Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   What's your opinion on Michael Moore? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=419851)

Your Mom 06-04-2007 10:35 PM

Re: What\'s your opinion on Michael Moore?

[ QUOTE ]
sirio,

I'm a fan. I think some people hate him because they feel like he's pretending to be an impartial journalist. But he's not. He's a documentary filmmaker with a very strong point of view. Obviously he spins his work in a manner that supports the points he is trying to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, he lies. Yep, I see why you like him.

miajag 06-04-2007 10:36 PM

I agree with the guy on a lot of stuff about Iraq and the current administration, but he does a pretty awful job of getting his message across. I want to say he's the Coulter or Hannity of the left, but I don't think he's as purely evil a person as those two, more just an overzealous doofus. I remember seeing him on Letterman around the time Fahrenheit 9/11 came out and Letterman (who, btw, is one of the toughest and best interviewers in the business) absolutely destroyed him. He was unable to give a straight answer to any question - it was cringe-inducing to watch. Also, I disagree with him on a lot of other stuff such as his views on gun control and big corporations. So, yeah, not a fan.

MicroBob 06-04-2007 10:48 PM

Mostly with Dids.

I can't stand him and think he does more harm to the 'cause' than good. I pretty much think he needs to shut the hell up.

Heard a couple of conservative commentators say that Fahrenheit 911 was one of those movies that all liberals who agreed with the POV were obviously going to like.

Well, I mostly agree with the POV, and I was never in favor of this war, but I was really disappointed in how really really bad Fahrenheit 911 was.

pokerbobo 06-04-2007 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a lefty, I wish he'd shut the hell up. He's not helping.

1- I think his point of view is often pretty simple minded. Too much of what he says/does is for shock value, and it kills any meaninful point he's trying to make. Trying to paint something like Columbine as gun control issue (hint: mental health) is just being exploitive and stupid.

2- I think his econimic point of view is horrible. Roger and Me drove me nuts. Private companies shouldn't have an obligation to keep people employeed. It's government's job to sustain them once a company, in holding to the obligation it has towards it's owners/shareholds has to lay them off to save/make more money. Moore's approash is just goofy and simplistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't sound like a lefty....middle of the road dem maybe, but lefty?

guids 06-04-2007 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1- I think his point of view is often pretty simple minded. Too much of what he says/does is for shock value, and it kills any meaninful point he's trying to make. Trying to paint something like Columbine as gun control issue (hint: mental health) is just being exploitive and stupid.

2- I think his econimic point of view is horrible. Roger and Me drove me nuts. Private companies shouldn't have an obligation to keep people employeed. It's government's job to sustain them once a company, in holding to the obligation it has towards it's owners/shareholds has to lay them off to save/make more money. Moore's approash is just goofy and simplistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Private companies shouldn't have an obligation to keep people employeed. It's government's job to sustain them once a company, in holding to the obligation it has towards it's owners/shareholds has to lay them off to save/make more money.

Thats pretty commie.

MrMon 06-04-2007 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So did Leni Riefenstahl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, now. Sure, Michael Moore might be a propagandist, but the point of view he's espousing isn't fascism and genocide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither did Riefenstahl. In fact, what she did was glorify Hitler and the Nazis, presenting them in a positive light. All Moore does is demonize his enemies. In that respect, Moore is a hack, it's easy to demonize, glorification, that takes an artist.

guids 06-04-2007 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So did Leni Riefenstahl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, now. Sure, Michael Moore might be a propagandist, but the point of view he's espousing isn't fascism and genocide.

Personally, I think he's a loudmouth and a hypocrite (there's a fair amount of information out there about how he's treated his employees / people on his shoots). Politically I happen to agree with a lot of what he says and I'm glad that somebody's saying it, but he could do a much better job. His attack on an obviously senile Charlton Heston made me squirm.

[/ QUOTE ]

First thing hitler did when in power was outlaw guns.

Dids 06-05-2007 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more fiscally conservative that a lot of lefties, but probably more socially liberal. Fiscally I think the fringe of the left wing is just out to lunch and painfully unpragmatic. Also the point that I didn't expand upon is that I'm into massive government regulation and taxation of big business.

I also think people like Moore and Hannity do a lot to make this country a [censored] place, because they tend to just make reasonable dialog impossible with all the bluster, [censored], and dishonesty.

idrinkcoors 06-05-2007 12:36 AM

I'm probably the most far right wing nut job on this forum, so you know what I think.

Having said that, I wish, we conservatives had our version of "Michael Moore." Hopefully we can find someone who is not oppossed to creative editing and who is in favor of trying to destroy people and employers.

Lastly, I'm not going to be one of those people who judge "Sicko" without seeing it, (I won't see it), but I don't understand the idea of going to Cuba, and holding up their communist health care system as an idea to emmulate. How many world leaders travel to Cuba for treatment? You know how all of those Cubans risk their lives on flimsy rafts trying to get to America? Perhaps Moore will go down to South Florida and tell those boat refugees that they are wrong, and convince them to turn around and paddle back to Cuba's "wonderful" system.

But like I said, I wish we had our own "Michael Moore" that the media would fall all over for. That would be great.

Tron 06-05-2007 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably the most far right wing nut job on this forum, so you know what I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

So... Colorado Springs, huh?