Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What makes you annoying? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553153)

nath 11-25-2007 02:11 AM

Re: What makes you annoying?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2.) When people are in a conversation where they’re all in general agreement about a subject I don’t really care about, I often take the other side just for the sake of argument. Instead of allowing them to enjoy their personal conversation, I derail it so they are instead arguing with me. I do this for sport, and genuinely respect those who out-argue me. I’m guessing they don’t have the same respect for me, especially those find this habit intimidating (a few) or tiresome (most).

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I do with a large portion of my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat: paragraph of meaningless ramblings could've been replaced by "I like to play devil's advocate."

[/ QUOTE ]
If "meaninglessly holding your attention" wasn't hit goal, he wouldn't be doing this in the first place.

nath 11-25-2007 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3. I care much less about birthdays (both my own and other people's) than the average person. Unless the person in question is a young child, i don't make a big thing about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know your pain. I once forgot my own birthday. This was before I drank, mind you. Woohoo, I made it 365 days without killing myself! Big 'Who Cares?'!

[/ QUOTE ]
You clearly don't challenge your own life expectancy enough.

The Man Mulcahey 11-25-2007 02:52 AM

Is this the thread where I ask for a custom title?

ArcticKnight 11-25-2007 03:22 AM

Alcohol

Nate. 11-25-2007 04:47 AM

Trey--

1) I mumble. It's pretty severe. It impedes conversation and just generally makes things tougher for people around me (and me too).

2) I have this nervous habit where I twirl a pen pretty much any time one is in my hand. (And I like to have a pen on me whenever I'm reading, which is very often, and most of the rest of the time I'm in class.) Anyway, I also suck at this activity, and am constantly dropping the pen. This annoys even me, but I can't stop. I'm thinking of buying mittens and wearing them everywhere until I break the habit.

3) Sometimes during a conversation I take these long pauses because I get obsessed with finding exactly the right word or phrase. Often this happens even long after I have a workable substitute in mind. So things just stop as I sit there with a dopey look on my face.

4) When I'm with someone or in a group, I often literally cannot generate preferences in many common situations. Thus the other person or people end up having to decide stuff. Unless they know me well, this also causes second-order annoyances of their worrying that they're imposing on me (and related obvious social stuff). But really I just cannot bring myself to care about the relevant stuff, and when I suspect that others might have significant preferences it causes some psychic trigger that makes even any slight preferences I would otherwise be able to muster totally unavailable.

5) My hearing is well below average. I have to ask people to repeat themselves often. Often I can easily figure out what they said within a second, but I can't keep myself from interjecting before that realization hits.

--Nate

Vyse 11-25-2007 05:08 AM

Wow, Nate, you are awesome.

I'm not kidding either. Your post RAPES.

JokersAttack 11-25-2007 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trey--

1) I mumble. It's pretty severe. It impedes conversation and just generally makes things tougher for people around me (and me too).

2) I have this nervous habit where I twirl a pen pretty much any time one is in my hand. (And I like to have a pen on me whenever I'm reading, which is very often, and most of the rest of the time I'm in class.) Anyway, I also suck at this activity, and am constantly dropping the pen. This annoys even me, but I can't stop. I'm thinking of buying mittens and wearing them everywhere until I break the habit.

3) Sometimes during a conversation I take these long pauses because I get obsessed with finding exactly the right word or phrase. Often this happens even long after I have a workable substitute in mind. So things just stop as I sit there with a dopey look on my face.

4) When I'm with someone or in a group, I often literally cannot generate preferences in many common situations. Thus the other person or people end up having to decide stuff. Unless they know me well, this also causes second-order annoyances of their worrying that they're imposing on me (and related obvious social stuff). But really I just cannot bring myself to care about the relevant stuff, and when I suspect that others might have significant preferences it causes some psychic trigger that makes even any slight preferences I would otherwise be able to muster totally unavailable.

5) My hearing is well below average. I have to ask people to repeat themselves often. Often I can easily figure out what they said within a second, but I can't keep myself from interjecting before that realization hits.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

solid post

JokersAttack 11-25-2007 05:19 AM

lol nate, solid stuff

kkcountry 11-25-2007 05:26 AM

i'm a loud talker - i can whisper, or i can basically yell, i have to actively think about talking at any volume in between

i'm a terrible listener - i have to ask people to repeat themselves multiple times just because i just stop paying attention halfway through. i also stop listening right after i've asked them to repeat themselves for the second or third time, i just can't help it.

i'm beyond horrible with names - for example, i study with a group of 5 or 6 people for a particular class i know one of their names, i couldn't even guess the names of the rest of them. if i need to remember a name (to find a girl on facebook, ldo) i have to write it down, otherwise i'll forget it.

Nate. 11-25-2007 05:27 AM

Vyse, JokersAttack--

Thanks. Strange thing to be getting compliments about, but thanks.

--Nate

NT! 11-25-2007 05:40 AM

--nervous tics, i am always tapping a foot / bouncing my leg, people find it distracting

--i am alternately totally uncommunicative / aloof and very talkative, without much middle ground.

--people can never tell if i am joking or not, i am very dry

--i don't know if others notice this or if it's just me, but i get irritated and embarrassed when groups of people i am with are obnoxious, impolite, or late, and may start trying to direct traffic. i try to be punctual and considerate and expect the same of others, which doesn't really sound bad, but this probably annoys people because most of them think it's cool to be late to everything and don't give a [censored] about manners anymore.

kkcountry 11-25-2007 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
--nervous tics, i am always tapping a foot / bouncing my leg, people find it distracting

--i am alternately totally uncommunicative / aloof and very talkative, without much middle ground.

--people can never tell if i am joking or not, i am very dry

--i don't know if others notice this or if it's just me, but i get irritated and embarrassed when groups of people i am with are obnoxious, impolite, or late, and may start trying to direct traffic. i try to be punctual and considerate and expect the same of others, which doesn't really sound bad, but this probably annoys people because most of them think it's cool to be late to everything and don't give a [censored] about manners anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh wow, i'm all of those too, especially the last one, and i know it pisses off my friends.

i just thought of another one, i probably use the "notify moderator" button far too often [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

NT! 11-25-2007 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just thought of another one, i probably use the "notify moderator" button far too often

[/ QUOTE ]

i just thought of another one too, i never read those damn things

Yeti 11-25-2007 12:28 PM

hahahah so true

supafrey 11-25-2007 12:46 PM

I rarely look people in the eyes when they're talking for more than a few seconds. This seems like a minor thing, and in my head it purely seems less confrontational/awkward, but the people I interact with pretty much hate it.

Guys think I'm losing interest in what they're saying, girls think I'm simply losing interest in them. Teachers think I'm rolling my eyes when in reality I've just stopped staring directly at them as they answer my questions... Believe it or not, people, but I am capable of following an argument or conversation without direct visual contact - it's not an insult, I swear!

MC Chris 11-25-2007 02:16 PM

i think i just talk too much and too loudly. also i am very impatient, though i'm always late for everything.

samsonite2100 11-25-2007 03:37 PM

I get annoyed way too easily about stupid things, which is funny to a point, but then becomes annoying in and of itself.

I'm pretty selfish and probably sometimes push too hard for what I want in group situations.

I have a hard time resisting calling a spade a spade, which is sometimes good in a "refreshing honesty" kind of way, but probably equally often annoying in a "STFU, dick" sense.

I take 20-30 minute showers

I get waaaay too mad at bad drivers, and become a bad driver myself in response.

I eat too slowly.

I drink too quickly.

I think religion is stupid and cannot resist putting it down, even around religious people.

I, like others in this thread, am a grammar fairy and a sneaker-outer of social functions.

Elevens 11-25-2007 04:59 PM

I provide too many unnecessary details.

ClassicBob 11-25-2007 05:13 PM

I oftentimes have to ask someone to repeat themselves, or simply say "what?" when someone says something to me, even though I actually heard it. For some reason, I'm able to process what they said before they repeat themselves, but it doesn't stop me from this knee-jerk response of "what?"

I also hate the awkwardness of goodbyes, and will dart out of social situations without telling people that I'm leaving.

Yeti 11-25-2007 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I oftentimes have to ask someone to repeat themselves, or simply say "what?" when someone says something to me, even though I actually heard it. For some reason, I'm able to process what they said before they repeat themselves, but it doesn't stop me from this knee-jerk response of "what?"

[/ QUOTE ]

how old are you? i think everyone does this once in a while. yet my grandma does it pretty much all the time.

ClassicBob 11-25-2007 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how old are you? i think everyone does this once in a while. yet my grandma does it pretty much all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

23 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-25-2007 05:28 PM

i sexually harass women.

Paulie Walnuts 11-25-2007 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I also hate the awkwardness of goodbyes, and will dart out of social situations without telling people that I'm leaving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored] [censored] this makes you soooooooo [censored] annoying. My [censored] Aunt does this all the time. No matter what. Never does she not say "huh?" everytime i say something to her. I confronted her about this god awful habit and she wont fess up. Most annoying [censored] ever.

miajag 11-25-2007 05:37 PM

My dad does the "huh?" thing too. Insanely annoying.

Paulie Walnuts 11-25-2007 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I rarely look people in the eyes when they're talking for more than a few seconds . This seems like a minor thing, and in my head it purely seems less confrontational/awkward, but the people I interact with pretty much hate it.

Guys think I'm losing interest in what they're saying, girls think I'm simply losing interest in them. Teachers think I'm rolling my eyes when in reality I've just stopped staring directly at them as they answer my questions... Believe it or not, people, but I am capable of following an argument or conversation without direct visual contact - it's not an insult, I swear!

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't annoying it shows others you lack self confidence

Vyse 11-25-2007 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I provide too many unnecessary details.

[/ QUOTE ]

I briefly smiled.