Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Veganmav eats his food out of the trash: discuss (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=173068)

Gildwulf 07-29-2006 02:11 AM

Re: Veganmav eats his food out of the trash: discuss

also, I just made this thread cause I thought it was interesting and would make for some great BBV material...plus I really wanted to make the groucho connection.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]veganmav

T-God 07-29-2006 02:17 AM

gilf's a loving drunk.

raze 07-29-2006 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Buying non-vegan veggie burgers may be against a vegans morals, but eating them out of the trash may not be.

Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I DO !!!

veganmav 07-29-2006 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Casette,

Here's a question I've got. You mentioned you started a Food not Bombs chapter. I'm cool with that, I think they (mostly) do good work; I've got friends who worked with them a lot in Buffalo. So here's my question. A lot of activists operate on the creed of unselfishness. Maybe you were poor at the time, not sure. But you started the chapter AFTER you realized you had tons of extra food. Why not even before that, if you could afford to feed yourself? (note: I'm not saying it's wrong that you didn't, just curious as to why).

VM,

similar question. You're making buttloads. Still, I've got no problem with you saving money and feeding yourself for free. You may have already mentioned this, but do you take any of the extra food to food banks and food rescue programs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the food I get, I eat. If there is any left over, I give it to a lot of my Mexican friends who live in a Mexican community hear in Columbus Ohio. I will also drop it off at friends houses who also dumpster dive, and occasionaly they will drop some off at my house.

veganmav 07-29-2006 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why wont you eat meat from trash?

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally don't because I don't think I can stomach it.
As it is I am not even eating canned tuna, just cus I can't stand to (because I haven't eaten meat in so long, not because it is out of the dumpster).

So in short, I am not eating meat out of the dumpster because of the negative association I have with meat.

I have some friends who eat meat out of the trash, and have never gotten sick.

Money2Burn 07-29-2006 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I respect a person who can stand up in what they believe in, but damn your belief sure do suck if your rummaging through a dumpster to get food.

I just don't think I'll ever understand vegans

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you respect white supremesists?

veganmav 07-29-2006 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
vegan,

I think you are young and hvae a lot of ideas that perhaps will evolve in time into ones that might be a little more effective and practical. Simply put, I think your execution of ideas towards achieving your goals can be better, but while I think some of your ideas are weird and some of them are maybe not the most effective, at the most basic level I agree with much of what you say here:

"When I win 10k playing poker, I am sad that I live in such a world where lots of us make so much money playing poker, and waste it on other things like fancy cars, or neclaces, or watches, when our brothers and sisters don't have enough food to eat, just to stay alive.

I don't think that I could buy any of the stuff in this thread where people brag about their luxuries. I think that I couldn't live with myself if I bought some of those thngs. Yes it is nice to have stuff, and we shouldn't short ourselves. I still have a car, a place to stay, I play soccer, and I bought soccer shoes, I sometimes buy some small luxuries like vegan ice cream, or a good book, but as long as others are still dying because they dont even have enough food to eat, I think that we should limit our luxuries.

It's just, let's please not waste so much, let's please not spend so much, let's try to limit our luxuries, and if you aren't willing to do these things, can you at least not make fun of someone who is trying their best to do these things?
thanks."

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks I appreciate it.

In all honesty, I am just trying to do what is right. i know it sounds trite, but I strive with all my actions to do what is right... even though I know I don't always do it. I don't expect everyone to hop in to dumpsters too, but I do hope that people will rethink buying too many luxury items with all their newfound poker wealth.

Money2Burn 07-29-2006 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is [censored] crazy.

Pizza places were a good example of your "goldmines," what are some other ones, if you don't mind potentially giving up your secrets to other not-homeless dumpster-diving internet users?

[/ QUOTE ]

to be honest. i do mind.

a lot of the gold mines are veyr well kept secerts, and have been available for years.

pizza plaaces are so ubiquitous that i can give it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a load of [censored]. If you were really worried about the amount of waste in society, you would be shouting your sources from the rooftops rather than keeping them "well kept secrets". Utilitarian? I'm sure your intentions are good, but your execution is a miserable failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with telling too many people about the "goldmines" are many. It has happened before.

This one place called FORC (FEDERATION OF OHIO RIVER COOPERATIVES (FORC) 320 Outerbelt St, Suite E
Columbus, OH 43213
614-861-2446)

Used to be a great place for somwhere around 10 years.

It became way too popular with people who weren't familiar with dumpster diving.

There are several no-no's in dumpster diving, like leaving a mess, vandalizing, dumping your own garbage in theirs, because if you do these things, the owners of the dumpster will get mad and try to stop you from dumpster diving.

But if you leave no mess, no trail, and even help clean up a little bit, and you are always quick and clean, they never notice, or if they do, they don't mind so much.

So anyway, FORC got way too popular and they hired a security guard to watch their dumpster! People still tried to dive, so they instead keep their dumspter inside the building (is the rumor[becuase there is no dumpster visible now]) and nobody gets to eat their refuse.

So we don't tell the goldmines to people who don't dumpsterdive.
But I do tell fellow dumpster divers, because I know they will respect the dumpster, and the area, so that it can be a source of food for everyone for years to come.

My goldmines have been coming through for years.
I wish it didn't exist, I wish the stores didnt throw away a can if it was dented, or a bottle if the label fell off. But as long as it does exist I want to preserve it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yall are basicly the fish that clean the undersides of whales, sharks, and the sides of fishtanks.

veganmav 07-29-2006 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Veganmav,

1. What do you think would happen to our country if everyone just started thinking that "housing was a right they were entitled to" and looking through trash for food? If everyone stopped paying at Pizza Hut and instead looked through the trash, would Pizza Hut still be there in a year?

2. You said that you only eat the bread from Pizza Hut. Why don't you eat the meat/dairy pizza as well? I can see the logic behind not buying meat at stores because it funds what vegetarians think is animal slaughter, but how does refusing to eat those pepperoni slices help anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

For one, I don't care if pizza hut isn't there in a year, and would probably prefer if it were gone. If everyone started looking in trash, there would be a lot less waste, and then it would become necesary to find another means of getting food. Which is fine.

I do eat dairy, but I don't eat meat. Basically because of what you said. Not eating the dairy, has almost no point. So I do eat it from the trash. Meat I won't eat from the trash because at this point I have such a negative association with meat, that I am not ready to eat it.

veganmav 07-29-2006 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got two suggesstions.

1. Buy a farm and grow your own food instead of taking it from the trash. Your footprint will be larger but you can always cancel that out by buying a new car for someone with an old polluter or buying a solar power system for someone. It will cost more, but you won't be eatin out of the trash. edit: I guess you're not thinking about just pollution and energy, but I'm sure you can think of something to cancel out whatever bothers you.

2. Open a fancy restaurant where all the food comes from trash.

Of course maybe you're just joking about all of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already have a decent garden and plan to improve it.

In the future I plan to have a farm.