Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Just how young (and why) are the top players online? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=455672)

heater 07-20-2007 02:13 AM

Re: Just how young (and why) are the top players online?

[ QUOTE ]
"2 - young people have more time/energy to devote to the game"

This is IMO #1 by far. You simply dont have any responsibilities compared to a married guy in his 30's with kids and a house, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just time and energy. It's also a lack of financial responsibility. Most of these kids can burn through their bottom dollar without any real consequence.

fees 07-20-2007 02:35 AM

old people are stupid, ldo

Turn Prophet 07-20-2007 02:55 AM

How old is tuff_fish?

2461Badugi 07-20-2007 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1 - i think multitabling is a more difficult skill than people around here give it credit; look at how much trouble tuff_fish had playing 2 tables. you only get to nosebleed stakes by multi-tabling (or being phil ivey).

[/ QUOTE ]

From the hideously old age of 28, I have to concur with this. I can play two tables pretty comfortably, but more than that is just too much for my eyes and my arm. Don't expect to massively multitable forever. You may not get there as early as I did, but you'll eventually get there.

Ansky 07-20-2007 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
old people stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

Daliman 07-20-2007 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it'd be hard to dedicate enough time to be super successful at poker if you have a full time job. So most 25+yr olds already had jobs by the time poker had it's big boom. Also, wives + kids wreck your dreams.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate you.

Bavid Denyamine 07-20-2007 03:25 AM

shouldn't PA be on that list?

i'd assume a lot of older players don't do well online because of the pace of it. it's a lot easier to tilt when you are seeing a lot more hands per hour, and a lot easier to burn through a lot of money faster. the speed transition between live/online can't be ignored.

Benedict 07-20-2007 03:25 AM

I often see a lot of parallels between poker and the stock market, and I think the successful players in both are under 25 because of younger people are better able to cope with the stress of making snap-second decisions for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

KLJ 07-20-2007 04:13 AM

older (35+) people aren't good at thinking quickly for whatever reason, especially using electronics

Ron Burgundy 07-20-2007 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, wives + kids wreck your dreams.

[/ QUOTE ]

This needs to be repeated about 1000x.