Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   The Official "Tom Brady re-writes the record books in 2007" Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=508060)

Assani Fisher 10-22-2007 12:45 AM

Re: The Official \"Tom Brady re-writes the record books in 2007\" Thread

I am disagreeing with you that he doesn't have good QB skills. Are you forgetting that hes in his 2nd year? How do Jay Cutler and Matt Leinart look by comparison? How about Alex Smith last year? Do those guys not have good QB skills either?

Yes, VY is athletic, but there are a ton of athetlic guys in the NFL...VY is a good QB becuase he is a good QB.

Also I have no idea what you're talking about being benched. He got hurt this past week, not benched.

And yes, you are stating AN OPINION that hes isn't a good QB. And I'm not sure what these "countless arguments against him" are exactly. Actually yes I do know what they are: They are arguments that measure VY the way that you'd measure a traditional non running QB. In other words, they're silly arguments that are a completely unfair way to measure his skillset. Same issue with Mike Vick.

tdarko 10-22-2007 12:56 AM

Assani,

Vick sucked too. Are you saying he was good? Cutler and Leinart may not produce right away for the reasons you mention (2nd year) but I mean you do see the same thing I am seeing right? You can look at both of those QB's and see the skill difference right? I am also not measuring him against Brady or any other pure pocket passer--I watch the games and realize that he just isn't that good of a QB.

Circular argument anyway. Let's go back to Brady is a God b/c he is.

Assani Fisher 10-22-2007 01:08 AM

No tdarko, I disagree. I think Vick was an excellent QB. I know that pro bowl voting isn't everything, but the fact that Vick made 3 pro bowls in 6 years shows that someone agrees with me at least.

Vick turned around a bad team and made them into a legit title contender. Of course its the same thing with Vick as it is with Young: Everyone says "oh its the defense and the running game" but whenever Vick is out they lose but with him they win.

The anti-vick/Young crowd will point out one or two instances where that doesn't hold true(like today's game or the season in which Vick went "only" 8-7). But overall the evidence is staggering that their teams do much better with them. Yet if you look at the normal QB stats, they don't seem to be good....but then again, they aren't "normal" QBs, so don't you think that perhaps theres something about their games that you aren't taking into consideration when using these normal stats?

For the record, I don't think Vick or YOung are in Manning or Brady's league, but I think they were solidly in the #3-10 QB range throughout their careers(not including their very first games of course when they were still learning).

THAY3R 10-22-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assani,

Vick sucked too. Are you saying he was good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here we go again...

edit: LOL

Jack of Arcades 10-22-2007 01:16 AM

Some thoughts:

1. Brady now has a very good chance to break the TD record, but has a string of semi-competent defenses coming up. A couple of bad games could wreck his chances.

2. Randy Moss isn't even putting up numbers out of line with his previous seasons.

tdarko 10-22-2007 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I don't think Vick or YOung are in Manning or Brady's league, but I think they were solidly in the #3-10 QB range throughout their careers(not including their very first games of course when they were still learning).

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a huge gap. There is a big difference between the 4th best QB in the league and the 10th best.

I don't really want to turn this into a Vick/VY thread to be honest. Let's just know that we aren't going to agree...cool.

Assani Fisher 10-22-2007 01:27 AM

Yeah thats cool...we can agree to disagree.

As for the 4-10 thing...it depend on which year you're talking about. Right now theres obviously a top 2.

After that I'm not seeing a big difference between guys like Favre, McNabb, Palmer, Romo, Brees, Young, Big Ben, Garrard, Garcia, Kitna, etc.

Pudge714 10-22-2007 01:57 AM

Assani,
I love how you assume there are no personnel changes or player improvements between the 2001 Pats and the 2004 Pats.
Last year the Red Sox didn't make the playoffs. This year they added Juiilo Lugo and are in the WS. Therefore Julio Lugo caused them to make the WS.

Assani Fisher 10-22-2007 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assani,
I love how you assume there are no personnel changes or player improvements between the 2001 Pats and the 2004 Pats.
Last year the Red Sox didn't make the playoffs. This year they added Juiilo Lugo and are in the WS. Therefore Julio Lugo caused them to make the WS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't assume that.

Eagles 10-22-2007 02:07 AM

Assani,
Why do you keep saying Joe Montana was the second best qb you've ever seen play when you probably saw him play less than 10 games and most of those were before you were in middle school?

The titans did terribly today without VY.If he wasn't on the sideline Bironas would have missed that field goal. VY WINS GAMES! he intangibled that field goal through the posts from the sidelines.