:33 AM

I really want you to understand that a lot of what is evidently a problem in your swing is caused by a poor set up. You clearly have way too much weight on your left side for a wood shot. I like the way you move all the way through your swing but there is a simple fundamental miss going on. If you are going to swing your arms that upright(and that's fine)you need to set up on your right axis more. If you are going to lean so far toward the target line on the backswing on your left side, you need to get the club moving more behind you, and flatter.

What I suggest you do is try both of the drills I mentioned earlier in this thread. Your clearly new enough to the game where good habits can be ingrained early if you go in the right direction.

Hit balls on the range with your left foot up on an upturned range bucket. Have your stance a little open so that your knees are square. You should feel like you have most of your weight on your right side and that your right side is really tall (your left even taller). Make the same motion you do now, and I guarantee if you keep your balance you will hit good shots.

JTrout 09-02-2007 10:33 AM

you are certainly makeing progress.
I'd like to see you stay level better through the swing.
I think the 2 drills Thisnamedoesn'tfi suggested will help.

Best of luck.

RacersEdge 09-02-2007 12:42 PM

You are still dipping your head at the start of the swing and the only way you can do that is to keep your weight on your left side and then flex your left knee. You want the opposite - your weight moving toward your right side.

It does seem like the range bucket trip mentioned by thisname would be perfect for you.

Weir 09-03-2007 05:10 AM

my advice:

1. last shot looked much better.
2. head still
3. weight back
4. tempo.

i think you need to just slow it down a little bit. It is okay to have a fast tempo ala nick price or greg norman, but it needs to stay in sync. On your bad shots your head moves a ton and your downswing starts before your backswing is finished.

midfielderdave 09-04-2007 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tee up a six iron on the range and practice hitting shots off your knees, the ball will hook a bit due to the lie angle of the club. The swing will feel really flat to you. Swing the club behind you then hit in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this drill is to work on my swing plane, am I correct? Do I have to make a grip adjustment or just hold the club like I normally would?

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing you could do is to hit balls with your left foot on top of a range bucket.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose this will help me put my weight on my right foot instead of left. Now what drill would be good to keep my head still?

So far my list of things to improve include:

1. shorter backswing
2. more weight on right side
3. keep left shoulder from dipping
4. minimize head movement
5. set up - alignment

Thanks for the tips!
Dave

Mark1808 09-04-2007 03:58 AM

You are not going to learn how to swing on a 2+2 forum but you have a classic reverse pivot caused by a poor hip and shoulder turn. You want to turn your hips so your right rear pocket turns back towards the target and you want to feel your left shoulder move across your body over your right thigh.

Your swing appears long because you lift your arms to try to create power that is lacking from your reverse pivot. You should not feel lift from your arms but rather a level turn with your hips and shoulders and your arms swinging along in unison.

thisnamedoesntfi 09-04-2007 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tee up a six iron on the range and practice hitting shots off your knees, the ball will hook a bit due to the lie angle of the club. The swing will feel really flat to you. Swing the club behind you then hit in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this drill is to work on my swing plane, am I correct? Do I have to make a grip adjustment or just hold the club like I normally would?

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing you could do is to hit balls with your left foot on top of a range bucket.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose this will help me put my weight on my right foot instead of left. Now what drill would be good to keep my head still?

So far my list of things to improve include:

1. shorter backswing
2. more weight on right side
3. keep left shoulder from dipping
4. minimize head movement
5. set up - alignment

Thanks for the tips!
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]
Number 2 will greatly reduce the need to work on numbers 1,3-5.

The thing I wanted you to get the most out of those two drills, was that you have good speed, and they will teach you what you said^^^^^, which is the obvious lesson, but I hope you'll also realize how little you have to move and still move the ball well.

Maybe I should make up a video of these drills....explaining them, and what the reasons for doing them are.