Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Rank the Mets' collapse (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=504478)

BobOjedaFan 09-20-2007 02:00 PM

Re: Rank the Mets\' collapse

I think this Mets collapse would be the 3rd worst ridiculous in baseball history...

51 Dodgers
64 Phillies
07 Mets

jogsxyz 09-20-2007 02:14 PM

If the Red Sox and Mets both fail to win their division, the Mets' collapse would rank below the Red Sox' collapse.

Wynton 09-20-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the Red Sox and Mets both fail to win their division, the Mets' collapse would rank below the Red Sox' collapse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that the Red Sox would still make the playoffs as a wildcard, and the Mets quite possibly wouldn't (if they lost enough to fall out of the divisional lead).

BobOjedaFan 09-20-2007 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No The Red Sox huge lead was a long time ago, AND theyde still make the playoffs. Plus, the Yankees are actually good. The Phillies suck.

AbreuTime 09-20-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The Sox still make the playoffs, so the significance of it is drastically reduced, IMO. It appears (currently) that the NL West will have the wildcard, so the Mets losing the division would have them watching the first round of the playoffs on tv.

JordanIB 09-20-2007 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Difference is the Red Sox have a nearly guaranteed fall-back. The Mets Wild Card fall back is not nearly as secure.

Tokyo!! 09-20-2007 02:40 PM

What about the fact that the RedSox basically will win the wild card 100%? I think that makes it less drastic imo.

BobOjedaFan 09-20-2007 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about the fact that the RedSox basically will win the wild card 100%? I think that makes it less drastic imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the Red Sox have a 5 game losing strk at the exact same time as a Yankees/Tigers 5 game winning streak. Oh wait, thats impossible and ridiculous.

DonkeyKongSr 09-20-2007 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'51 Dodgers is the greatest collapse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much about that season, but just from reading that, wasn't that more about the Giants getting superhot than the Dodgers choking? What were the records of both teams from August 12 on?

Tokyo!! 09-20-2007 02:58 PM

I think the 2005 Washington Nationals collapse was much worse than any of these mentioned. I don't see how they don't blow any of these other puny collapses out of the water.