Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Euro (mostly British) Phrases that are catching on in the U.S.? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=541502)

GeraldGiraffe 11-20-2007 09:52 PM

Re: Euro (mostly British) Phrases that are catching on in the U.S.?

Fannybaws is like the best slang term of all time. Lots of Scottish slang seems to involve the word 'baw', even measurements - 'a midget's baw-hair.'

I think Geordie words should be immediately adopted by the general populace of earth in order to make it a more pleasant and edifying place in which to live.

The following are good:

How - used to get someone's attention, always aggresively whether your intentions are friendly or not

Belta - excellent, good

On the Hoy - going out on the lash - Drinking

Geet - big

Mullered/Mortal - extremely Drunk, usually follows a night on the Hoy

Mish - going on a mish, going to do something important or not really important

Edit: totally forgot the best scottish term for drunkeness ever: Troosered.

philr 11-21-2007 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
me and my roomate use the word "minga" a lot. I also use the word "telly" all the time, but no one else I know does. I've been known to say "[censored] hell" with a British accent after a bad beat (dunno why I started that one).

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant - i haven't heard anyone use the word Minga in years. Minga = ugly slapper = five til to bird (the ugly girl that gets picked up right before the club closes by some drunk guy looking to get laid) etc. etc.

On the topic of mingas there is the dreaded ginga minga (a really ugly red head - red heads in the uk are often refered to as having ginger hair but to be derogatory it is pronounced ginga with the g pronounced like g in goal).

Lastly one of my favorite phrases from the homeland is "sweating like a fat lass running for the bus".

Jay Riall 11-21-2007 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly one of my favorite phrases from the homeland is "sweating like a fat lass running for the bus".

[/ QUOTE ]

'Sweating like a pedo in a playground' is better imo [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

SmokeyRidesAgain 11-21-2007 05:59 PM

Bawbag is pretty good too.

Jay Riall 11-21-2007 06:53 PM

'Steve McLaren - what an utter c*nt' is one you guys should definitely start using imo.

Hamish McBagpipe 11-21-2007 07:00 PM

I was referred to as a Sweatie by an Englishman and had never heard that before. Took a while to get the rhyming slang. I don't think those types of slang phrases would ever catch on in North America.

Sweatie.....sweatsock....Jock (Scotsman).

Although I've heard Dumptruck being used a lot here, Toronto, instead of Dumb F*#$ which I think is kind of the same idea and pretty funny when you first hear two guys calling each other dumptrucks.