Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   fans of The Wire: which character is your favorite? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=467269)

lastchance 11-04-2007 04:40 AM

Re: fans of The Wire: which character is your favorite?

Here's what I love about the show: I like the scenes. There are some pieces of dialogue in the wire that are just plain ridiculous (S4's cold open, for example or when Omar Little goes out to get some Honey Nut Cheerios, or when D talks about those little chess pieces). The Wire does "filler" better than any show on I have ever watched, to the point where, y'know, it's not really filler.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-04-2007 05:54 AM

The wire is not a tv show. It's life. It's how it is. And I defy anyone to define where life stops and the show starts.... Or vice versa.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-04-2007 06:52 AM

Jeez how much of Season 2 is going to be made up of these white docks men?

surfinillini 11-04-2007 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jeez how much of Season 2 is going to be made up of these white docks men?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the whole season. I thought season 2 was great though.

FlyWf 11-04-2007 12:08 PM

Season 2 starts EXTREMELY slow, but it gets going, and it's not just about the stevedores.

ClassicBob 11-04-2007 12:14 PM

I hate it when people bitch about season 2. It may not be the best season of the Wire, but it's still a better season than almost any other TV show. Also, it could be argued as the best season.

Pudge714 11-04-2007 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate it when people bitch about season 2. It may not be the best season of the Wire, but it's still a better season than almost any other TV show. Also, it could be argued as the best season.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is The Wire follows a really unconventional approach, must other dramas pick up more or less where they left off. So you assume Season 2 will be the same and than you see all these people you don't recognize and you are wondering where the [censored] are Bodie and D and Omar and etc.

Edit: Not saying it is bad. I really liked the season, just saying that is what most people think when they start the season.

KneeCo 11-04-2007 12:34 PM

Season 2 was amazing, without it the show wouldn't work nearly as well either as an evolution of McNulty or as a television show with the city of Baltimore as the main character.

The season grows the scope of the show and really creates a "Wire" universe with characters moving around between different realms and working together/against each other in such interesting ways.

It's also just really, really well done and entertaining; I don't see any reason to hate on it.

12ressiMorP 11-04-2007 12:46 PM

The more I think back on Season 2, the more I like it.

FlyWf 11-04-2007 01:10 PM

Season 2 gets a lot better in retrospect and really shines on a second viewing(after having seen seasons 3 and 4).