Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   ask me about eyes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=283453)

DrGutshot 12-19-2006 03:15 AM

Re: ask me about eyes

slim
why do some people have terrible red eye in pictures, and some people almost never have it?

-DrG

slim 12-19-2006 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
slim
why do some people have terrible red eye in pictures, and some people almost never have it?

-DrG

[/ QUOTE ]

Red eye is caused by the reflection of the flash from the camera from the inside of the eyes (retina). The larger the pupils and the lighter colored the retina, the more red eye they will have.

bjb23 12-19-2006 07:02 AM

slim, good thread.

i am 25 years old and have recently noticed a couple small yellow spots on my eyes (one on each eye). my mother has this problem with her eyes only it is much worse. is there any way that i can prevent the spotting from becoming worse or am i doomed by genetics? can you tell me what causes this discoloration in my eyes? my mom heard that the problem seems to be more common among those with native american heritage... any truth to that?? thanks.

slim 12-19-2006 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
slim, good thread.

i am 25 years old and have recently noticed a couple small yellow spots on my eyes (one on each eye). my mother has this problem with her eyes only it is much worse. is there any way that i can prevent the spotting from becoming worse or am i doomed by genetics? can you tell me what causes this discoloration in my eyes? my mom heard that the problem seems to be more common among those with native american heritage... any truth to that?? thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called pinguecula......very common although you are young.Virtually everyone has them by 50-60 yrs old.
http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Ato...d_pterygium.jsp

mdob 12-19-2006 12:03 PM

Slim,
I wear glasses normally because my left eye is pretty bad even though my right eye is good. (I can read easily without glasses.) I thought to myself that I should probably try to help my left eye a bit, so I put a wad of paper between my glasses and my right eye, keeping it shut while I was on the computer. After about 15-30 minutes I would take the paper out and my vision in my right eye would be very blurry for a few minutes. What's going on there? Why wouldn't it happen right after I wake up? Any reason I should start doing this again (or never do it again)?

I'm far sighted and was 23 when I did this-- not that I think that matters.

slim 12-19-2006 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Slim,
I wear glasses normally because my left eye is pretty bad even though my right eye is good. (I can read easily without glasses.) I thought to myself that I should probably try to help my left eye a bit, so I put a wad of paper between my glasses and my right eye, keeping it shut while I was on the computer. After about 15-30 minutes I would take the paper out and my vision in my right eye would be very blurry for a few minutes. What's going on there? Why wouldn't it happen right after I wake up? Any reason I should start doing this again (or never do it again)?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pressure caused by the wad of paper on your eyeball and you closing your eyelids somewhat tight temporarily changes the shape of your cornea so it's blurry when you first open it. Then after a minute it bounces back to its original shape and thinggs clear up. There is no point in doing this to try to improve your left eye. If you were a child and had a "lazy" left eye, then doing this can help the left eye improve but you're over the hill now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

mdob 12-19-2006 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Slim,

[/ QUOTE ]

The pressure caused by the wad of paper on your eyeball and you closing your eyelids somewhat tight temporarily changes the shape of your cornea so it's blurry when you first open it. Then after a minute it bounces back to its original shape and thinggs clear up. There is no point in doing this to try to improve your left eye. If you were a child and had a "lazy" left eye, then doing this can help the left eye improve but you're over the hill now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! When I was a kid they made me wear a patch to prevent lazy eye, which is what gave me the idea. I remember wishing I'd just get lazy eye so I wouldn't have to wear the patch.

slim 12-19-2006 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Slim,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! When I was a kid they made me wear a patch to prevent lazy eye, which is what gave me the idea. I remember wishing I'd just get lazy eye so I wouldn't have to wear the patch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, that is all too common. I often even get kids, even older ones (8-9yrs old) coming in cliaming they can't see and need glasses. Hold some plain glass lenses in front of them and suddenly they are reading the bottom of the chart!