Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Best Films of the 21st Century (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=483283)

KOTLP 08-29-2007 03:07 PM

Re: my next ten

[ QUOTE ]
On Demand (the pay sections) really sucks. All it really has are bigger budget current releases. I have never used it. The free part has probably 300-400 movies of various age and public popularity. The premium channel part gives you most of the stuff airing that month on that channel (I have HBO, Showtime, Stars and Encore). But I also have a lot of non on-demand choices. Especially since I learned how to use the search function [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I get over 30 movie channels with a few specializing in obscurities and classics and by using that I can DVR a lot of great choices. I went down Doms top ten list and found City of God and Sex and Lucia airing this week so I DVRed them. I plan to go through the rest of this thread and search for the other movies listed here that I haven't seen yet and I'm sure I will find plenty of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many of these are in the original aspect ratio, or does it not bother you that a large portion of the picture is cropped?

mrbaseball 08-29-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many of these are in the original aspect ratio, or does it not bother you that a large portion of the picture is cropped?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most are in original aspect and I hate it when they are cropped.

sethypooh21 08-29-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to admit, 25th Hour was one I thought long and hard about including. Terrific film.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably in my top 10 all time (not best, just favorites). The ground zero stuff from Barry Pepper's loft was a completely unexpected gut punch.

A lot of good stuff mentioned here - my tastes tend towards the mainstream.

Glad to see Collateral get some love.

Not mentioned yet is Master & Commander. Good story, good performances and, knowing a little how tricky shooting on water can be, technically amazing.

Similarly, I though Black Hawk Down is an amazing piece of filmmaking.

Friday Night Lights is about the best sports movie I can remember as far as getting the feeling of Team just right. This might not be enough to warrant top ten of the decade, but thought I'd mention it all the same.

Similar Hustle & Flow is about as good as I've ever seen about capturing creative inspiration. (<3 Black Snake Moan also, but not going to claim it's top ten material)

The first and third Bourne movies are quite good.

Monsoon Wedding.

Minority Report is so close, but I couldn't get past how obvious the villain was (Ebert's law of economy of characters and all)

LOTR, I agree with everything in Dom's OP and adopt by reference.

Any love for Kill Bill 2?

(and gosh this list makes me seem like far more of an action junkie than I am...I think the reason for this is that long form dramas on TV such as the incomparable "The Wire" have so far surpassed what has been produced in feature films in the last few years that it's hard to come up with many standout films.)

TomE. 08-29-2007 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
City of God and Sex and Lucia aren't obscure at all. every blockbuster in the world has them, most in the featured section

point being, i'd be shocked if they weren't airing this week somewhere

[/ QUOTE ]

"Sex and Lucia" was on IFC in the middle of August, 3:00am or something silly like that. I'm sure I've seen it on that channel at least 3 times in the last year. I haven't seen "City of God" on IFC yet, but I wasn't looking for it. For some reason I was thinking City of God was a movie with Patrick Swayze, so I avoided it altogether. I gotta start paying closer attention to these details.

I like IFC because they show the movies uncut, not a watered down "R" version, although we'll see how brave they are if they show "Shortbus" uncut.

Dominic 08-29-2007 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have to admit, 25th Hour was one I thought long and hard about including. Terrific film.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably in my top 10 all time (not best, just favorites). The ground zero stuff from Barry Pepper's loft was a completely unexpected gut punch.

A lot of good stuff mentioned here - my tastes tend towards the mainstream.

Glad to see Collateral get some love.

Not mentioned yet is Master & Commander. Good story, good performances and, knowing a little how tricky shooting on water can be, technically amazing.

Similarly, I though Black Hawk Down is an amazing piece of filmmaking.

Friday Night Lights is about the best sports movie I can remember as far as getting the feeling of Team just right. This might not be enough to warrant top ten of the decade, but thought I'd mention it all the same.

Similar Hustle & Flow is about as good as I've ever seen about capturing creative inspiration. (<3 Black Snake Moan also, but not going to claim it's top ten material)

The first and third Bourne movies are quite good.

Monsoon Wedding.

Minority Report is so close, but I couldn't get past how obvious the villain was (Ebert's law of economy of characters and all)

LOTR, I agree with everything in Dom's OP and adopt by reference.

Any love for Kill Bill 2?

(and gosh this list makes me seem like far more of an action junkie than I am...I think the reason for this is that long form dramas on TV such as the incomparable "The Wire" have so far surpassed what has been produced in feature films in the last few years that it's hard to come up with many standout films.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, Master & Commander and Black Hawk Down are both amazing movies. And I also love the Kill Bill films.

Jay Riall 08-30-2007 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man on Fire
As great as Michael Mann is, this one is often over-looked. However, I feel it will be the one Mann film to be re-watched and discussed 50 years from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I <3 this film soo much. It's a pretty dumb film admittedly, but the emotion is there by the bucketload. The relationship between Denzel and Dakota really makes this film great for me.

tuq 08-30-2007 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, see I'm REALLY bad at guessing bad guys and plot twists so I didn't pick up on this at all.

As hard-wired as I am to dislike formulaic big budget box office films, I really enjoyed this one. Not just for the plot twist but there were some pretty good action scenes and tension running throughout.

sethypooh21 08-30-2007 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, see I'm REALLY bad at guessing bad guys and plot twists so I didn't pick up on this at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is once you figure out what to look for (i.e. an actor playing a roll *seemingly* beneath them...) it sticks out like a sore thumb.

KDawg 08-30-2007 08:53 PM

Re: Repeat

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, a few more alternates:

Michael Haneke's Code Unknown, The Piano Teacher, and Hidden.

Bela Tarr's Wermeister Harmonies.

Todd Haynes's Far From Heaven.

Miyazaki's Spirited Away.

Guy Maddin's The Saddest Music in the World (If Lynch has been influenced by Maya Deren, then what's gotten into Maddin?)

Terrence Malick's The New World.

Michael Winterbottom's Tristram Shandy: A [censored](Are you really censoring "[censored]"?) and Bull Story.

For its story and acting, I like Patrice Leconte's Man on a Train but couldn't put it into the top ten.

Michael Mann's Collateral (What the hell, I love Mann's films, and it seems a homage of sorts to Le Samouri.)

My favorite as well is In the Mood for Love. (And I was disappointed with 2046, its "sequel.")

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse the typos, and I'm still waiting to get attacked for this list.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i already professed some serious love in this thread on far from heaven [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I also agree with spirited away. That is a film that is enjoyable for all ages and works on many different levels for me.

Personally, I just have a extremely hard time with Cache. It just flat out pissed me off at the end. I have no problem with an art film ending when the film has made itself out to be an art film the entire way, but, this was a hitchcockian thriller the entire way, and to pull that ending was complete crap and a cop out IMO

andyfox 08-31-2007 12:07 AM

I loved The Lives of Others and The Constant Gardener. Two extraordinary films.

Sexy Beast was Ben Kingsley's greatest performance, and that's saying something. I missed about 60% of the dialogue, though, due to the cockney accents. I've never felt tension in the theater like I did when the flight attendant walked down the aisle to tell Kingsley he couldn't smoke on the plane.