Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Law School Application Time (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=539897)

XxGodJrxX 11-11-2007 02:39 PM

Re: Law School Application Time

My schedule is Torts, Contracts, Criminal, Professional Responsibility, and Legal Research/Writing.

Easier than yours eh? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

XXXNoahXXX 11-11-2007 02:49 PM

Civil Procedure was the most boring class I've ever taken.

Civil Procedure is the only class that practicing litigators have told me is useful.

This frightens me.

eviljeff 11-11-2007 03:52 PM

yeah like 80% of my assignments this summer were procedural or in the gray area b/w substantive and procedural, but they were more interesting than my civ pro class and wayyyyyy more interesting than the two corporate assignments I did

nickg1532 11-11-2007 09:49 PM

i enjoyed civ. pro., but only because i liked the prof.

rivermetimbers 11-11-2007 10:51 PM

apply everywhere.. if you need a safety, in your situation you are a shoe-in for University of Maryland (which also is a pretty good school)

mlagoo 11-13-2007 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Civil Procedure was the most boring class I've ever taken.

Civil Procedure is the only class that practicing litigators have told me is useful.

This frightens me.

[/ QUOTE ]

man i loved civ pro. part of this may have been because i kind of felt like a superstar in the class, because i'd been working at a civil law firm for every summer i was in undergrad, and doing a fair bit of research. but i really liked the content as well. i guess it's just different strokes... crim bored the hell out of me.

actually, while i've not thought about law school in some time other than with a sort of loathing glance backwards, thinking about civ pro and just like... the civil litigation game, that i came to really enjoy watching/participating in during those few summers, has me feeling a bit wistful.

mlagoo 11-13-2007 10:02 AM

also, to actually respond to the op, noah is right that you should not limit yourself due to application price. borrow money from parents, do whatever you have to do, but this is one of the bigger investments you'll make in your life (and probably the biggest one you've made yet), so don't like a few hundred bucks deter you from giving yourself every possible opportunity.

actually, just listen to noah about all these questions. he knows what hes talking about. i think basically the LoRs and PSs, if they are REALLY good, can make a difference, and if you are a really marginal decision for a school, can make a difference... but typically its going to be a gpa+lsat+demographic calculation, with a few people falling on the bubble and a few people who get accepted just because they have a great life story/great recommendation. i know that in my case i had a great LoR that helped me get into schools that maybe i shouldnt have with my gpa/lsat/demographic (2.9, 164, white male from the east coast), but its not as though i suddenly got into nyu (although they had a very nice letter of rejection) (i had to apply to at least one absurd reach, right?).

playtowin 11-15-2007 11:32 AM

I don't mean to hijack but I was wondering if anyone can answer this question:
How much weight does being a minority have? If there is any general guideline, or if it's been answered before, please send me the link. Thanks.

eviljeff 11-15-2007 11:42 AM

it is worth 7 LSAT points and .2 GPA

Bork 11-15-2007 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it is worth 7 LSAT points and .2 GPA

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the minority though. Native American is the best!