Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Dogfighting, Sports memorabilia and now genetics. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=524669)

Exsubmariner 10-17-2007 12:43 AM

Re: Dogfighting, Sports memorabilia and now genetics.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This guy also knows more about the effects of someone's genetics on their life than you do. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is a racist, sexist, homophobic, old windbag. You somehow look up to him. Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Borodog is not a racist, sexist, homophobe or old windbag. I don't look up to him, just like him. Stop calling other posters names.

highlife 10-17-2007 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which assumes that "Intelligence must be primarily genetically based", but provides no proof.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obviously true. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there an accurate way of measuring intelligence? No
Have scientists proved the existence of genes responsible for intelligence? No
Do I see why? No

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly did intelligence evolve if there are no genes governing it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt that genes play some role in determining a persons intelligence. I do however doubt that intelligence is the only or even primary factor (ESPECIALLY considering why two asked, answered questions from me, that you quoted above).

Borodog 10-17-2007 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which assumes that "Intelligence must be primarily genetically based", but provides no proof.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obviously true. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there an accurate way of measuring intelligence? No
Have scientists proved the existence of genes responsible for intelligence? No
Do I see why? No

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly did intelligence evolve if there are no genes governing it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt that genes play some role in determining a persons intelligence. I do however doubt that intelligence is the only or even primary factor (ESPECIALLY considering why two asked, answered questions from me, that you quoted above).

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I have the English translation of this?

highlife 10-17-2007 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This guy also knows more about the effects of someone's genetics on their life than you do. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is a racist, sexist, homophobic, old windbag. You somehow look up to him. Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Borodog is not a racist, sexist, homophobe or old windbag. I don't look up to him, just like him. Stop calling other posters names.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was assuming you were referring to James Watson. "This guy" is somewhat vague.

Borodog 10-17-2007 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if intelligence is not genetically based, why can't I have a conversation with my cat?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so much better than the way I put it.

I do try have conversations with my cat though. He just hasn't found anything I've said interesting enough to respond to yet. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

vhawk01 10-17-2007 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was assuming you were referring to James Watson. "This guy" is somewhat vague.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if he was talking about Boro, then let me point out that Boro is a PHYSICIST so he doesn't know crap about genetics. A ball flying through the air or some planetary orbit crap, sure. But REAL science like biology and genetics? Ha! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Borodog 10-17-2007 12:51 AM

^ Correct ^

highlife 10-17-2007 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that strictly speaking, concluding the premise is a logical fallacy. However, if intelligence is not genetically based, why can't I have a conversation with my cat?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't have a conversation with a Zulu tribesman either. What does this prove?

Also, I never said intelligence was not genetically based. Re-read my original statement.

DblBarrelJ 10-17-2007 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
racist, sexist, homophobic, old windbag

[/ QUOTE ]

Attention Mods. I would kill for this as an Undertitle.

vhawk01 10-17-2007 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I understand that strictly speaking, concluding the premise is a logical fallacy. However, if intelligence is not genetically based, why can't I have a conversation with my cat?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't have a conversation with a Zulu tribesman either. What does this prove?

Also, I never said intelligence was not genetically based. Re-read my original statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason people are arguing with you is because you said that Watson talks about intelligence having a genetic basis without ever proving it. The point we are trying to make to you is that it is so self-evidently true that intelligence has some genetic basis that there is no reason for Watson to waste time proving it. If his whole argument depended on intelligence being 100% inheritable then yes, that would have been a grave oversight. But thats not what happened.