Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Dim sum and other Cantonese food (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=493923)

By-Tor 09-05-2007 02:03 PM

Re: Dim sum and other Cantonese food

the best Xiao Long Bao in CA are at HC Dumpling in Cupertino Village.

We go there twice a week most weeks.

miajag 09-05-2007 02:43 PM

I've only had Dim Sum once, so there's a good chance I was Doing It Wrong (though there were some Asians with me for assistance), but I wasn't that impressed. I did like a lot of the various dumplings, but all in all I didn't think it was anything special.

I'm not opposed to trying it again, so any advice on what to eat/avoid would be appreciated.

SlowHabit 09-05-2007 03:32 PM

The only good thing about Dim sum is that Asian girls like it for breakfast/brunch.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-05-2007 03:35 PM

i am also a fan of chicken feet in various recipes. Xiaolongbao is my favorite.

Analyst 09-05-2007 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My favorite Chinese dumpling is Xiao Long Bao, or Soup Dumplings. I think it's not a traditional Dim Sum item and I don't see it everywhere (it's a Shanghainese dumpling, not Cantonese) but it is awesome.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

We tried a new (for us) place last week, and these were on the menu as "little buns" - no other description. Not expecting the soup, I bit into one and . . . where's the napkin?? Things went smoother after that and boy, are these tasty! I need to go to HC Dumpling soon and give theirs a try.

samsdmf 09-05-2007 04:13 PM

I am a huge Dim Sum fan, its become pretty much ritual for me to head to this relatively dingy Dim Sum place in London if I am there for more than a day or 2.
Before reading this thread I never really knew what I was eating (ever) they will come round with the dishs on trolleys and I will just point things out, I am sure I have eaten all sorts!
My favorite though is the 'Cheung Fun' it has the weirdest most amazing texture, fantastic!

The DaveR 09-05-2007 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Daver - huh, this just tells me you have to get out to LA more often! (Although, IIRC the Xiao Long Bao at Joe's Shanghai is really good.)

Oh, and as a slight aside... the Din Tai Fung in San Gabriel Valley (often noted as the best soup dumpling in LA area) is a bit overrated and I think not worth the weekend wait. The one in Taipei is ridiculously good though.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al, I totally agree that Joe's Shanghai is great (for xiao long bao and for food generally) and that a trip to LA should be in my immediate future.

El Diablo 09-05-2007 04:37 PM

Al,

Nice, I didn't realize that was a whole category of dumplings. Most SF area dim sum places have those (soup dumplings) as ginger-pork dumplings w/ a red rice wine vinegar dipping sauce. They are great, but if you're not expecting the soup, it'll explode like Analyst describes - and also maybe burn the hell out of your mouth!

By-Tor 09-05-2007 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Al,

Nice, I didn't realize that was a whole category of dumplings. Most SF area dim sum places have those (soup dumplings) as ginger-pork dumplings w/ a red rice wine vinegar dipping sauce. They are great, but if you're not expecting the soup, it'll explode like Analyst describes - and also maybe burn the hell out of your mouth!

[/ QUOTE ]

if they come with red vinegar, they are Cantonese dumplings (ie...2nd class dumplings) and not real Xiao Long Bao

Xiao Long Bao are served with a dark vinegar that I cannot recall the name of right now.

J.A.Sucker 09-05-2007 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Xiao Long Bao are served with a dark vinegar that I cannot recall the name of right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

We white man call it Black Vinegar. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Add ginger, dip, repeat.