Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Book Announcements (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=485611)

phydaux 08-28-2007 02:58 PM

Re: Book Announcements

[ QUOTE ]
Can't wait for Harrington on Cash!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT!

Clarkmeister 08-28-2007 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does that mean he did not contribute to the concepts in this book?

[/ QUOTE ]

There were only a few concepts that came from Miller. They concern only smaller games. David tells me that he took Miller's word for it that they are accurate. Miller's main contribution was his writing skill where he would take David's ideas and explain them well.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does the bolded part reconcile with the following:

[ QUOTE ]
We do however go over and review what's written in a very thorough manner, as we do with all books we publish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason Malmuth 08-29-2007 12:06 AM

I know there is some stuff in that book which is specific to some of the small no-limit games around town. I believe that's what David is referring to.

When we go over a book, we make sure that it flows in a consistent logical fashion and doesn't seemingly contradict itself without adequate explanations, and that the advice makes sense given the premisies it is based on, and so on. That's different from knowing whether certain basic facts describing game conditions are accurate.

MM

El Diablo 08-29-2007 04:00 PM

Mason,

"Miller's main contribution was his writing skill where he would take David's ideas and explain them well."

Based on my discussions with Ed during the writing of the book, I think that significantly underrepresents his level of contribution to the book. I'm specifically referring to making some changes to examples/concepts in the book that had validity of a theoretical nature but really weren't accurate in terms of actually playing in real games.

Humble Pie 08-29-2007 04:38 PM

Mason,

Please reconcile with Ed Miller. Or air your issues w/ him and his wife in NVG.

Gonso 08-30-2007 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe some of [the covers] have already been chosen for the last contest.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 covers were reserved by Mason during the last contest, but as I understood it they could just as well go unused.

andyfox 08-31-2007 01:52 PM

I don't think that what Mason said underrepresents Ed's contribution. It might misrepresent it, but it doesn't do any good to have an idea if it you can't explain it well. So even if that was all Ed contributed--and I too, based on discussion with Ed and others, don't think that's accurate--it is a major contribution. I have the highest respect for David, but he is a poor writer.

*TT* 08-31-2007 02:34 PM

In my opinion I think this thread turned on its side unintentionally. I just looked at the book cover at the foreign publisher's website, its hard to tell from the image here but Ed is given equal billing as a writer on the cover. Sklansky is marketable, David's association helps to sell books so it makes sense to promote his ideas (I know Ed would agree that this book was David's ideas communicated by Ed for the most part) by including a large photo of him. I think thats fair, their contributions are represented equally in my eyes once it gets down to the credits which is what really counts.

fraac 08-31-2007 03:34 PM

Does anything really count?

bec1972 08-31-2007 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anything really count?

[/ QUOTE ]

Book sales do. So if I am Ed Miller, which I'm not, but wish I was, monetarily wise, and putting Sklansky's mug on the cover increases sales in Germany . . . . PUT DAVID'S MUG ON THE COVER!!!!! Besides I can't help but see a choir boy version of Jamie Gold in Ed Miller's stock photo, am I the only one that sees this resemblance?