Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Patriots vs. NFC Pro Bowl Team, Who ya got? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553120)

capone0 11-23-2007 08:54 PM

Re: Patriots vs. NFC Pro Bowl Team, Who ya got?

Did I say just GB. I said GB + Dallas. Do you realize how good their pesonnel is.

bones 11-23-2007 08:55 PM

10-1 in the NFL is really [censored] good. I don't think most people realize how close teams are in talent.

Pudge714 11-23-2007 08:57 PM

GB is overrated and teams like TB, Jax and Pit are underrated, but they are all still really good.

ehafner 11-23-2007 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They almost lost to the Colts. How could they beat a Pro Bowl team?

[/ QUOTE ]

They played well below expectation imo. Pats had several costly penalties and still came out with the win, on the road, against far and away the 2nd best team in the NFL imo.

BillNye 11-23-2007 09:24 PM

I tried to keep out players that are done for the year but I could of easily snuck a few in, also this was just off the top of my head so could have easily missed some players.

QB - Favre, Romo, Brees
RB - Peterson, Westbrook, MBIII
FB - ???
WR - Owens, Smith, Fitzgerald, Holt, Boldin, Plaxico
TE - Jason Witten, Jeremy Shockey
LT - Walter Jones
LG - Steve Hutchinson
C - ??? (not birk, not Kruetz)
RG - Shawn Andrews
RT - Chris Samuels

Pats have the edge at QB, Moss is better than anybody from NFC but the rest of the depth is obviously worse. Pats have a large deficit at RB and Oline despite having super good Oline.

DE - Aaron Kampman
DT - Kevin Williams
DT - Tommie Harris
DE - Osi Umenyiora
OLB - Ware
MLB - Urlacher
OLB - Peterson
CB - Clements, R. Barber
CB - D. Hall, Al Harris
FS - S. Taylor
SS - A. Wilson

Devin Hester for KR / PR

Defense is clearly better, they got them outmatched in O + D + STeams.

NFC wins but I'd imagine the Pats could put up a fight as they have a good edge at coaching no matter who the NFC Head Coach is. NFC +10

Yeti 11-23-2007 09:33 PM

i think everyone in this thread vastly underestimates how important it is to have a team and not just a collection of random players.

Spellmen 11-23-2007 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried to keep out players that are done for the year but I could of easily snuck a few in, also this was just off the top of my head so could have easily missed some players.

QB - Favre, Romo, Brees
RB - Peterson, Westbrook, MBIII
FB - ???
WR - Owens, Smith, Fitzgerald, Holt, Boldin, Plaxico
TE - Jason Witten, Jeremy Shockey
LT - Walter Jones
LG - Steve Hutchinson
C - ??? (not birk, not Kruetz)
RG - Shawn Andrews
RT - Chris Samuels

Pats have the edge at QB, Moss is better than anybody from NFC but the rest of the depth is obviously worse. Pats have a large deficit at RB and Oline despite having super good Oline.

DE - Aaron Kampman
DT - Kevin Williams
DT - Tommie Harris
DE - Osi Umenyiora
OLB - Ware
MLB - Urlacher
OLB - Peterson
CB - Clements, R. Barber
CB - D. Hall, Al Harris
FS - S. Taylor
SS - A. Wilson

Devin Hester for KR / PR

Defense is clearly better, they got them outmatched in O + D + STeams.

NFC wins but I'd imagine the Pats could put up a fight as they have a good edge at coaching no matter who the NFC Head Coach is. NFC +10

[/ QUOTE ]

Depth is where it's at. You cover this with the offense, but defense is a huge advantage as well. The Pats receivers have been great, but try spreading out that secondary when it's Hall or Clements playing the nickel or dime, not happening. In addition, guys like Trent Cole, Shaun Rogers,or Pat Williams would be backups. You could build a line where at least 8 guys could be rotated in without much of a dropoff. The NE line is good, but these guys would just rape them as NE tired out and they stayed fresh. And obviously, no one is matching up against a lineup of Owens, Holt, Smith, and Fitz with Westbrook or Bush coming out of a backfield.

FlyWf 11-23-2007 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think everyone in this thread vastly underestimates how important it is to have a team and not just a collection of random players.

[/ QUOTE ]

In turn I think you are vastly underestimating the effect of fatigue. The other team would be rotating guys like crazy.

vhawk01 11-23-2007 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats being factored in, although some people explicitly mentioned "assuming 1 month to work together" and so on. I mean, the Pats looked pretty sick on offense in week 1, because their talent was overwhelming, how much time had they worked together before that? A few months? So, with even MORE overwhelming talent, they'd need even less time to dominate. Its not like these are college players having to get used to the NFL or NFL guys having to get used to rugby or something.

ZeTurd 11-23-2007 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this is key imo. If the premise is a perfectly gelled NFC team, coached by a brilliant coach over a long period of time, obviously the NFC team would be favored. In a realistic setting, the Pats would probably blow the NFC team off the field. Sad as that is.

BillNye 11-23-2007 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ya cuz this is a likely scenario and not a hypothetical.

"THEY ALL WONT FIT UNDER THE CAP!!!!11!1!"
"They cant memorize the playbook that fast!!!"

ooh really? no [censored], this is hypothetical.

Yeti 11-23-2007 09:48 PM

of course it's hypothetical, but you have to at least make some assumptions. the most logical one is that they play next week, not in 2 years time.

[ QUOTE ]

In turn I think you are vastly underestimating the effect of fatigue. The other team would be rotating guys like crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl....what?

vhawk01 11-23-2007 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this is key imo. If the premise is a perfectly gelled NFC team, coached by a brilliant coach over a long period of time, obviously the NFC team would be favored. In a realistic setting, the Pats would probably blow the NFC team off the field. Sad as that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, seriously? Pats were gelled and ready to demolish people by week 1 (and Brady was off and running by like game 3 of the preseason) so I think its pretty reasonable that a much more talented, much deeper team could make up for this even faster.

Thremp 11-23-2007 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
of course it's hypothetical, but you have to at least make some assumptions. the most logical one is that they play next week, not in 2 years time.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl....what?

[/ QUOTE ]

They have enough defensive lineman that fatigue is not an issue. They can rotate... You know... How normal teams rotate players in a game except there'll be very little drop off from 1-2-3 since its a pro bowl team.

vhawk01 11-23-2007 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl....what?

[/ QUOTE ]

By the fourth quarter, offensive lineman are tiring out but they are blocking equally tired out guys. In this game, they are going to be blocked well-rested PROBOWLERS in the 4th quarter. This is going to be a pretty huge edge.

Golden_Rhino 11-23-2007 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl....what?

[/ QUOTE ]

By the fourth quarter, offensive lineman are tiring out but they are blocking equally tired out guys. In this game, they are going to be blocked well-rested PROBOWLERS in the 4th quarter. This is going to be a pretty huge edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. Even top level athletes get tired, especially when playing against other top level athletes. Plus, linemen are kinda fat.

Victor 11-23-2007 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd take Packers + Cowboys best over the Pats. They aren't that good.

[/ QUOTE ]
You could pick two middle of the pack NFC teams and they would be favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this would be an interesting exercise.

How many teams would it take to make the game a pick 'em, assuming you started from the bottom up. Using AFC as well. Take the 49ers, Raiders and who else?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd probably have to go all the way up to the 4-6 teams. CIN, KC, MIN, NO, and BAL would make a sick team.

[/ QUOTE ]

cin/balt, cin/kc, no/balt, no/kc would all pwn. possibly swap kc and balt witn min too.

Thremp 11-23-2007 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl....what?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such sick self-ownage.

BillNye 11-23-2007 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl....what?

[/ QUOTE ]

It means that the NFC can have elite players constantly at 100% because they can sub in backups that are still awesome where as the Pats dont have as good as depth.

Yeti 11-23-2007 09:57 PM

not self-ownage, just clarifying that each team has the same number of players on the bench.

Yeti 11-23-2007 09:58 PM

yeah thanks bill

BillNye 11-23-2007 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not self-ownage, just clarifying that each team has the same number of players on the bench.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, cuz Kareem Brown is as good as NFC's PB team's backup DE, Trent Cole.

yjbrewer 11-23-2007 10:06 PM

Tell me one corner who can shut down Moss. I say that factor alone gives the Pats the edge. I do think NFC would win bc with the all star D line they would get enough pressure to disrupt Brady. Let us remember Dallas gave Brady fits til the 2nd half

doubLe a tom 11-23-2007 10:06 PM

Since fatigue is such a factor, why dont teams routinely use a "line change" in the 4th quarter, cause surely a 2nd string line with 100% stamina and energy is better than the 1st string line running on empty. right??

Golden_Rhino 11-23-2007 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell me one corner who can shut down Moss. I say that factor alone gives the Pats the edge. I do think NFC would win bc with the all star D line they would get enough pressure to disrupt Brady. Let us remember Dallas gave Brady fits til the 2nd half

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the fact that nobody shut down Moss won the Vikings tons of Superbowls.

FlyWf 11-23-2007 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since fatigue is such a factor, why dont teams routinely use a "line change" in the 4th quarter, cause surely a 2nd string line with 100% stamina and energy is better than the 1st string line running on empty. right??

[/ QUOTE ]

What would motivate someone who has never seen a football game before to post on this issue?

ZeTurd 11-23-2007 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, seriously? Pats were gelled and ready to demolish people by week 1 (and Brady was off and running by like game 3 of the preseason) so I think its pretty reasonable that a much more talented, much deeper team could make up for this even faster.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm not an expert for sure, but consider the two following facts:

1) The additions to the Pats, while certainly making an impact, weren't more than a 10% change to their starting roster (correct me if I'm way off here)

2) They had, what, 4-5 months, in the preseason to gel the team, work out plays, and teach the players the system? If you'd be telling me that the NFC team would have the same period of time before the match I might be willing to give them the edge.

doubLe a tom 11-23-2007 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What would motivate someone who has never seen a football game before to post on this issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

Thremp 11-23-2007 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Newsflash: Teams use a rotation on D-line.

doubLe a tom 11-23-2007 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Newsflash: Teams use a rotation on D-line.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh [censored]. i thought i was onto something but i guess not.

what about the o-line though?

xorbie 11-23-2007 10:26 PM

Asante Samuel is a good CB but fairly overrated.

doubLe a tom 11-23-2007 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He has to play against good players though, unlike Al Harris who has played 9 games this year against teams without legit #1 WR's

Kneel B4 Zod 11-23-2007 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he's one of the top 5 CB's in the league

vixticator 11-24-2007 06:08 AM

This question is pretty funny, that is all. NFC by a ton.

dmisfh1 11-24-2007 06:43 AM

Very nice level. Well played, OP. Well played.

onlinebeginner 11-24-2007 02:33 PM

Wouldn't it be interesting to find two teams that could not beat them?

Dolphins + Jets might be the only answer....

(this is if the team was put together and started training camp at the same time as the pats team)

vhawk01 11-24-2007 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some teams do but most teams have a pretty steep dropoff in talent so it isnt really worth it. The PB team wouldnt have that problem.

vhawk01 11-24-2007 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm not an expert for sure, but consider the two following facts:

1) The additions to the Pats, while certainly making an impact, weren't more than a 10% change to their starting roster (correct me if I'm way off here)

2) They had, what, 4-5 months, in the preseason to gel the team, work out plays, and teach the players the system? If you'd be telling me that the NFC team would have the same period of time before the match I might be willing to give them the edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Good point.

2) No way they had 4-5 months.

onlinebeginner 11-24-2007 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it be interesting to find two teams that could not beat them?

Dolphins + Jets might be the only answer....

(this is if the team was put together and started training camp at the same time as the pats team)

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe throw the raiders into this trio

capone0 11-24-2007 02:51 PM

Raiders actually have a solid O-line and decent running game when healthy. They also have a solid 2ndary. Dolphins front 7 isn't bad. And the sad part, the Jets might have the best QB of the 3 teams. They also have a good WR in Coles and Cotchery isn't bad.