Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Anyone else socially retarted? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=375250)

arod18 04-11-2007 08:40 PM

Re: Anyone else socially retarted?

Solution: Move on campus and 'mack' on all the younger chicks. (+EV)

ed8383 04-11-2007 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering if anyone else out there was finding college life to be not what you expected.
I'm in my fourth year doing computer science and in that time I have only really made 2 freinds in class. I've never lived on campus and find that on weekends I usually just end up hanging out with my old freinds from highschool.
We are starting to grow apart and I want to make some new freinds, I just dont know how. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe it is not you but them??? I thought i was socially retarded and found myself in your exact same situation. I looked at the myspace for my college and found out a bunch of posts on how this is a horrible place to make friends and how unfriendly everyone is. I read what I always thought about but never had confirmed through anyone else! finally im not the social tard but the environment itself is not open to friendships! It seems to me that it is like this in every college from what ive been reading!

why?? because college is a place for cliques/groups. You see the asians with asians, blacks with blacks, hippis with hippis and the most common group of them all is the "friends from high school groups." It is just difficult to be accepted by these groups since most know each other from some time.

You will meet new people in college, talk to new people, but just don't expect making lots of 'friends' (people you hang out with outside school, people that care and you can depend on). Those people already have responsibilities/loyalty to their old friends and are not going to leave them just for you (some guy they barely met in college).

the only easy way to make friends in college is by
a) meeting people through your high school friends
b) frats

My high school friends are gone and I go to undergrad school, no frats. So I really have no chance. I have never had anyone even say hi to me that wasn't a person I knew from high school. Maybe it is because this place really is full of stuck up people.

arod18 04-11-2007 11:54 PM

wow it seems ya'lls view on college social life is skewed. during my current freshmen year of college, I've met many people who I would now consider some of my closest friends. Sometimes you have to step outside of your comfort zone to make new friends.

Edge34 04-12-2007 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow it seems ya'lls view on college social life is skewed. during my current freshmen year of college, I've met many people who I would now consider some of my closest friends. Sometimes you have to step outside of your comfort zone to make new friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT.

onlinebeginner 04-12-2007 02:46 AM

i have lots of friends and enjoy my social life very much at school

i have never made one friend in class tho (by friend i mean someone who i would feel comfortable calling to hang out with)

unless you are an incredibally social guy (you obviously aren't) you really need to live on campus or live with other kids that go to your school to make friends

catalyst 04-12-2007 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering if anyone else out there was finding college life to be not what you expected.
I'm in my fourth year doing computer science and in that time I have only really made 2 freinds in class. I've never lived on campus and find that on weekends I usually just end up hanging out with my old freinds from highschool.
We are starting to grow apart and I want to make some new freinds, I just dont know how. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe it is not you but them??? I thought i was socially retarded and found myself in your exact same situation. I looked at the myspace for my college and found out a bunch of posts on how this is a horrible place to make friends and how unfriendly everyone is. I read what I always thought about but never had confirmed through anyone else! finally im not the social tard but the environment itself is not open to friendships! It seems to me that it is like this in every college from what ive been reading!

why?? because college is a place for cliques/groups. You see the asians with asians, blacks with blacks, hippis with hippis and the most common group of them all is the "friends from high school groups." It is just difficult to be accepted by these groups since most know each other from some time.

You will meet new people in college, talk to new people, but just don't expect making lots of 'friends' (people you hang out with outside school, people that care and you can depend on). Those people already have responsibilities/loyalty to their old friends and are not going to leave them just for you (some guy they barely met in college).

the only easy way to make friends in college is by
a) meeting people through your high school friends
b) frats

My high school friends are gone and I go to undergrad school, no frats. So I really have no chance. I have never had anyone even say hi to me that wasn't a person I knew from high school. Maybe it is because this place really is full of stuck up people.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds very wrong... maybe it is you, not them.

DonkBluffer 04-12-2007 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i have never made one friend in class tho (by friend i mean someone who i would feel comfortable calling to hang out with)

unless you are an incredibally social guy (you obviously aren't) you really need to live on campus or live with other kids that go to your school to make friends

[/ QUOTE ]
We don't even have campuses here in the netherlands [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] i think i'm going to have to join sports/clubs and stuff myself.

Suigin406 04-12-2007 10:45 AM

wow, arod hit in on the head perfectly, some people are social enough to make friends easily, but yea, definitely needing to step out of ur comfort zone is critical...OP, u prolly haven't made much of an effort to do so, but yea, gotta take some chances...

T50_Omaha8 04-12-2007 01:01 PM

Jeez, be sure not to make any mean friends like Thremp.

[ QUOTE ]
I read what I always thought about but never had confirmed through anyone else! finally im not the social tard but the environment itself is not open to friendships! It seems to me that it is like this in every college from what ive been reading!

[/ QUOTE ] I agree 100%. Colleges everywhere are full of insensitive jerks who are socially retarded and we're the only ones who are normal, unless of course you've made a lot of friends in which case you're socially retarded too.

Also the exclaimation marks really drive your point home!

onlinebeginner 04-12-2007 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
We don't even have campuses here in the netherlands [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] i think i'm going to have to join sports/clubs and stuff myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

well if NOBODY is living on campus then it will be easier to make friends in non dorm friends