Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Cards call up Ankiel (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=473378)

stormstarter28 08-09-2007 03:25 PM

Re: Cards call up Ankiel

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Big time sluggers with poor OBP skills and high strikeout numbers tend to translate very poorly in the majors.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet Ryan Howard is what, 27, and in his second full year?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, Howard's OBP was .425 last year. So, my advice is to learn how to read.

Hoya 08-09-2007 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Big time sluggers with poor OBP skills and high strikeout numbers tend to translate very poorly in the majors.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet Ryan Howard is what, 27, and in his second full year?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, Howard's OBP was .425 last year. So, my advice is to learn how to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

And in his last stint in AAA, it was .467.

The Farside 08-09-2007 03:45 PM

I highly doubt he'll ever be an above-average MLB player or even a serviceable every day player, but I think there is a good chance he can catch on as a bench guy/PH/DH somewhere. There are a lot of worse players in the MLB at the end of benches. I'd love to see him at least play in the majors for a few years and earn enough to retire off his baseball career.

SL__72 08-09-2007 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of which, the Twins really need to claim Willy Mo off of waivers. I don't think his .300obp would bring down the Twins' DH obp for the season and he sure could bring up the OPS.

slothinator 08-09-2007 04:07 PM

Maybe the Cardinals will try a Brooks Keishnek type experiment with Ankiel. Or is Ankiel completely finished as a pitcher? Didn't he hurt his arm?

For those who don't remember, Keishnek was a busted Cubs OF prospect who pitched in college. The Brewers made him into a 5th OF-PH-RP combo utility player. He was a poor hitter and a poor pitcher; the experiment didn't go well.

The Farside 08-09-2007 04:09 PM

Making himm a pitcher again could possibly be the worst thing they could do to the poor guy.

metsandfinsfan 08-09-2007 04:16 PM

i wish him luck

irunnotgood 08-09-2007 04:33 PM

He stated last year that he would never pitch again.

Kneel B4 Zod 08-09-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't he hurt his arm?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he had "failed Tommy John surgery"

MuresanForMVP 08-09-2007 05:41 PM

Regardless, what he's done has been amazing and I'm rooting for him to play well obv.