Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Phil Hellmuth best holdem player by far (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546490)

Halfpoint 11-15-2007 02:48 AM

Re: Phil Hellmuth best holdem player by far

[ QUOTE ]
When are we going to get Helmuth's FTP screen name already?

[/ QUOTE ]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...popcornsd9.gif

Paul Thomson 11-15-2007 03:09 AM

link please

limon 11-15-2007 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love how he says stuff like "I used to crush all the cash games 10 years ago."

I wonder if he has any idea how incredibly soft those games must've been back then compared to today's games. I mean, live poker NOW is soft, can you imagine pre-poker boom cash games? mmmmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, cash games pre-poker boom were much more difficult than today. It's also why you could rarely find a NL or PL game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Level? Please?

[/ QUOTE ]

srsly

Someone with a ton of NL experience back then was probably someone who had played like 10,000 hands lifetime. Now with all the info available, with people who have played millions of hands and studied the game with tools like Pokerstove (keep in mind the Hellmuth who apparently crushed these games was the same one who thought AKo was a favorite over AK suited).... geez pre-boom games must've been 5x softer.

If they were tough it would only be because they were incredibly nitty, or maybe you could argue that there's so much more just complete dead tourist money today in live games, but still with not even the best players being that good by today's standards, NL back then must've been cake.

[/ QUOTE ]

the games then were the same as the games now. remember 10 years ago there was only 1 big bet game in the entire city of los angeles. and the players who crushed that game are still the exact same crew that crushes the big games at commerce now exept back then they were all at the same table and now you can choose between 50 different tables w/ a new 22 year old donk trying to break in every minute of every day of the week.

imabigdeal 11-15-2007 03:17 AM

hellmuth may not be a great cash game player yet, but it seems like he's a lot better than he used to be. i was pretty impressed by his play on this season's HSP

PokerHatesMe 11-15-2007 03:42 AM

wowowowowow anyone watching PAD right now? HELLMUTH IS GETTIN READY TO EXPLODE ON FATMAN HOWARD WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PHIL IN 4 ROUNDS FTW !!!!

corpseartist 11-15-2007 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
OMGurSBluigiiii

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: halfpoint what happened to your photobucket [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I didnt get to save the microphone guy [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

jmill2511 11-15-2007 04:32 AM

Hellmuth has 6 BBs
Hellmuth raises to 2.5x with K6o
Hellmuth folds to shove, leaving himself 3.5x BBs.
Hellmuth picks up AA the next hand , and claims " that's why you fold the K6, no internet player can make that fold", to justify why you should raise fold with a 6BB stack.

Hellmuth is world class.

jmill2511 11-15-2007 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth has 6 BBs
Hellmuth picks up AA the next hand , and claims " that's why you fold the K6, no internet player can make that fold", to justify why you should raise fold with a 6BB stack.

Hellmuth is world class.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG HE HAS 11 BRACELETS YOUD IDIOT! YOU DONT KNOW POKER AT ALL!

overthaline 11-15-2007 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth has 6 BBs

Hellmuth is world class.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

qft imo

Hollywade 11-15-2007 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't he just shut up and play the highest games on full tilt? He should prove himself instead of all the talk, there's no doubt he's serious

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming he means live games, which is a different story altogether.

TheWatermeloN 11-15-2007 04:59 AM

Hellmuth wins again. He just does this to get publicity, probably doesnt mean half the crap he says. Well I hope he doesnt. Anyways, the poker brat image has become very marketable so he keeps doing this [censored]. My mother and 12 year old sister know who Hellmuth is and they dont even know how to play poker. No wonder he so rich.

jmill2511 11-15-2007 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth has 6 BBs

Hellmuth is world class.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

qft imo

[/ QUOTE ]

blueodum 11-15-2007 05:06 AM

I'll assume that most of the responses here are levels.

In the last four years, Hellmuth has won one heads up invitational and a couple of low buy in super donkaments at the WSOP (nearly every pro that's asked says the structure of these massive 1500/2500 WSOPs is terrible). His record in WPT events (i.e. the deepstack live events) is mediocre (that's being charitable) for the self-proclaimed best holdem player in the world.

The guy rarely plays cash games these days. The best NLHE cash game players would eat him alive (I'm talking live players here). On TV, the guy talks non-stop about what his thinking is about every hand (and he's not trying to be deceptive). This is monumentally stupid when playing against decent opposition.

In limit cash games, Hellmuth is not even close to an elite player.

With so much technical knowledge about poker available, it is evident that Hellmuth is one of those old-school pros that the game has passed by. He can't, however, admit this, and therefore refuses to adjust.

Halfpoint 11-15-2007 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
OMGurSBluigiiii

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: halfpoint what happened to your photobucket [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I didnt get to save the microphone guy [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

enjoyhttp://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...t/an_speak.gif

Striker 11-15-2007 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
someone post a youtube link pls

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enRsFz3LlOw

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I was expecting some stupid video.... but that was SICK

that dude got rocked hard...

JokersAttack 11-15-2007 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll assume that most of the responses here are levels.

In the last four years, Hellmuth has won one heads up invitational and a couple of low buy in super donkaments at the WSOP (nearly every pro that's asked says the structure of these massive 1500/2500 WSOPs is terrible). His record in WPT events (i.e. the deepstack live events) is mediocre (that's being charitable) for the self-proclaimed best holdem player in the world.

The guy rarely plays cash games these days. The best NLHE cash game players would eat him alive (I'm talking live players here). On TV, the guy talks non-stop about what his thinking is about every hand (and he's not trying to be deceptive). This is monumentally stupid when playing against decent opposition.

In limit cash games, Hellmuth is not even close to an elite player.

With so much technical knowledge about poker available, it is evident that Hellmuth is one of those old-school pros that the game has passed by. He can't, however, admit this, and therefore refuses to adjust.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're just too dumb to understand phil hellmuth's nuance and high level thinking when it comes to all forms of poker.

stop berating the world's most famous and best hold'em player that is also profficient at other forms of the game, and nascar.

toptwopear 11-15-2007 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth has 6 BBs

Hellmuth is annoying

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

zen_rounder 11-15-2007 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Can't he just shut up and play the highest games on full tilt?

[/ QUOTE ]

he already does, and he crushes them. He just cant publicly talk about it because he is sponsored by UB and isnt supposed to be playing anywhere else. I thought this was pretty common knowledge?

[/ QUOTE ]

he plays 300/600 on FTP?? ahahah leveled?

quirkasaurus 11-15-2007 12:51 PM

11 wsop bracelets, and then someone is worrying about whether
he plays a 100k match heads-up? or if Phil Ivey respects his
cash game skills?

what does it take to impress people around here anyways?

you might as well say Phil is terrible at roshambo therefore...

i think the pros are loathe to compliment Phil H. too much
for the obvious reason that Phil's personality makes such
compliments superfluous.

suzy89222 11-15-2007 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how he says stuff like "I used to crush all the cash games 10 years ago."

I wonder if he has any idea how incredibly soft those games must've been back then compared to today's games. I mean, live poker NOW is soft, can you imagine pre-poker boom cash games? mmmmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

as someone who has been playing for a decade (pro for 7 years), i can tell you that is NOT true. yes, the great players are better now, but the bad players are much worse these days and there are more of them.

benlj21 11-15-2007 01:12 PM

this would be better in TV forum but there was a hand on PAD where Phil H limped in and someone raised and he was talking about his hand, basically giving away its strength. Jen said something like "you wouldn't give away your hand by talking would you" and Phil said "no they know I have a big hand" etc when it was obv from his previous talk that he had a very marginal hand and probably wasn't going to call. So basically he did give his hand away then weakly tried to cover it up, very donkish imo.

Daddy Warbucks 11-15-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as someone who has been playing for a decade (pro for 7 years), i can tell you that is NOT true. yes, the great players are better now, but the bad players are much worse these days and there are more of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, its kind of a double edge sword, while there wasn't as much literature/learning tools back then, poker wasn't as trendy, so there was a lot less dead money.

F0rtysxity 11-15-2007 02:18 PM

If you don't consider Phil a great NL hold'em tournament player then you're a fool.

Next.

VitoT 11-15-2007 02:19 PM

so what is the correct link to the video ?

The 13th 4postle 11-15-2007 02:35 PM

Obviously Phil Hellmuth has proved that he is the best NLHE Tournament player... I don't think anyone doubts that but what they do doubt is that he is a great cash game player which he is not.

You have to give it too him though, he plays at his strengths and makes a lot of money.

I really doubt he plays the highest stakes on FTP lol...

Redgrape 11-15-2007 02:55 PM

Can someone call out Hellmuth please?

ActionFreak 11-15-2007 02:56 PM

i would really like to know how many tournaments Hellmuth and the other leading bracelet winners have played in. it would be interesting to know winning percentages and final table percentages

TheMainEvent 11-15-2007 03:21 PM

I love to hate on Phil but I have to admit he makes some bizarre precise reads with not much information that have no logical explaination to me. Not like DN who just guesses every possible hand and occasionally gets it right, Phil seems to be right a lot more than he should be.

zen_rounder 11-15-2007 04:25 PM

good at holdem donkaments for sure. the wsop horse episodes on espn where they interveiw players in the chair,it was hilarious when it was hellmouths time to tell the world how it is!

DavidSRT 11-15-2007 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
are you implying there's someone better?

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG unpossible do not speak such blasphelmuth

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i second this

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOLed

Bryan15 11-15-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
are you implying there's someone better?

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG unpossible do not speak such blasphelmuth

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i second this

[/ QUOTE ]
very funny

I LOLed

[/ QUOTE ]

Halfpoint 11-15-2007 05:52 PM

Hellmuth--->http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...fpoint/lie.gif

MiltonFriedman 11-15-2007 06:45 PM

He is my hero, but then again, I play like he drives.

fadedstar 11-15-2007 08:33 PM

blah blah blah.. being the best or not... respectable or merely average... the guy still won more money than most of you at poker and have extra $$ to give TJ Cloutier by compassion, month after month...

DoubleDealDecker 11-15-2007 09:20 PM

Phil Helmuth is an Apostate. I spit on him and all those who would follow him. In my country, he would be dragged into the market place after Saturday morning prayers in silver chains and beheaded. Death to Phil, Death to No limit Texas Hold'em
tournaments, Death to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrMore 11-16-2007 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason that Phil wins more tournaments than anyone else is that he compulsively enters more tournaments than anyone else. Please discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of the millions of people who have tried tournament poker, he is the distribution's far right outlier, with some accounting for the fact that tourney winners are much more likely to keep playing tourneys, greatly increasing the chances of repeat winners. Someone has to be the most extreme outlier. It's him. It means nothing more than that.

[Phill] 11-16-2007 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love to hate on Phil but I have to admit he makes some bizarre precise reads with not much information that have no logical explaination to me. Not like DN who just guesses every possible hand and occasionally gets it right, Phil seems to be right a lot more than he should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see the WSOP ME footage of DN - he was sick good with his reads. But yeah, Phil has made some great reads on TV - but then you gotta wonder how many misreads arent shown. I remember a few years back when he mucked KK pre in the main event after calling over the cameras to look. The other guy had JJ.

If you havent seen it, Phils play in the HORSE event was hilariously bad. He rates himself one of the words best in all the games then makes a fundamental error in just about every hand shown - including stacking off with a jack in razz to KO him IIRC.

But he does make sick reads - and he does verbally attack players - this has lead to what Gobbo amongst others have realised - what i call the Hellmuth Factor.

It is fear from being shown up and looking bad which means he can pretty much dominate the WSOPs with their weak fields - but when it comes to stuff with better players like the WPTs or various cash games he doesnt do well and most of what he does is advertising for the Hellmuth brand.

Also, watching his stupidly large bets in certain HSP hands this season its clear just how uncomfortable he is when deeper than 30BBs, hence him not turning up to tourneys till an hour or two in.

DoubleDealDecker 11-16-2007 01:36 AM

OK... We have tried to be nice about this Phil Phriends...so please answer this ---- Who is the little crybaby, Mommy's Boy, Girlyman, who cried just like the big sissy boy that he, and all his admirers, are when Annie Duke triple check raised bluffed the big p*ssyboy to the Tournament of Champions $2 million belt. His crying like a baby is probably the greatest moment in the history of Internet wussiness until you wussy PhilPhriends try to reply to this.
Thanks for your Philphriend wussiness in wussy advance!!!

Micro Donk 11-16-2007 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He rates himself one of the words best in all the games then makes a fundamental error in just about every hand shown - including stacking off with a jack in razz to KO him IIRC.

[/ QUOTE ]

he was all in on 3rd street with a 972

ItSucksBro 11-17-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Can't he just shut up and play the highest games on full tilt?

[/ QUOTE ]

he already does, and he crushes them. He just cant publicly talk about it because he is sponsored by UB and isnt supposed to be playing anywhere else. I thought this was pretty common knowledge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats his name on Full Tilt bro?