Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Official WGA Writers Strike thread. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=542855)

KneeCo 11-10-2007 07:08 PM

Re: Official WGA Writers Strike thread.

[ QUOTE ]

The studios don't really care that much about the strike. The TV season so far was in the shitter..they can throw up reality which is much cheaper...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll give them some credit for not being retarded, may not smart but not retarded. Sure reality TV might do nightly ratings to keep companies paying for ad time, but what about all the money being lost on talk shows? all the money being lost on potential DVD sales/syndication this season would yield? and the fact that reality tv may be nice, but networks need their huge scripted series to anchor their line up.

I wouldn't doubt that they aren't losing much sleep over this, but this is hurting them and they know it.

RoundTower 11-10-2007 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TVWeek: The WGA said they dropped their demands for DVD residuals. How big of a concession was that?
Mr. Counter: None at all, because we would never have agreed to it—$56 million earned last year just for writers alone. And that’s not counting their profit participation.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know anything about this issue but he seems to be saying that is a lot of money. $56 million a year sounds like an absolutely minuscule slice of the pie in this industry.

suzzer99 11-10-2007 07:12 PM

Thanks CDS, you're officially forgiven for spoiling King of Kong. I've been wondering what all the issues are here. Man corporations are so [censored] stupid sometimes. I really think it's only a matter of time before we're all serfs in this country with large conglomerates playing the role of brutal totalitarian dictator. /tangent psycho rant

CharlieDontSurf 11-10-2007 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The studios don't really care that much about the strike. The TV season so far was in the shitter..they can throw up reality which is much cheaper...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll give them some credit for not being retarded, may not smart but not retarded. Sure reality TV might do nightly ratings to keep companies paying for ad time, but what about all the money being lost on talk shows? all the money being lost on potential DVD sales/syndication this season would yield? and the fact that reality tv may be nice, but networks need their huge scripted series to anchor their line up.

I wouldn't doubt that they aren't losing much sleep over this, but this is hurting them and they know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

But not hurting them as much as caving and giving a good deal to the writers...which in turn will cause the DGA to ask for a even better deal and SAG to do likewise.

Also all the studio heads knew before the strike exactly how much they would lose due to the strike yet didn't soften in their negotiations

React1oN 11-10-2007 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I can't believe they don't get paid for DVDs.

[/ QUOTE ]
They do. They want more, in addition to other things.

[/ QUOTE ]Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Sickboy 11-10-2007 07:52 PM

they get 4 cents per DVD sold. They want 8 cents

AlexM 11-10-2007 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TVWeek: The WGA said they dropped their demands for DVD residuals. How big of a concession was that?
Mr. Counter: None at all, because we would never have agreed to it—$56 million earned last year just for writers alone. And that’s not counting their profit participation.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know anything about this issue but he seems to be saying that is a lot of money. $56 million a year sounds like an absolutely minuscule slice of the pie in this industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he's trying to make his greed sound good. It's obviously insane.

KungFuManchu 11-10-2007 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After 8 weeks they can start cutting deals with producers/writers/directors/ just about anyone they don't want anymore. (only exception is those who have strike clauses in their deals-JJ Abrams etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you go over what exactly entails a strike clause?

Jack of Arcades 11-10-2007 08:46 PM

Any info on other tv shows?

JMa 11-10-2007 08:51 PM

just go to wikipeidia