Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   DERB (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=49)

Nomar 05-06-2005 10:23 AM

Re: DERB

DID SOMEONE SAY PROP BET ???

I'm in, the bet amount must be worth it !!!

I was thinking 6,000 15-30 hands, VPIP 28, most money won

lets gamble....

Andrew Prock 05-06-2005 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He is not just loose and aggressive, he is also a calling station. I played a hand with him where someone raised in EP, 2 cold called and he 3 bet AJo. I capped out of the SB. I bet every street and the final board was 94259. He overcalled the river. Are you saying that this is indicative of some higher level postflop strategy of which I am not aware?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me ask you a very simple question. What is the EV of calling the river? You seem to think it's very low, but I'll wager that you couldn't even begin to estimate the EV of any of the plays he made.

Again, this is a fairly pedestrian hand. There were no gross errors. If this is what you dredge up as an example of "horrible" play, then I'll have to answer:

Yes, this is indicative of some higher level postflop strategy of which you are not aware.

School is over.

- Andrew

www.pokerstove.com

MattSuspect 05-06-2005 11:10 AM

I'd already win. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Paluka 05-06-2005 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

DID SOMEONE SAY PROP BET ???

I'm in, the bet amount must be worth it !!!

I was thinking 6,000 15-30 hands, VPIP 28, most money won

lets gamble....

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a pretty big difference between a 28 VPIP at party 15/30 where you are exercising table selection and a 28 VPIP at party 30/60.

Justin A 05-06-2005 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He is not just loose and aggressive, he is also a calling station. I played a hand with him where someone raised in EP, 2 cold called and he 3 bet AJo. I capped out of the SB. I bet every street and the final board was 94259. He overcalled the river. Are you saying that this is indicative of some higher level postflop strategy of which I am not aware?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me ask you a very simple question. What is the EV of calling the river? You seem to think it's very low, but I'll wager that you couldn't even begin to estimate the EV of any of the plays he made.

Again, this is a fairly pedestrian hand. There were no gross errors. If this is what you dredge up as an example of "horrible" play, then I'll have to answer:

Yes, this is indicative of some higher level postflop strategy of which you are not aware.

School is over.

- Andrew

www.pokerstove.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's funny. Overcalling the river has an EV of -1 big bets.

Andrew Prock 05-06-2005 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, not even a clue how to estimate it.

- Andrew

freehat 05-06-2005 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, not even a clue how to estimate it.

- Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright Prock lets say there are some magic metagame situations (i.e. people will be scared to bluff him, though they should counter with relentless value-betting or maybe he is sooo smart to set this up for this one hand and will make it up later) there is no way that he can compensenate from giving away approximately -1 BB on his river overcall.

adios 05-06-2005 12:49 PM

Hi Andrew, glad you contributed, seriously. Yep I agree with you that saying that it's -1 BB EV is wrong. Not saying I'm a that sophisticated of a player. What I've noted on this forum is that there is a specific lack of EV estimates when analyzing hands. Put another way, there's a specific lack quantitative analysis supporting why one line of play has a higher EV than an alternative line of play. It's always been that way.

adios 05-06-2005 12:58 PM

Are there any scenarios that the overcall could be winning this hand?

brick 05-06-2005 12:58 PM

I estimate that it is a terrible overcall. Worth a good steak dinner at least.

5 x 4 = 20 = 10
3 x 1 = 3 = 1.5
3 x 1 = 3
2 x 1 = 2

you'll be good about 1 in 50.

16.5 BB * 1 = 16.5
-1 * 49 = -49

-32.5 / 50 = -.65 BB