Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Hypothetical Management Decision re: non-tipping patron of restaurant (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=541150)

Dids 11-08-2007 12:33 PM

Re: Hypothetical Management Decision re: non-tipping patron of restaur

Hypothetically if we know the guy is just a cheap [censored] and doesn't have a reason, as a manager I would be comfortable turning the guy away (assuming I don't have to answer to somebody above and empowered to make this decusions). I don't think there's much long term negative outcomes form this beyond losing one worthless [censored] customer.

And autograt would be the dumbest possible idea.

garcia1000 11-08-2007 12:42 PM

Take 6 hours to serve them

The Owl 11-08-2007 12:42 PM

At the middle-of-the-road family-style chain restaurant at which I waited tables, the manager would've told me to do my job or get out. At the fine-dining white-tablecloth restaurant at which I later waited tables, the manager/owner would've talked to the patron and asked them to leave if they refused to tip (or if they were a big customer the manager/owner would've compensated me herself). Once, at the nice restaurant, a couple came in for an anniversary dinner and some friends of theirs called ahead to leave a credit card number to pay for the meal. The owner told the friend that she was automatically adding an 18% tip, which the person agreed to. At the end of the meal the anniversary couple was so thrilled with the whole situation they gave me a hundred bucks, even while knowing that I was still getting tipped on the meal itself (which was probably $250 or so). So that worked out well for me.

AquaSwing 11-08-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And autograt would be the dumbest possible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just another way to tell the customer not to come back. Too bad he wouldn't get the hint.

BTW, people in the US who don't tip suck. Pay a minimal tip (10-15%) and work to get their wages raised. It's the culture in the US to tip and it's built into their income, so don't [censored] them because the system sucks.

Work to eliminate the need to tip.

Dids 11-08-2007 12:46 PM

If I was the customer and I got autogratted without being in a party of 6, I would essentially feel like you were trying to steal from me.

I never add an additional tip when I get autogratted for large parties anyway. I [censored] loathe the autograt.

supermangina 11-08-2007 12:48 PM

if you know they won't tip...spit in their food

Check out Waiting w/ Ryan Reynolds...pure jokes

ZOMG_RIGGED! 11-08-2007 01:12 PM

man, if show restaurant without an autograt policy randomly autograt'd me, I'd throw a [censored] storm like you've never seen. I think i'd go absolutly ape-[censored]

Constable 11-08-2007 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Work to eliminate the need to tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, we'll get right on that.

bottomset 11-08-2007 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was the customer and I got autogratted without being in a party of 6, I would essentially feel like you were trying to steal from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

they basically are stealing from you if they do that

jzpiano 11-08-2007 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they basically are stealing from you if they do that

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened to me the other night. The wife and I went out for dinner at Bennigans since we had a buy one meal with two drinks get a meal free coupon. We use it, bill came out to like $17.30 (should have been $14) after tax, it was like $22 before coupon. I see an autogratted charge for $3.30 at the bottom.

I understand why they did this, so the server gets tipped pre-coupon, but I always tip before and her service was exceptional and I was going to leave a $20 and call it a night. Instead I left nothing except the autograt because I was so pissed off about it. Server ended up losing out because of what I thought was company policy, do I feel bad about it, a little, but I should never get the autograt on a party of 2.

Random note: My parents used the same coupon (had 2 and they were expiring) at a different Bennigans, 5 miles down the road, on the same night and ran up a bill closer to $40, no autograt.