Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   A Couple (Hopefully) Standard Plays from the Blinds (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=289366)

12-24-2006 09:42 AM

Re: A Couple (Hopefully) Standard Plays from the Blinds

hand 2: what do you think they're limping with?
that hand has an equity edge against 4 random hands for sure, but against 4 reasonable limpers' hands and oop, i'm not so sure.

*TT* 12-24-2006 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise with 44. Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]
...What????

[/ QUOTE ]

You have an equity edge here. My problem is I don't make plays like this enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is getting 13:1 to complete making this an excellent call because the odds of flopping a set is better than 13:1.(and he does need to flop a 4 to continue because 6 opponents means there is almost 1/4 of the deck out there, someone is very likely to get a bigger piece than the hero).

However if the hero raises - out of position we should add - the hero is making the likely odds 11.5:1.5, which is 7.6:1 - just barely better than the 7.34:1 it takes to flop a set but not a big enough overlay for me to consider a raise out of position but there is an exception to the rule. If the table plays in such a way that it is likely to freeze when the hero checks the flop fearing a monster waiting to trap, then I agree the raise is viable in the long run - but only with this table texture.

In short an equity edge is not the only deciding factor, with a razor thin edge the options should be considered in both directions.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

James. 12-24-2006 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
against 4 reasonable limpers' hands

[/ QUOTE ]

let's not get carried away here...

DeathDonkey 12-25-2006 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise with 44. Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]
...What????

[/ QUOTE ]

You have an equity edge here. My problem is I don't make plays like this enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is getting 13:1 to complete making this an excellent call because the odds of flopping a set is better than 13:1.(and he does need to flop a 4 to continue because 6 opponents means there is almost 1/4 of the deck out there, someone is very likely to get a bigger piece than the hero).

However if the hero raises - out of position we should add - the hero is making the likely odds 11.5:1.5, which is 7.6:1 - just barely better than the 7.34:1 it takes to flop a set but not a big enough overlay for me to consider a raise out of position but there is an exception to the rule. If the table plays in such a way that it is likely to freeze when the hero checks the flop fearing a monster waiting to trap, then I agree the raise is viable in the long run - but only with this table texture.

In short an equity edge is not the only deciding factor, with a razor thin edge the options should be considered in both directions.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also if hero will ever continuation bet the times he does not flop a set and doesn't have the best hand (assuming no one folds a better hand) then he is putting himself in a reverse implied odds situation and ruining the implied odds of his small pair at the same time, really bad. The JTs hand I consider standard because of the postflop playability (is that a word?) of the hand.

-DeathDonkey

James. 12-25-2006 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also if hero will ever continuation bet the times he does not flop a set and doesn't have the best hand (assuming no one folds a better hand) then he is putting himself in a reverse implied odds situation and ruining the implied odds of his small pair at the same time, really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

at no point when i raise pf in such a multiway pot OOP do i feel it necessary to continuation bet on the flop as a result of my action on the previous street. but i agree if that were the case that would be...the case.