Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Quick rock paper scissors question (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553367)

Yeti 11-25-2007 02:39 PM

Re: Quick rock paper scissors question

The more I think about it the more appalled I am by this thread! After some thought I've realised I throw all mine vertically, 100% of the time. Throwing a horizontal paper seems very unnatural. As long as the action is clear who the f cares what angle it is at?

Taso 11-25-2007 02:45 PM

I don't know, I've never heard of anything as crazy as the talk in this thread.

You move your wrist/maybe arm up and down verticly, keeping your hand verticle for the "rocks" "paper" "scissors" "shoot!", turning it sideways if you throw out paper is extremley innefficient. Also, in my league we moved away from saying "Rocks..." outloud, to a more silent, professional approach, that allows for greater concentration.

adsman 11-25-2007 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The more I think about it the more appalled I am by this thread! After some thought I've realised I throw all mine vertically, 100% of the time. Throwing a horizontal paper seems very unnatural. As long as the action is clear who the f cares what angle it is at?

[/ QUOTE ]

Paper needs to come out at a slight angle pointing downwards away from your body. The preferred angle would be around 12 degrees. Scissors comes out striaght up and down. You cannot do paper in this way as you could be said to have changed from scissors to paper after the fact. Anyway, this is all largely irrelevant as anybody who is worth their weight in rock-scissors-paper knows to throw rock the majority of the time.

NickMPK 11-25-2007 03:23 PM

Unambiguously paper, and I don't see how this is angle shoot.
The orientation of your hand doesn't matter in this game, only how many fingers are protruding from you fist.
An open hand with your fingers splayed apart would still be paper. Two fingers stuck together would scissors.

11-25-2007 05:26 PM

Are there any RPS professionals here? Is the game actually beatable? I don't want to play if it's like Tic Tac Toe.

Taso 11-25-2007 05:41 PM

Oh...it's beatable.

MC Chris 11-25-2007 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You move your wrist/maybe arm up and down verticly, keeping your hand verticle for the "rocks" "paper" "scissors" "shoot!", turning it sideways if you throw out paper is extremley innefficient. Also, in my league we moved away from saying "Rocks..." outloud, to a more silent, professional approach, that allows for greater concentration.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? why would you even say "rocks"? it's rock. rock paper scissors. not rocks paper scissors. and you are the pro here?

MC Chris 11-25-2007 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unambiguously paper, and I don't see how this is angle shoot.
The orientation of your hand doesn't matter in this game, only how many fingers are protruding from you fist.
An open hand with your fingers splayed apart would still be paper. Two fingers stuck together would scissors.

[/ QUOTE ]

best post in this thread

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-25-2007 06:22 PM

rock paper sex is a way better game.

XXXNoahXXX 11-25-2007 06:32 PM

the more important question is, what do you say before every throw?

Taso 11-25-2007 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? why would you even say "rocks"? it's rock. rock paper scissors. not rocks paper scissors. and you are the pro here?

[/ QUOTE ]

h/u 4 rollz?!?

No seriously though, I was on no sleep, gimmie a break.

noah, you don't say anything. move your wrist up and down 3 times, and then on the 4th throw out whatever you choose. Also, don't hit your throwing hand into your alternate hand's palm while doing the 3 up and downs.

Yeti 11-25-2007 06:35 PM

1 2 3

i like the behind the back '1 2 3' then reveal. i'm not much into the 3 downward movements thing

MC Chris 11-25-2007 06:38 PM

come on man don't give me a weak no sleep argument. i bet you were up all night and hung over when you took your SAT and still pulled off a 1600 am i right?

i have def heard people say rocks paper scissors. all idiots tho [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Taso 11-25-2007 06:40 PM

did I get a 1600 or am I an idiot?

Yeti, I've never seen it done like that.

ClarkNasty 11-25-2007 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any RPS professionals here? Is the game actually beatable? I don't want to play if it's like Tic Tac Toe.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's totally beatable if your opponent is prone to the avalanche.

*** 11-25-2007 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rock paper sex is a way better game.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.mineferieminder.dk/Dark%2...the%20Moon.jpg

http://growabrain.typepad.com/growab...sd_blotter.jpg

http://www.arthritis.ca/images/user/...17F3F2A%7D.gif

schwza 11-26-2007 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another situation I've had. I threw scissors using my thumb and index finger. Big argument ensued (stakes were very high). How can this possibly be anything but scissors?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not scissors. this is equivalent to throwing just pinky, pinky thumb and pointer finger, or shocker - it is nothing.

if i threw paper vs this non-throw, i would accept a tie. if i threw scissors, i would grudingly accept tie. if i threw rock, i would obviously claim victory.

El Diablo 11-26-2007 03:19 AM

All,

I contend that paper is flat, period. Opponent insisted this was legit paper (which apparently a number of you also believe), so I let him have it - and the first throw win. I won 2/3, so everything worked out OK. I also played another guy 9 throws $100/each and we somehow ended up even 4-4-1. Should have played 3 2/3 matches for $300 each instead.

NoahSD 11-26-2007 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i like the behind the back '1 2 3' then reveal. i'm not much into the 3 downward movements thing

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for clarifying that you have no idea what you're talking about.

MC Chris 11-26-2007 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for clarifying that you have no idea what you're talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like he's just stating his preference, not the way things are officially, but thanks for clarifying that you don't know how to comprehend the written word.

fnord_too 11-26-2007 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I contend that paper is flat, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, the motive behind this thread is totally different than I thought. You should probably play with RPS flash cards if you think vertical paper is invalid. Also, if we ever play RPS, I am brining a level. If your paper isn't perfectly horizontal, DQ BABY!

Aces McGee 11-26-2007 04:33 PM

The definitive source: World RPS Society
[ QUOTE ]

Internationally Recognized Paper: Is also delivered in the same manner as rock with the exception that all fingers including the thumb are fully extended and horizontal with the points of the fingers facing the opposing player. Use of the "vertical paper" (sometimes referred to as "the handshake") is strictly forbidden in Tournament play due to its close resemblance to 'scissors if is thrown without care.

[/ QUOTE ]

El Diablo 11-26-2007 05:40 PM

Aces: Thank you.

Dissenters: Have anything else to add?

James282 11-26-2007 06:24 PM

D,

You didn't specify that this RPS showdown was during Tournament Play. Had you done so, I think it's pretty obvious that fewer people would have disagreed with you.

James

El Diablo 11-26-2007 07:10 PM

James,

It wasn't, but.. "The following techniques for representing the throws have been developed and approved by the World RPS Society for all levels of recreational and professional play."

keikiwai 11-26-2007 08:15 PM

it's a pair of scissors stuck closed, so it loses unless he stabs you

Taso 11-26-2007 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aces: Thank you.

Dissenters: Have anything else to add?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have nothing to add other than that much like the WSOP rules, some of them are rediculous, slow down game play, and only meant to protect people who don't know what they are doing.

Yeti 11-26-2007 10:21 PM

ugh so many idiots in this thread. i'm looking at you noah and diablo

Yeti 11-26-2007 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another situation I've had. I threw scissors using my thumb and index finger. Big argument ensued (stakes were very high). How can this possibly be anything but scissors?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not scissors. this is equivalent to throwing just pinky, pinky thumb and pointer finger, or shocker - it is nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

how could this be ANYTHING but scissors? jesus christ.

El Diablo 11-26-2007 10:57 PM

Yeti,

You are not even from America, so STFU.

Howard Treesong 11-26-2007 11:57 PM

I once got in a massive fight over vertical paper. In something like a $20 match, I had thrown a vertical paper and my opponent, having thrown rock, claimed I was DQ'd. I stood my ground until we were screaming at one another and poking one another in the chest. I then walked away ahead but never got paid.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm with Yeti on this one. That said, I usually clarify whether VP is OK before any given RPS match.

I hereby officially challenge El D to an RPS match the next time I'm in SF. Fear me, foe!

Yeti 11-27-2007 12:00 AM

Howard,

Why the reluctance to agree with me?! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Howard Treesong 11-27-2007 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Howard,

Why the reluctance to agree with me?! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you're not from the USA, of course. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Aces McGee 11-27-2007 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, I usually clarify whether VP is OK before any given RPS match.

[/ QUOTE ]

That you clarify vertical paper's acceptability before the match speaks volumes.

-McGee

AquaSwing 11-27-2007 11:10 PM

From the Advanced RPS:

[ QUOTE ]
Some players choose to retain the services of a personal trainer. Experienced and talented trainers can be invaluable in building an RPS career, but beware of charlatans. There are many “trainers” available for hire who have never been either a competitor or referee and have no qualifications to speak of. Before you sign a contract, find out who you’re dealing with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds a lot like poker.

From the FAQ:

[ QUOTE ]
25. When in a RPS match against a perceived psychic what is the best strategy to adhere to.

This is rarely encountered, but should you find yourself in this situation, we would recommend that you practice your throws while thinking of the name of another throw. Instead of thinking of it by its rightful name think of it by the throw that beats it. Therefore, throw scissors- think rock, throw rock - think paper, etc. This results in the psychic "hearing" your intention to play a certain throw, they will react and throw the throw that beats it, all the while you are actually throwing the throw that beats your opponent's. Practice it enough and it will become second nature.
One caveat, this effect may become permanent and affect your playing style professionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] poker, this is my new favorite game.

ElSapo 11-27-2007 11:29 PM

RPS is a lot of fun when taken seriously. Or rather, when you pretend to take it seriously. When everything becomes farce.

I went to the RPS World Championships in Toronto with a bunch of friends a few years ago - just a blur of a drunken weekend. We did a lot of interviews with television and newspapers, all the while trying to maintain some facade of seriousness, discussing training and strategy and whatever.

At times, it was sort of surreal. I did a phone interview with the NYT (none of it was used), and the whole thing seemed like a contest of who can out-facetious the other person. The reporter would ask questions about strategy and training, and I was completely baffled as to whether she was being serious, or thought I was being serious. She clearly won that round.

RPS may or may not be a game of greater or less skill than tic tac toe. But talking about RPS, seriously, there's a fun game.

Aces McGee 11-28-2007 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reporter would ask questions about strategy and training, and I was completely baffled as to whether she was being serious, or thought I was being serious

[/ QUOTE ]

I first stumbled upon that World RPS site in, I think, the late 1990s. Back then, the bulletin board was basically a very small community of people who took on these very detailed and official-sounding personas within the World RPS Society, discussing things as co-workers might via email. Occassionally, a stranger would wander by and post a question about, say, dynamite, and they'd always get an answer from the head of the Department of Theoretical Throws explaining that dynamite wasn't officially recognized.

The whole thing was extremely organized, like one person was posting under all the principles' accounts. Surreal is the word El Sapo used to describe it, and I think that's the right word. It was like a huge inside joke that everyone else was in on, except me.

The current board still has a lot of the same characters, but it's not as homogenous as it once was.

-McGee

*** 11-30-2007 12:38 AM

Vertical paper is basically:

http://www.fantasysupplies.co.uk/pro...215%5B1%5D.jpg