Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   possible reason arod signed early? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547284)

Matt Williams 11-16-2007 03:44 PM

Re: possible reason arod signed early?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boras probably knew all along the $350 number wasn't gonna happen. he just made it up so when Arod settles for $300 it looks like he gave in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is the whole [censored] point. Everyone who can't grasp this concept needs to take a class on negotiating tactics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem is, that wasn't Boras's original negotiating point. He wanted $500 million w/ a possible stake in ownership after A-Rod retired. The $350 million was the low end that Boras was willing to settle for.

Matt Williams 11-16-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, so the money is fine. They still lose on the rep and relationship points.

[/ QUOTE ]

A shame, because these totally count if they tie with Boston at the end of the season next year.

It would seem that Alex/Boras managed to once again get a team to bid against itself, and this time after that team said it wouldn't!

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly did the Yankees bid against themselves? They negotiated this thing in less than a day. The Yankees don't mind overspending for their players. Look at what they are offering Rivera. 4M MORE than then next highest paid reliever.

centris 11-16-2007 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, so the money is fine. They still lose on the rep and relationship points.

[/ QUOTE ]

A shame, because these totally count if they tie with Boston at the end of the season next year.

It would seem that Alex/Boras managed to once again get a team to bid against itself, and this time after that team said it wouldn't!

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly did the Yankees bid against themselves? They negotiated this thing in less than a day. The Yankees don't mind overspending for their players. Look at what they are offering Rivera. 4M MORE than then next highest paid reliever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Close only off by roughly 9 days.

[ QUOTE ]
The contract discussions have been going on for roughly ten days covertly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source

Vyse 11-17-2007 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Arod signed because he never wanted to leave the Yankees but he simply wanted to get the best deal he could and Boras figured they could get a 300+ deal from the Yankees if they made other teams bid against them. Alex believed him and thus opted out on the advise of Boras. Boras convinced him that the Yankees were just bullshitting and would bid for his services along with several other teams.

That didn't happen. Boras ended up making his client even more hated by the population and Arod realized without a bidding war the Yankees were the team that could give him the best deal quickly so he could get this mess overwith. I think Arod cares about his legacy and would love to go down as a all time great Yankee. So he kissed and made up and said give me the best offer u woulda given me pre-opt out and lets get this done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is what YOU want to believe, not what actually happened.

And wow, this shows how much of a media charade sports is becoming, and it's just sickening. Lmfao, Boras lost rep? From who? What is Boras' job? An agent. What did he just do? AT THE VERY LEAST get A-Rod $50 million more for two years than he was going to get, and that's not including incentives. When so many types were doubting that A-Rod would be able to get what he wanted, A-Rod got better than what he wanted. A TEN YEAR contract? That is preposterous. Even eight years was stretching it.

How did Boras lose rep? Every other player saw this and is like, "Wow, Boras is just as good as he says he is." Every player that signs him always gets a monstrous contract, more than they should get. This enhances his rep with the only people that matter: the people who employ him.

And rofl @ A-Rod's rep damaged. Wow, you mean people are going to boo him at home? Why in the world should he care? He gets paid monstrous money for ten years, probably four or five years more than he will actually be worth in on-field production. Oh wow some mindless internet and real-life fans are going to whine, without realizing that A-Rod helps the Yanks more than the Yanks help A-Rod? Why should A-Rod cater to the ignorant anyway?

I love Boras precisely because he is great at his job, and that is what matters. The fact that he made you think not getting $350 million is a loss just proves how good he is, and the fact that you're making it into some personal battle rather than a business relationship shows that you're a bad poster and you don't know very much.

vhawk01 11-17-2007 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Arod signed because he never wanted to leave the Yankees but he simply wanted to get the best deal he could and Boras figured they could get a 300+ deal from the Yankees if they made other teams bid against them. Alex believed him and thus opted out on the advise of Boras. Boras convinced him that the Yankees were just bullshitting and would bid for his services along with several other teams.

That didn't happen. Boras ended up making his client even more hated by the population and Arod realized without a bidding war the Yankees were the team that could give him the best deal quickly so he could get this mess overwith. I think Arod cares about his legacy and would love to go down as a all time great Yankee. So he kissed and made up and said give me the best offer u woulda given me pre-opt out and lets get this done.

[/ QUOTE ]

And wow, this shows how much of a media charade sports is becoming, and it's just sickening. Lmfao, Boras lost rep? From who? What is Boras' job? An agent. What did he just do? AT THE VERY LEAST get A-Rod $50 million more for two years than he was going to get, and that's not including incentives. When so many types were doubting that A-Rod would be able to get what he wanted, A-Rod got better than what he wanted. A TEN YEAR contract? That is preposterous. Even eight years was stretching it.

How did Boras lose rep? Every other player saw this and is like, "Wow, Boras is just as good as he says he is." Every player that signs him always gets a monstrous contract, more than they should get. This enhances his rep with the only people that matter: the people who employ him.

And rofl @ A-Rod's rep damaged. Wow, you mean people are going to boo him at home? Why in the world should he care? He gets paid monstrous money for ten years, probably four or five years more than he will actually be worth in on-field production. Oh wow some mindless internet and real-life fans are going to whine, without realizing that A-Rod helps the Yanks more than the Yanks help A-Rod? Why should A-Rod cater to the ignorant anyway?

I love Boras precisely because he is great at his job, and that is what matters. The fact that he made you think not getting $350 million is a loss just proves how good he is, and the fact that you're making it into some personal battle rather than a business relationship shows that you're a bad poster and you don't know very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, basically.

Borgland 11-17-2007 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They wont beat Boston next year. Hell, it would be nice to see ARod actually do something to help his win in the post season.

SBR 11-17-2007 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They wont beat Boston next year. Hell, it would be nice to see ARod actually do something to help his win in the post season.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your point? Do you even have one? ARod made a smart business decision end of discussion. Whether or not he under performs in the playoffs or the Yankees beat Boston is irrelevant. It isn't ARods job to beat the Red Sox. It's his job to play third base and hit to the best of his ability.

fredd-bird 11-17-2007 03:54 PM

Truthfully I sort of think that he signed as an attempt to rival the Barry Bonds story. Attention whore

kyleb 11-17-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate agreeing with Vyse sometimes. Unfortunately, this is spot-on.

No one gives a [censored] what the random fan thinks about A-Rod - "Ohhh, he is a pussy and settled for less money; he's only in it for the money, blah blah blah." He negotiated the best contract he could for the job he is going to do for an organization that needs his skills.

What the [censored] is the difference between this and getting a raise from your boss because you might leave for another company?

Franchise 60 11-17-2007 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did Boras lose rep? Every other player saw this and is like, "Wow, Boras is just as good as he says he is."

[/ QUOTE ]

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3115789

Matt Williams 11-17-2007 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How did Boras lose rep? Every other player saw this and is like, "Wow, Boras is just as good as he says he is."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget Kenny Rogers fired him too. Granted Rogers is 80 years old, but it still makes Boras look bad.

Vyse 11-17-2007 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you think A-Rod gets the same contract with another agent not named Scott Boras?

That's all it comes down to. That simple.

Matt Williams 11-17-2007 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you think A-Rod gets the same contract with another agent not named Scott Boras?

That's all it comes down to. That simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he would have. Not only that, it would have been done before he had a chance to opt out; thus saving him the embarrassment of being scorned. The Yankees made it quite clear to him after the ASB that they wanted him back.

kyleb 11-18-2007 12:15 AM

And the highest offer prior to opt-out was 8/225.

Tell me again, what deal is he currently signing?

Matt Williams 11-18-2007 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees wanted to start at that. It doesn't mean they weren't going to go higher and then did only because Boras was the agent. It's the Yankees. Since when do they low-ball offers to players they want? This is the same team that gave a 44 year old pitcher a $28 million contract to pitch half a year. Look at what Posada and Mo are getting. You are naive if you really think A-Rod would have gotten a worse deal than he did.

Thremp 11-18-2007 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees wanted to start at that. It doesn't mean they weren't going to go higher and then did only because Boras was the agent. It's the Yankees. Since when do they low-ball offers to players they want? This is the same team that gave a 44 year old pitcher a $28 million contract to pitch half a year. Look at what Posada and Mo are getting. You are naive if you really think A-Rod would have gotten a worse deal than he did.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an idiot.

kyleb 11-18-2007 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

quoted for blah blah

JaredL 11-18-2007 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't there only one offer made?

If so their starting offer was 8/225. So the same logic that brought you to

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boras probably knew all along the $350 number wasn't gonna happen. he just made it up so when Arod settles for $300 it looks like he gave in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is the whole [censored] point. Everyone who can't grasp this concept needs to take a class on negotiating tactics.

[/ QUOTE ]

should get you to A-Rod getting a contract about where the current one is, no?

kyleb 11-18-2007 12:44 AM

No. The highest offer prior to opt-out was 8/225, according to many reporters.

JaredL 11-18-2007 12:59 AM

Right. My impression based on the comments made during game 4 of the WS, which may be incorrect as I didn't follow it too closely, was that ARod/Boras didn't negotiate at all. Is this incorrect?

Basically I'm asking if the highest offer was the only offer made.

CharlieDontSurf 11-18-2007 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate agreeing with Vyse sometimes. Unfortunately, this is spot-on.

No one gives a [censored] what the random fan thinks about A-Rod - "Ohhh, he is a pussy and settled for less money; he's only in it for the money, blah blah blah." He negotiated the best contract he could for the job he is going to do for an organization that needs his skills.

What the [censored] is the difference between this and getting a raise from your boss because you might leave for another company?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your an idiot if you think what Boras did is awesome and a great job.

Boras's is supposed to help his client not hurt him.

Arod was in his best possible situation at the end of the season. The Yankee fan base was essentially still behind him despite another poor postseason and the Yankees fans wanted him back and didn't care how much it took to keep him.
He would have gotten as good a contract if not better had he never opted out in the first place.

What were the Yankees were gonna say during negotiations with Boras pre opt out? no thanks...we'll sign Mike Lowell to 4 years instead?

They would have given him as good a deal as he has now if not better because they wouldn't have wanted him to hit the open market and they had a free 21 million.

They had put themselves in a must sign situation by demanding to the media that if he opted out they would cease negotiations. So Arod would have gotten the best deal pre-opt out...not post.

Arod had little no leverage at all post opt out. Both the Yankees and the fan base had essentially moved on and accepted that Arod would never play again for the Yankees.

Arod had tons of leverage pre-opt out.

When your client decides to be termed by most of the media as having had "crawled back to the Yankees" to negotiate a new contract without you leading the negotiations...you haven't done a great job as an agent.

He made Arod look bad and got him a good deal but not the best one possible.

That's not doing your job as an agent.

CharlieDontSurf 11-18-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol ...that was the highest offer prior to Arod GOING BACK TO THE YANKEES after he had opted out.

"While Yankees officials went underground yesterday and Boras was silent outside of telling CNBC he is negotiating with the Yankees on Rodriguez's behalf after many believed Rodriguez went behind Boras' back, it's believed the best offer Rodriguez had before surfacing in Tampa Wednesday to meet with the Steinbrenner family was for eight years and $225 million. It wasn't known what team made that offer."

No teams could make an offer pre-opt out.

The Yankee's initial offer pre-opt out was a 5 year extension at like 30 million per year. It was the first offer in what was planned to be a tough negotiation 10 days prior to the opt out. It was the [censored] initial offer---the lowball offer.

Arod would have gotten 10 years regardless...and he undoubtedly would have gotten more per season pre-opt out.

but yeah...your right...Boras did a fantastic job.

FlyWf 11-18-2007 01:43 AM

This thread is killing my brain cells. ARod's leverage WAS opting out. He got a substantial raise and extra years, he won. Boras won. Why would the Yankees have given him more money when he was still their property?

Didn't the Yankees threaten to cease all negotiations if he opted out? Didn't they then buckle and give ARod a hefty raise? I know many people are very stupid and blindly swallow everything the ownership shills in the media feed them, but Christ, you people make me weep for America.

Franchise 60 11-18-2007 01:44 AM

I love all the misinformed Yankee hating going on in this thread.

Somehow this turned into Boras calling the Yankees bluff and the Yankees came crawling back to A-Rod and Boras, while Boras is agent of the year and the Yankees bitched out. So wrong.

Mondogarage 11-18-2007 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was as an extension to the remaining years of the current contract.

So compare the 10/275 to 8/225 + the remaining years/$ on the contract he had left pre opt out. It's pretty much a wash.

CharlieDontSurf 11-18-2007 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is killing my brain cells. ARod's leverage WAS opting out. He got a substantial raise and extra years, he won. Boras won. Why would the Yankees have given him more money when he was still their property?

Didn't the Yankees threaten to cease all negotiations if he opted out? Didn't they then buckle and give ARod a hefty raise? I know many people are very stupid and blindly swallow everything the ownership shills in the media feed them, but Christ, you people make me weep for America.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fly...Arod leverage was the opt out. Boras was to dumb to actually use it.

"Didn't the Yankees threaten to cease all negotiations if he opted out?"

This is exactly why Arod has so much leverage pre opt out. They painted themselves into a corner where they essentially had to sign him within the next 10 days. Otherwise he was essentially done with the Yankees for good unless they came back to Boras during Free Agency.

Boras could have used those ten days and gone right down to the wire to keep upping the ante and demanding more more more more.

The Yankees didn't have a real plan B short of over spending for Mike Lowell. Arod was the only plan.
Thats why they were shocked when Boras didn't even bother to negotiate a new contract but simply opted out early.

Vyse 11-18-2007 03:07 AM

the fact that the yankees gave in and negotiated with A-Rod AFTER he opted out AND they gave him an ultimatum is all the proof you need that Boras helped. Anything else is just wishful thinking.

wisehandpoker 11-18-2007 03:35 AM

I think Boras got ARod more than anyone else would have. I also think that, if Boras had played it differently, he'd have gotten ARod more.

Thremp 11-18-2007 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love all the misinformed Yankee hating going on in this thread.

Somehow this turned into Boras calling the Yankees bluff and the Yankees came crawling back to A-Rod and Boras, while Boras is agent of the year and the Yankees bitched out. So wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow "If he opts out, we won't negotiate" is left out. When in reality it means "If he opts out, we cave and give him a fat daddy raise"

Fly is spot on. Why doesn't everyone just randomly spout idiotic media BS instead of looking at facts. Teh Ghey Rod makes more dollars opting out than signing initially.

CharlieDontSurf 11-18-2007 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Boras got ARod more than anyone else would have. I also think that, if Boras had played it differently, he'd have gotten ARod more.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree but would other agents have misplayed the pre-opt out as badly as Boras did?

Zutroy 11-18-2007 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agree but would other agents have misplayed the pre-opt out as badly as Boras did?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite understand why you think Boras misplayed this. He got his 32 year old client the biggest deal in MLB history and a raise. Do you really think the Yankees would have given him more money just because they felt like it if he hadn't opted out? (I'm not sure this is your argument but that sounds like what you are contending.)

He was still under contract for two more years, IIRC, and was coming off a MVP caliber season. The opt out forced the Yankees to sign a ridiculously long deal if they wanted to keep him. If they didn't he would have free agency to seek a comparable deal. No one was realistically going to pay 350 million dollars.

rwperu34 11-18-2007 04:42 AM

As I said in the pre opt out days, if A-Rod opts out, it's a disaster for both the Yankees and A-Rod. That's nearly what happened, although both have come to their senses and are trying to get a deal done. Regardless, this is a clear loss for, the Yankees, A-Rod, and Boras.

Zutroy 11-18-2007 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said in the pre opt out days, if A-Rod opts out, it's a disaster for both the Yankees and A-Rod. That's nearly what happened, although both have come to their senses and are trying to get a deal done. Regardless, this is a clear loss for, the Yankees, A-Rod, and Boras.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it a loss for Arod or Boras, though? Boras got his client a deal that will pay him until he's 42 at possibly the highest salary in the league. Did anybody really think he would get 30-35 million a year? I don't know that much about baseball contracts but that seems like a very unrealistic number.

CharlieDontSurf 11-18-2007 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite understand why you think Boras misplayed this. He got his 32 year old client the biggest deal in MLB history and a raise. Do you really think the Yankees would have given him more money just because they felt like it if he hadn't opted out? (I'm not sure this is your argument but that sounds like what you are contending.)

He was still under contract for two more years, IIRC, and was coming off a MVP caliber season. The opt out forced the Yankees to sign a ridiculously long deal if they wanted to keep him. If they didn't he would have free agency to seek a comparable deal. No one was realistically going to pay 350 million dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh lol

if the yankees didnt come to an agreement before the 10 days are up then he opts out and the yankees can stick with what they said or bid with other teams.

he didnt get 10 years because he was a free agent lol. he would have gotten it preopt out...the only difference is there was no market for him like Boras and probably even the yankees thought there might be.

prior to the opt out this could have been speculated but u dont know...so there is that sense of worry about what if he hits the market. this creates leverage. Boras didnt even try to use that to make the yankees pay 30 million + per year.
why? because he truly believed there would be a lot of bidders for Arod's services who would either make a outragous offer or simply force the yankees to match team boras' demands. there weren't.

CharlieDontSurf 11-18-2007 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it a loss for Arod or Boras, though? Boras got his client a deal that will pay him until he's 42 at possibly the highest salary in the league. Did anybody really think he would get 30-35 million a year? I don't know that much about baseball contracts but that seems like a very unrealistic number.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh yes.it would have been very possible for Boras to get the yankees up to 10 years 300 million pre-opt out. Hell the extra 20-30 million from texas is an extra 2-3 million per year. now in the grand scheme of things who cares about a extra 30 million when yr getting 270 million...but in strictly agent/negotiating sense...this was a key mistake by Boras....especially since he also made his client look bad in the process of opting out.

given what the market ended up looking like for Arod...the only chance of this happening was in the 10 days pre opt

Vyse 11-18-2007 05:05 AM

except the yankees didn't believe any other team would give A-Rod what he demanded. A-Rod opted out and obviously there was a lot of interest that A-Rod would've been gone, getting a similar offer from other teams, so the Yanks had to pay to re-up to keep him because they need him more than vice versa. I bet once they explored the market for other 3Bs that was increasingly evident to Cashman.

Zutroy 11-18-2007 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh yes.it would have been very possible for Boras to get the yankees up to 10 years 300 million pre-opt out. Hell the extra 20-30 million from texas is an extra 2-3 million per year. now in the grand scheme of things who cares about a extra 30 million when yr getting 270 million...but in strictly agent/negotiating sense...this was a key mistake by Boras....especially since he also made his client look bad in the process of opting out.

given what the market ended up looking like for Arod...the only chance of this happening was in the 10 days pre opt

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know this though? If there was no market after he opted out, why would there be one that frightened the Yankees so before? You seem adamant that all of the sudden the market changed but why? The only thing that changed was that Boras came out and said he wanted a 350 million deal. The Yankees clearly know enough to know that, even though there are some stupid teams out there, no one was going to give him that deal.

A-Rod is 32, plays 3b and likely can't go back to SS. His "chocking" in the play offs would likely have mattered to the teams stupid enough to pay the 350 million. He was never going to make 30-35 million per and Boras knew it. At least that's my opinion.

Edited to add, aren't there some incentives in this proposed contract that would bump it up to around 300 mill anyway?

CharlieDontSurf 11-18-2007 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know this though? If there was no market after he opted out, why would there be one that frightened the Yankees so before? You seem adamant that all of the sudden the market changed but why? The only thing that changed was that Boras came out and said he wanted a 350 million deal. The Yankees clearly know enough to know that, even though there are some stupid teams out there, no one was going to give him that deal.

A-Rod is 32, plays 3b and likely can't go back to SS. His "chocking" in the play offs would likely have mattered to the teams stupid enough to pay the 350 million. He was never going to make 30-35 million per and Boras knew it. At least that's my opinion.

Edited to add, aren't there some incentives in this proposed contract that would bump it up to around 300 mill anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

because only the Yankees could inflate the market...if its Giants vs. Angels arod isnt getting 270 million. but if its LA + SF + NYY + plus a couple of pretenders he could get well above it.

The Yankees assumed that if he went into the market Boras would use the other teams to make his price go up to something nutty. I don't they were convinced that this would happen but it was certainly possible and they wouldnt have taken the chance and given Arod what he wanted-see posada/rivera. So Arod probably could have gotten 10 years: 300 plus revenue from HR 800 etc.

Why do i think this? because the yankees were fully prepared to give Arod 275 for 10 years. add a bit more per year given Arod has more leverage pre opt out + 21 or 30 million and you've got a better contract.

The bigger question is why did the Yankees agree to do 275 for 10 when they could have easily done 250-10 etc given the lack of a market for Arod post opt out

Vyse 11-18-2007 05:43 AM

lol to the post above me

CharlieDontSurf 11-18-2007 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol to the post above me

[/ QUOTE ]

the only thing to lol at is the fact that Vyse is so [censored] stupid he thinks 275m + 21 m + HR revenue + good image < 275 million + HR revenue + pissing off media/NYY fan base/and just looking like an ass in general.