Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Thoughts on NFL in London/cross country sporting pollination (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=532207)

grando 10-28-2007 05:00 AM

Re: Thoughts on NFL in London/cross country sporting pollination

[ QUOTE ]

Soccer is a simple game that doesn't really take much thought to watch and process what's going on or even to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding!

how many people watch soccer sober? 4?

ledders07 10-28-2007 07:11 AM

at least soccer doesn't have advert breaks every 5 minutes

lippy 10-28-2007 07:15 AM

Eurotrash,

Beautiful.

ZeTurd 10-28-2007 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
at least soccer doesn't have advert breaks every 5 minutes

[/ QUOTE ]
That's why you watch one game on TV and stream a backup game on the net for the breaks. When both games are on break at the same time, it's usually time to get a new beer. Ideal solution.

Re soccer: I actually agree that it can be a boring game. If you're watching two teams you have little interest in, and both teams suck at attacking it can be pretty sleep-inducing. That is true for most other comparable sports too, though. Don't really get the obsession with having a ton of scores either. A 1-0 game can be well-played, exciting and nerve-wrecking under the right circumstances, but I guess some people crave instant gratification and lack the attention span to appreciate soccer. Their loss...

Maulik 10-28-2007 12:26 PM

I'm here on holiday and if it weren't for the [censored] Dolphins I'd love to see how receptive the Brits are to real football with violence.

Teh1337zor 10-28-2007 12:29 PM

If the NFL was trying to make themselves look good why the [censored] would they send the Dolphins and the Giants over

Maulik 10-28-2007 12:33 PM

The value of two good teams not playing SNF or MNF outweighs who they send here.

BingoBango 10-28-2007 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All I know is that every time I talk to foreigners from a non-football country they always talk about how they can't understand the rules. I just don't get it

[/ QUOTE ]

Too many penalties and rules + slowest game ever + hard to understand (if you don't watch it on a regular basis) = boring for most non nfl fans.

Anyone who thinks football is better or more popular than soccer is just being an arrogant American. I'm surprised we don't call the Super Bowl something like the World Championship. Like baseball, World Series my ass

That said, I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] football

Franchise 60 10-28-2007 12:44 PM

I don't think using NFL Europe as an argument for the NFL in Europe failing is fair. Its the same game, but not the same product.

I personally think this is all a good idea, I have no idea if it will work but I think that it can build up steam and be successful to some degree in foreign markets.

I don't think the NFL is risking to much, so why not give it a shot?

Franchise 60 10-28-2007 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the NFL was trying to make themselves look good why the [censored] would they send the Dolphins and the Giants over

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the Giants are one of the marquee franchises in the league and the biggest media market in the country, so I don't see any problem in sending them over. But I guess your Redskins allegiance clouds your judgement [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The dolphins are a whole other story though...