Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Heartland Poker Tour Upcoming Events & they're coming 2 Denver area 2! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=460527)

DanielleRB 10-06-2007 05:00 PM

Re: Heartland Poker Tour Upcoming Events & they\'re coming 2 Denver

I could see wanting to move somewhere for better poker games...but better weather? (jk)

My husband is a San Diego native and is totally hooked on the CO weather - it may be colder, but it is sunny most days.

RR 10-06-2007 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could see wanting to move somewhere for better poker games...but better weather? (jk)

My husband is a San Diego native and is totally hooked on the CO weather - it may be colder, but it is sunny most days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the places that are warmer are also sunny everyday [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Ultra Violet 10-06-2007 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well the places that are warmer are also sunny everyday [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought all poker players were allergic to sunlight? [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

The Bus Driver 10-06-2007 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Randy, you only need to move about half an hour down the road. It's warmer at the bottom of the hill.

The Bus Driver 10-06-2007 08:19 PM

So I went up to check out the Satellites today. My plan was just to take one shot at a $75 and whatever happens happens, since I don't really have time to chase this thing and I'm not much for tournaments anyway.

The satellites started at 3:00 and they started taking sign-ups at 2:00. I got there at 12:30, so I got a seat in a $2-5 game to kill the time. At about 1:50, I looked up at the sign-up desk and saw no line. I literally looked down at my cards, turbo mucked them and in that amount of time, there was already a line damn near out the front entrance of the poker room and it didn't stop growing there. There were probably 100-120 people in line in a matter of a couple minutes.

Anyway, I got in line quick and got in the first group of satellites. They ran 8 at a time. I just played standard sit-n-go poker and won myself a seat in tomorrow's 6:30pm $340 qualifier.

There were probably 3 or 4 pretty good players other than myself, not that I'm good or bad. I think if you just know your way around a sit-n-go, you'll be fine. For sure you should win a spot in 2 or 3 attempts, if not your first. If I had the time to play some more, I'd just play the $75s until I had 5 qualifier certificates and turn those in for a direct buy-in to the main event. As it stands, I'm just going to take one shot.

Anyone else down there today or plan on playing in the qualifier tomorrow? I think I might have seen CincyLady there today, but I'm not sure.

The Bus Driver 10-06-2007 08:27 PM

Oh yeah and they were only playing $75s today, no $40s. I don't know that anyone cares to play the $40s anyway.

Ultra Violet 10-06-2007 09:00 PM

Do you happen to know how full the qualifiers are? When I signed up for Sunday's qualifier on Thursday they were saying it was really full and going to fill up. But when I asked how many seats were left, the guy said there were 90 seats left. That's only 60% full!

I know it's better to plan ahead, but sometimes I wonder if the Gates is trying to manufacture hysteria?

The Bus Driver 10-06-2007 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you happen to know how full the qualifiers are? When I signed up for Sunday's qualifier on Thursday they were saying it was really full and going to fill up. But when I asked how many seats were left, the guy said there were 90 seats left. That's only 60% full!

I know it's better to plan ahead, but sometimes I wonder if the Gates is trying to manufacture hysteria?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's more likely that the people you're talking to actually just don't know.

Ultra Violet 10-06-2007 09:33 PM

Ha, ha. I think you are right. Even though the person I asked was the guy holding the sign up list. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The Bus Driver 10-06-2007 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ha, ha. I think you are right. Even though the person I asked was the guy holding the sign up list. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
The guy at the sign-up desk doesn't know. Of course it's not the same guy(s) all the time, but when I signed up, the guy looked pretty official and he was not able to answer two questions from the guy ahead of me in line. At least he told him he didn't know, though, instead of just making some [censored] up. If you were there today, the guy who actually has the answers is the one who was wearing the pink shirt. I used to know his name, but I can't think of it right now.

And I really do get the impression that the Gates wasn't quite ready for this and they're caught a bit by surprise at its popularity and some other things that come up the first time you run an event like this. I'd imagine they'll have it worked out a bit better next year.