Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Post deleted by Mat Sklansky (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222300)

farang0 09-28-2006 09:36 AM

Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

A balla mansion would be sweet. You could go the luxury route or even just get a big cheaper place and make it like a poker frat house hahaa.

There are some great places for rent all over.

farang0 09-28-2006 09:38 AM

Also, I only read the first few pages of this thread but I saw some questions regarding the costs of living in Thailand.

Degen mentioned that for 2-3k you can live nicely in Thialand, but this is really high end. You can actually live nicely for around $500 a month depending on how much you party. My general expenses are about $400 a month (rent, untilites, food) and then from there you just factor in beer money etc

Ribsauce 09-28-2006 09:43 AM

farang is right. I know some people here in Chiang Mai who are living nice off about US450 a month. If I come back to live and play poker I'll be planning on living off a grand a month or so.

If I come back it will be after tax season. As of right now I really want to do it. Hopefully the current visa situation changes

southerndog 09-28-2006 09:52 AM

IMO, a 2+2 pad would be a bad idea.

Being well off in thailand is a big deal. Your neighbors will want to know about you, etc.. Drawing a lot of attention while playing internet poker doesn't seem like a great idea.

WhoIam 09-28-2006 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"suits" can be had for a couple hundred up to $1,000 for high end tailors in Hong Kong. But there are various quality levels in materials, tailors, etc. my buddy just got back from Hong Kong and got custom made shirts for $90ish each. This sounds expensive, but they were made by some of the best tailors in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
$90 for custom shirts is a bargain. I have a small obsession with custom suits due to reading a multi-page ad in GQ the last time I was at the doctor's office. You choose the material and every detail of the cut, then they take something like 40 measurements and assemble the suit. Then several weeks later, you try it on and the make more alterations. You try it on again and they make a final round of alterations before you actually get it. It looks better, fits better, and offers a better range of motion than even, say, a tailored Armani suit or anything comparable.

aitchie 09-28-2006 09:53 AM

Is it true that drinking the thai red bull-type energy drink is similar to taking speed?

I got truly messed up drinking a bucket of whiskey (only a 1/4 bottle) & red bull and still not sure why [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

southerndog 09-28-2006 09:56 AM

OK, there's a difference between "Balla" and living nicely.

I agree that one could live very comfortably off $1k/month. I'm not really sure what baller would be though. One thing to realize is that buying a car is VERY expensive over here. Almost all cars are 20k+ and driving a 4 cylinder honda isn't baller. A Benz will cost you +$100K, and if you're only living for a year, it will be a bad idea.

there are houses for rent in my neighborhood for $500 that are VERY nice. They are probably 4k sq foot or so.

Kneel B4 Zod 09-28-2006 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"suits" can be had for a couple hundred up to $1,000 for high end tailors in Hong Kong. But there are various quality levels in materials, tailors, etc. my buddy just got back from Hong Kong and got custom made shirts for $90ish each. This sounds expensive, but they were made by some of the best tailors in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
$90 for custom shirts is a bargain. I have a small obsession with custom suits due to reading a multi-page ad in GQ the last time I was at the doctor's office. You choose the material and every detail of the cut, then they take something like 40 measurements and assemble the suit. Then several weeks later, you try it on and the make more alterations. You try it on again and they make a final round of alterations before you actually get it. It looks better, fits better, and offers a better range of motion than even, say, a tailored Armani suit or anything comparable.

[/ QUOTE ]

just keep in mind that tailors are like 7-11's in Hong Kong. there are various quality levels and levels of competence, and corresponding price differences, between them. ie not all $90 custom made shirts are equal to one another.

farang0 09-28-2006 09:59 AM

Not really.

Farang have cash anyways and thais just understand that white people will come and live in their country, spend tons of cash, and not do any work. A bunch of farang living together and having a good time will not look out of the ordinary. As long as your not being an ass and flashing cash around you will be fine.

Also, my favorite thing about living in Thailand: 80 THOUSAND DOLLAR TAX BREAK EACH YEAR - SHIP IT
(Must live outside of usa for 11 months a year to qualify)

southerndog 09-28-2006 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really.

Farang have cash anyways and thais just understand that white people will come and live in their country, spend tons of cash, and not do any work. A bunch of farang living together and having a good time will not look out of the ordinary. As long as your not being an ass and flashing cash around you will be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point

[ QUOTE ]

Also, my favorite thing about living in Thailand: 80 THOUSAND DOLLAR TAX BREAK EACH YEAR - SHIP IT
(Must live outside of usa for 11 months a year to qualify)

[/ QUOTE ]

REALLY?? I thought that was a one time thing. Is it true for every year?