Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Here's how terrible the Reds are. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=441964)

imitation 07-04-2007 12:09 PM

Re: Here\'s how terrible the Reds are.

Strange I thought this was going to be out the Queensland Reds (my home state in Australia) who just finished last in the Super 14 rugby team (14 teams from South Africa, New Zealand and Australia). But anyway go Reds.

MicroBob 07-04-2007 02:45 PM

imitation - evidently the "Reds" pretty much universally suck.

mosdef 07-04-2007 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
imitation - evidently the "Reds" pretty much universally suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

God is punishing them for having a pro-commie name. If they changed their name to "The Soaring Bald Eagles of Freedom" their fortunes would change immediately.

rwperu34 07-04-2007 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and whatever team takes on Dunn is going to be making the worst trade of the trade season.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

His options expire if he is traded, and Krivsky has reportedly wanted absurd things for Dunn.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so much that. It's that Dunn's K rate is up and his walk rate is down. If he mantains his career BABIP and HR/FB% with his current K and BB rates, he's looking at a line of something like .220/.320/.485. That's not good for what amounts to a DH.

rwperu34 07-04-2007 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

rwp,

my brother and i agree that the indians should be willing to give up chuck lofgren and someone like frankie gutierrez for griffey, which is a strong return. griffey's got 3 big selling points at the moment: 1) he's hitting real, real well (because he's real, real good when he's healthy); 2) he's healthy; 3) his contract is very very agreeable. according to ESPN, he's signed for 6.5M in 2008 with a club option for the same price in 2009.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be excellent return for the Reds. Even if it were David Huff with Guttierez, they should probably do it.

Griffey is actually owed rougly $6.25m for the rest of this season, $12.5m in 2008 and the team has a $16.5m with $4m buyout for '09. $6.25 is deferred at 4% interest to be paid from 2009-2024. Assuming they decline to option, they'd be paying $22.75m for 1.5 years of Griffey. Since some of that is deferred, the actual value is a little less. Even if you call it $14m/yr, that's a reasonable price, but not something that's worth a top prospect.

contract details

THEOSU 07-05-2007 02:44 AM

rwp,

hell of a link.

sure glad espn's info is accurate. 6.25 seemed awfully low, but i figured they kinda knew what they were talking about. silly me.

kyleb 07-05-2007 03:08 AM

Yeah, Cot's Baseball Contracts is a must-book for all baseball fans.

There is pretty much no chance the Indians will take that trade unless the Reds absorb a ton of the salary.

THEOSU 07-05-2007 05:07 AM

kyle,

at 6.25x2 more years it was a much more reasonable offer.

eurythmech 07-05-2007 06:56 AM

lol @ reds being terrible, we have TORRES

Neuge 07-05-2007 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really like this move...Somebody has to take the blame for the Reds terrible season, but I don't think it should have been Narron. Not much he could do with the bullpen he had.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Reds have a ton of problems, but Narron was a major one. He's completely incapable of putting together a batting lineup. He'd been leading off Scott Hatteberg for a month, had used nearly 70 different lineups this season alone, regularly batted Conine at clean-up... The Reds have a pretty clear top 4 hitters (depending on who's in center), but Narron was completely incapable of figuring it out.

As bad as their bullpen is, Narron can't manage a pitching staff either. He falls in love with his "flavor-of-the-week" reliever and uses them in 5 games in a row. When he's between favorite relievers, as someone else said, he keeps the starters in 400 pitches deep (though I don't know why Arroyo's non-pitching arm should be falling off).

And then there was the incident a couple weeks ago in Oakland that should get a manager fired on the spot. Down two runs in the ninth, after his flavor-of-the-week McBeth gave up the lead, he pinch hit 0.195 OBP Juan [censored] Castro for Josh Hamilton (who was 1-2, HR, 2RBI, BB). His reasoning? They needed to get something started and Castro was 1-1 career against Alan Embree (the one hit being a double 7 years ago).