Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   NHL Down The stretch (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=347277)

stealthcow 04-06-2007 05:29 PM

Re: NHL Down The stretch

[ QUOTE ]

I think Brodeur's had a bit of a strange career. On the surface it looks like he's been great all along (and he has been), but I think he had his best years from 94-97 and from 2005-now. He's been a top 5 goalie in the game the whole time, but he's been perhaps his best ever this year - the Devils defense is not what it used to be.

I think it's close between Hasek and Brodeur - it's a shame those Buffalo teams weren't better, it's tough to compare. At that time, I probably would've taken Hasek, but I don't know how good Hasek would have been with a stifling defense at that point - plus Brodeur's stickhandling helps more than people consider.

A game 7, I take Roy at his best without a doubt. Then Brodeur, then Hasek. Hasek I feel has more off-games than the other two - could just be personal prejudice.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, i disagree about the Roy> Brodeur > Hasek. But one of the last games i saw Roy play was a game 7 vs Detroit where he let in like 5 goals in the 1st period. And remembering Hasek leading the Czech Republic to the Olympic Gold.

As for off the ice antics, I think Hasek wins by a mile though

MacGuyV 04-06-2007 05:43 PM

Yeah Roy has had more than a couple bad games in big spots (of course he played in a ton of big games so you have to adjust for that).
Hasek I don't remember having too many bad games but not sure how many series' he stole either - the Sabres beat Ottowa/Boston/Toronto pretty cleanly when they went to the finals in '99. I'm sure there were a couple 1st round series' where he made the difference on forgettable teams.

MyTurn2Raise 04-06-2007 05:45 PM

LET'S GO BLUES!

just want to say I'm real happy with how Andy Murray is getting the direction of the franchise switched around. Hopefully, it will be back to annual playoff appearances starting next year.

oh yeah, Blackhawks
ROFLMAO

Triumph36 04-06-2007 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think Brodeur's had a bit of a strange career. On the surface it looks like he's been great all along (and he has been), but I think he had his best years from 94-97 and from 2005-now. He's been a top 5 goalie in the game the whole time, but he's been perhaps his best ever this year - the Devils defense is not what it used to be.

I think it's close between Hasek and Brodeur - it's a shame those Buffalo teams weren't better, it's tough to compare. At that time, I probably would've taken Hasek, but I don't know how good Hasek would have been with a stifling defense at that point - plus Brodeur's stickhandling helps more than people consider.

A game 7, I take Roy at his best without a doubt. Then Brodeur, then Hasek. Hasek I feel has more off-games than the other two - could just be personal prejudice.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, i disagree about the Roy> Brodeur > Hasek. But one of the last games i saw Roy play was a game 7 vs Detroit where he let in like 5 goals in the 1st period. And remembering Hasek leading the Czech Republic to the Olympic Gold.

As for off the ice antics, I think Hasek wins by a mile though

[/ QUOTE ]

that was not Roy at his best. And while Hasek did his best work in international competitions, it can't be said that he was the Dominator when he won his Cup in 02.

Go back to 93 - then you'll remember Roy at his best. That Habs team was not very strong - Roy willed them to a Stanley Cup. His Smythe in 01 was a joke - by then he was already declining, and his gaffe put the Devils back in a series they had no business being in - but for a Game 7, or overtime - I am picking Patrick Roy over Hasek and Brodeur every time.

also Brodeur's record in playoff OT is terrible - I'm too lazy to look it up, but it's under 40% for sure.

B00T 04-06-2007 09:36 PM

I dont think Lundqvist should win it at all. I was just surprised that even here in NY nobody has said a peep about Lundqvist and Vezina in the same sentence.

Triumph36 04-06-2007 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think Lundqvist should win it at all. I was just surprised that even here in NY nobody has said a peep about Lundqvist and Vezina in the same sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone said anything about Hasek and Vezina either? When you have goalies putting up legendary seasons - it's not worth talking about the other guys. Even Larry Brooks isn't dumb enough to make that kind of comment.

mmbt0ne 04-06-2007 10:35 PM

http://students.kennesaw.edu/~kjj9965/Thrashers.jpg

We some A-T-L Thrashers
Scope your pumpkin and smasha
We'll come through your hood worse than a tsunami disaster

bluef0x 04-06-2007 11:19 PM

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! STARS score in the final 10 seconds to send the game to OT and win it in the shootout!

Sucks that the Ducks can't advance in the playoffs off of loser points. Poor ducks.