Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   So what's the deal with "Atlas Shrugged"? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=299249)

Daliman 01-05-2007 03:35 PM

Re: So what\'s the deal with \"Atlas Shrugged\"?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just read a bit about it on Wikipedia, it appears that the book is pretty well aligned with many of my beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well, just to be clear, those beliefs are individual responsibilty and Athiesm. I didn't get too much more from it than that.

Ribsauce 01-05-2007 03:37 PM

Also skip that 80 page John Galt speech. I've read the book like 5 times and never read more than 1/3rd of that speech. I don't know anyone who read the entire speech.

Daliman 01-05-2007 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whatever you do, don't just read it and decide for yourself. By all means go to wiki, southpark, whatever. To read it yourself means you may have already fallen in the trap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, 1000 pages is a significant time investment. I guarantee there is a more productive way to spend my time, although I'm trying to expand my horizons some.

Dids 01-05-2007 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just read a bit about it on Wikipedia, it appears that the book is pretty well aligned with many of my beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well, just to be clear, those beliefs are individual responsibilty and Athiesm. I didn't get too much more from it than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about 1/2 way through Fountainhead, and this is a gross oversimplification of her philosophy (which is retarded).

I'm trying to write up something about my thoughts on the book halfway through it. The biggest ones are "writes pretty" and "lots of [censored]"

headturner1 01-05-2007 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also skip that 80 page John Galt speech. I've read the book like 5 times and never read more than 1/3rd of that speech. I don't know anyone who read the entire speech.

[/ QUOTE ]

this man knows what he is saying. I gave up on that way before the 1/3 mark.

PITTM 01-05-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is a gross oversimplification of her philosophy (which is retarded).

[/ QUOTE ]

the philosophy is retarded or the simplification of said philosophy is retarded?

rj

Sephus 01-05-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is a gross oversimplification of her philosophy (which is retarded).

[/ QUOTE ]

the philosophy is retarded of the simplification of said philosophy is retarded?

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty obviously the former

Daliman 01-05-2007 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about 1/2 way through Fountainhead, and this is a gross oversimplification of her philosophy (which is retarded).

I'm trying to write up something about my thoughts on the book halfway through it. The biggest ones are "writes pretty" and "lots of [censored]"

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's what I got from a quick skim of the Wikipedia entry on it. It could easily be wrong.

Caldarooni 01-05-2007 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont read it, it will brainwash you into thinking being selfish is a virtue. that's what happened to my friend and he never fully recovered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, there are no green eggs and ham.

Dominic 01-05-2007 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you read a book 5 times that you couldn't get through a part it once?