Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Why is America so obsessed with being "buff"? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=203321)

sushijerk 09-03-2006 07:10 PM

Re: Why is America so obsessed with being \"buff\"?

This is not a general college thing though. I've been to college environments in countries like China, Japan, England, Spain, etc... and there is a significant difference thier physqiue versus the American one.

Also, thier men's health magazines are nowhere as saturated with muscle-bound guys as America's tends to be. That is why I think it is an image issue particular to young Americans.

guids 09-03-2006 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not a general college thing though. I've been to college environments in countries like China, Japan, England, Spain, etc... and there is a significant difference thier physqiue versus the American one.

Also, thier men's health magazines are nowhere as saturated with muscle-bound guys as America's tends to be. That is why I think it is an image issue particular to young Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do the chinese practice communism, why do the do the British speak with a funny accent, why does Spain roll ovver to terrorists, why do the Japanese have panties in their vending machines? Its becuase we all come from different cultures.

theben 09-03-2006 07:16 PM

are you joking? i'm pretty sure that in college, most all dudes aren't lifting because 'its fun'. its really just a pain in the ass. nobody finds that stuff fun

i promise you almost every single guy in college who decides to get buff (other than althetes) is doing it to try to pick up chicks and fit in with a group of other meatheads

guids 09-03-2006 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you joking? i'm pretty sure that in college, most all dudes aren't lifting because 'its fun'. its really just a pain in the ass. nobody finds that stuff fun

i promise you almost every single guy in college who decides to get buff (other than althetes) is doing it to try to pick up chicks and fit in with a group of other meatheads

[/ QUOTE ]

theben, even though your mommy may have told you different, the world does not revolve around you, what you may find tiresome others may find a lot of enjoyment.

absoludicrous 09-03-2006 07:20 PM

Cocky meatheaded weightlifters = inferiority complex

But not all of them are like this...

Spellmen 09-03-2006 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, this post was made with current college-aged guys in mind. I will most definitely agree that if anything, the general, older, population should start hitting the gym more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made that assumption about your original post. I also agree that with older people, excersize/diet needs to be much more frequent. I feel that the whole college gym bug/meathead syndrome is incredibly widespread

[/ QUOTE ]

Who do you think these older people going to the gym are? Lazy slobs who sat around through their mid twenties and thirties, or people who worked out most of their lives and developed healthy good habits?

ed8383 09-03-2006 07:25 PM

The reason most young guys in America are marching to gyms like robots is because IT HAS BECOME FEMININE TO BE SKINNY (for a man)! In our culture women are supposed to be skinny, guys are supposed to be buff. That is how we have been conditioned to see things.

Is it somehow morally wrong? I don't think it is! (and this ain't no meathead speaking im a skinny guy that never works out). I rather see a society where men are conditioned to strive for looking buff and women to look slim, rather than men being fat and women being buff or any other combination. Men strive for the masculinity that is looking big and strong while women strive for the feminine look of being thin, being the opposite look of the man.

robber baron 09-03-2006 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right, well, thats college douche bag stuff, maybe 99% of the small circle of peopel that you know act like this, but in no way is that representative of the general population. I never had the normal college experience, I had my own apartment, I went to class for 3 hours a day, didnt talk to no one, then I went home. You need to figure out that the real world, and college are way diff, before you spout your "observations".

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense guids, but you're describing the life of a hermit. How does that qualify you to be in tune w/ the pulse of America?

guids 09-03-2006 07:27 PM

The only thing Id say about this, is I dont think its culture, but rather evolution, I personally think women are ingrained to find a strong, "buff" type attractive becuase the skinny weak males got eaten by large animals.

absoludicrous 09-03-2006 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get way more of a rush deadlifting a quarter of a ton than when I did playing hockey, baseball, or soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not calling you a liar, but this is strange.