Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Job Interview For Bouncer/Doorman - What To Wear/Expect? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=492408)

bigshowmack 09-04-2007 06:54 AM

Re: Job Interview For Bouncer/Doorman - What To Wear/Expect?

I'd recommend khakis and a polo, and bring a copy of your resume. Be clean shaven. Focus on being polite and confident, and like others have said make sure that you can convince them that your demeanor and your people skills are your two most relevant selling points for employment. Working in bars is mind-numbingly easy, it just takes some patience and a thick skin. Any other questions, feel free to ask away. I've been doing it for 5 years, and have reached the point where I am a head now, and supervise like 30 guys.

Hopey 09-05-2007 02:18 PM

So did you get the job?

Patton4 09-05-2007 02:23 PM

My brother-in-law is a bouncer, so for his last birthday, my wife and I ripped off a Dimitri Martin joke and made it into a shirt for him. It's a plain T and it says:

How to Be a Bouncer

1. Stand in front of a door

2. Be an a**hole

He actually wears it on the job at the one place they let him get away with it.

CappyAA 09-05-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- What should I wear? Is black polo shirt and khakis ok, or dress shirt better?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the bar is very casual, you should be fine wearing whatever. Polo shirt and khakis would probably be more than fine. I'm sure most of the people that interview for that job would be wearing less than that.

[ QUOTE ]

- Bringing resume is standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't think you would need to bring your resume to apply for a bouncer position. Odds are they have an application you would have to fill out there anyways, and you already emailed your resume to them.

[ QUOTE ]

- What sort of questions besides job history should I be prepared for? I don't really think this is a job that is about upward mobility, so do I just lie about having goals to make a career out of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

As some have mentioned, you'll be asked questions on diffusing situations in the bar. Do not answer as if you resort to violence to get a person out. Don't lie or anything, but I'd stress that your number one goal is to keep the patrons and yourself safe and only resorting to physically removing someone from the bar after all other options have been exhausted.

[ QUOTE ]

- Will I be discounted for being too small? I'm 6'0, 250, lift 4x/wk, can bench my bodyweight, yada yada but I'd have no shot against some 6'5, 300 pound guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is big for a bouncer, IMO. I was a bouncer at a very busy college bar for a few years and I am 6'1", 210 lbs. You don't have to be a big musclebound meathead, you just have to have confidence and trust the people you are working with. FWIW I'll take a sober 6'0", 250 lbs. guy over a wasted 6'5", 300 lbs. guy any day.

Burdzthewurd 09-05-2007 03:29 PM

I showed up at 2pm and the bar was closed/both entrances were locked/lights turned off. The guy didn't leave me a number to call in the email he sent me back. Waiting for reply on what was going on (unless he meant 12am to 4am, which I really don't think one would assume when he said 12 to 4, also since the bar closes at 2am).

FlyWf 09-05-2007 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I showed up at 2pm and the bar was closed/both entrances were locked/lights turned off. The guy didn't leave me a number to call in the email he sent me back. Waiting for reply on what was going on (unless he meant 12am to 4am, which I really don't think one would assume when he said 12 to 4, also since the bar closes at 2am).

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you desperately need this job to pay the rent, I wouldn't have any other contact with these people. This sort of [censored] is generally a symptom of a larger problem.

DonkeyKongSr 09-05-2007 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you desperately need this job to pay the rent, I wouldn't have any other contact with these people. This sort of [censored] is generally a symptom of a larger problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the guy meant midnight to 4AM and the bar isn't open from noon to 4PM, I don't see what the issue is. If he meant afternoon and he wasn't there in the afternoon, then yeah, that place sucks.